Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 2nd, 2007, 10:42 PM
Beginner

Default Pearl to Alaska - question about dining

How do I find out which restaurants have a surcharge and what does that mean? I'm presuming it's less than what we pay at a restaurant normally, but any example of the costs?
Also, is the Blue Lagoon the only thing that is open 24 hrs?
Thanks-[/b]
Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2007, 10:12 AM
Admiral

I can only answer part of your question as I haven't been on the Pearl yet.

Yes, Blue Lagoon is the only thing open 24 hours a day but you don't need anything else. They have a limited but outstanding menu: fish and chips, sandwhiches, salads, chili, buffalo wings, etc.

As for speicalty dining, all NCL ships have Le Bistro their flagship specialty dining room, plus a steak house, an Oriental dining room and Italian. The names may be different but they food is similar. On the Jewel Mama's kitchen, the Italian restaurant was free, but on the
Sun the Italian restaurant has a sur charge. Additional charges will run between $12.50 and $20.00. There may be one special in the Steak hourse or Le Bistro that is a little more. Yes, this is less than the same food at a good land restaurant with similar service and just as good food. NMnita
Old March 4th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Captain

Default Re: Pearl to Alaska - question about dining

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityshopper
How do I find out which restaurants have a surcharge and what does that mean? I'm presuming it's less than what we pay at a restaurant normally, but any example of the costs?
Also, is the Blue Lagoon the only thing that is open 24 hrs?
Thanks-[/b]
Blue Lagoon on the pearl is open about 20 hours a day. At dinner time it is used for seating at Mombo's Latin no fee specialty rest.

Surcharges run from a low of $10 to a high of $20 pp.

La Cucina (italian free) Mombo's (free) Blue Lagoon (Free) Summer place and Indigo (free)

Don't forget about the Garden cafe - with the new cooked almost to order action stations it is not your old buffet anymore. Seating is very comfortable and I expect at a premium in Alsaka. The Gret Outdoors seating may be too cool and lots of folks like on the Sun will park themselves at a window table for the day.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old March 4th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Admiral

We tried going to the Blue Lagoon on at least 3 occasions.
Even though there were people at only one or two tables, we were never seated.

While eating at Mambo's (across the ship) we could see into the Blue Lagoon and never saw any wait staff.

Good luck.
Old March 8th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Beginner

Hi there,
We're going on the repositioning from LA to VAN and I've been doing alot of research as its my thing and found the following link that someone created that has the menus (for the Pearl). Its pretty cool. It also lists the surcharges as well.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/547...DSgKZ?start=12
Old March 10th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Beginner

Thanks everyone for your answers! I appreciate it. We are really looking forward to going, just wanted to know what to expect.

Thanks!
Old March 20th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Beginner

There is also room service which has a limited menu but is 24 hours a day.
Old March 28th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to steveknj Send a message via Yahoo to steveknj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdngirl
Hi there,
We're going on the repositioning from LA to VAN and I've been doing alot of research as its my thing and found the following link that someone created that has the menus (for the Pearl). Its pretty cool. It also lists the surcharges as well.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/547...DSgKZ?start=12
I don't think that's the Pearl as the restaurant names are different. But the food does sound great. From what I understand, the food has improved immesurable on NCL, which used to have a rep for so-so cuisine.
Old April 7th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Cityshopper: I returned from the Pearl mid-January. Here's a list of the specialty restaurants that do charge a cover (it's minimal for what you get).

Lotus Garden: $10 (Asian fusion)
Shabu-Shabu: $10 (Mongolian hot pot at your table)
Sushi Bar: $15
Cagney's Steakhouse: $20 (grilled meats, 30's style ambiance)
Le Bistro: $15 (French cuisine)
Teppanyaki: $20 (fresh grilled Japanese style)

Blue Lagoon is the only 24 hour spot. But most of the restaurants are open late until 11 pm, and late night snack until 11:30 pm at the Great Outdoors. And there's always room service

Steve
Old April 24th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Beginner

Just got back from a cruise on the Pearl. Blue Lagoon was the only one open 24 hours and the food was good, though limited- and service at this restaurant was not what it should be. Hopefuly- THAT issue is being addressed.

There were cover changes for the Asian restuarant, Cagney's steakhouse and for the Japanese restaurant. The Mexican and Italian were free, but did also need reservations. The cover charges ranged from $10- $20/per person. They had several nights that were 2 for one specials though. The food was very good- the Italian restaurant was our favorite.

The Blue Lagoon was almost always empty- they had GREAT Buffalo wings!! Enjoy your cruise
Old April 24th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbw
Just got back from a cruise on the Pearl. Blue Lagoon was the only one open 24 hours and the food was good, though limited- and service at this restaurant was not what it should be. Hopefuly- THAT issue is being addressed.

There were cover changes for the Asian restuarant, Cagney's steakhouse and for the Japanese restaurant. The Mexican and Italian were free, but did also need reservations. The cover charges ranged from $10- $20/per person. They had several nights that were 2 for one specials though. The food was very good- the Italian restaurant was our favorite.

The Blue Lagoon was almost always empty- they had GREAT Buffalo wings!! Enjoy your cruise
What about LE Bistro?
Old April 24th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Admiral

WINGS? There were WINGS???