Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 11th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Passenger

Default Reward Points

Does anyone know how the NCL credit card reward points work?
Are the points equivalent to dollar for dollar, or valued at less than the point amount?
What about the upgrades - how does that work?
Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

At 500 points, you can request a $500 certificate to be applied to your cruise. I've redeemed $2,000 worth of points so far -- and it's definitely helping fund my cruise addiction!

The upgrades are available starting at 250 points, but the general consensus is that it's a waste of money to use them for upgrades. Let them build up until you've got at least 500 to redeem for the certificate.
Old March 11th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Familiar Face

Definately save up your points till you get at lease 500. $500 off of a cruise is much better than any upgrade. Watch the fine print cause it takes 6-8 weeks to get a certificate (of points) and you must use that certificate to SAIL on year from the date of issue.
Old March 11th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Passenger

Thanks, we do have over 500 points, so we will use against the cost of the cruise.
Old March 11th, 2007, 04:43 PM
First Mate

Just remember you are only alowed to accumulate so many points a year and once you reach your limit for points in the year, the points stop accumualting. What is it 2,000 points/yr?? I cant remember. Magnolia blossom knows...

our upcoming cruise we got $2000 off! I think we are gonna put sailing ncl on hold for a while after this one and save our points up for a big one ...hawii or alaska or mediteranian? Is there a limit amt of points you can put towards a cruise? anyone know?
NCL JEWEL 4/9/2006
DISNEY WONDER 6/15/06
NCL SUN 1/23/07 (girls trip!)
NCL PEARL 3/30/07
RCCI MAJESTY OF THE SEAS 8/27/07
NCL Sky 8/31/09 (Mom's Bday Cruise)
Disney Magic 10/17/09 with the baby!!
Next Cruise...NCL Dawn 6/6/10 NYC to Bermuda ;-)
Old March 11th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

One other note. I'm sure you should plan on leaving 6-8 weeks for the certificates to arrive, but I've never had mine take anywhere near that long. For the one I just redeemed, I ordered it on Feb. 8, and received it on Feb. 17. I was worried since that was after the program switched from MBNA to BofA, but that's about the same amount of time the previous redemption took.

As far as a total per year, I think it's only 1,000 per year. I've heard of several posters who have more than one, in order to avoid maxing out annually.
Old March 13th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Captain

Oh goody, we're talking about my favoritest thing - FREE cruising!

You get 1 point for every $33 you spend, unless it is with NCL then you get 1 point per $25.

Certificates can be used with any TA, online company or NCL direct. They are treated as gift certificates. No strings attached. (unlike some of the other cruise lines' programs). They can be used on any cruise.

There is no limit to the number of certificates you can use per cruise. I just paid for a $6500 Alaska cruise with certificates.

Certificates actually take 2-3 weeks to receive, even though they say 6 - 8.

You can only get 1,000 points per year. It is not a calendar year, but your 12 month cycle.

You can have multiple cards - I have 6.

Points are good for 3 years but certificates are good for one year and must not expire prior to sailing. Not booking - sailing!

You can use them toward your cruise even if you've already made final payment. The $ charged to your CC for the cruise is credited back.

Wait til you've got 500 points, the upgrades are not worth it.

They only come in one denomination - 500 points.

Be sure to keep photocopies of both sides when you send them in.

Be sure to send them by trackable mail, FedEx, etc.

You can send them either to your TA or NCL direct. Ask your TA which he prefers and let him know how much credit you've sent in, in the event he wants you to mail them direct.

They are non-transferable. They must be used on a cabin with your name on it, or the name of any authorized user on the card.

If you need two cabins, put your name on one and your spouse's on the other. It's easy to straighten out on board.

They can be used toward an entire package (air, hotel, cruise) but not toward on board expenses. Rats!

I've done 6 or 7 cruises free or almost so with the certificates and it's a terrific program.

Enjoy!
Old March 14th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Passenger

Thanks Magnolia Blossom!
Old March 14th, 2007, 08:20 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Blossom
They can be used toward an entire package (air, hotel, cruise) but not toward on board expenses. Rats!
I didn't know you can use them towards the air/hotel too?!! That is awesome news. Just wait till I tell my DH!!!!
NCL JEWEL 4/9/2006
DISNEY WONDER 6/15/06
NCL SUN 1/23/07 (girls trip!)
NCL PEARL 3/30/07
RCCI MAJESTY OF THE SEAS 8/27/07
NCL Sky 8/31/09 (Mom's Bday Cruise)
Disney Magic 10/17/09 with the baby!!
Next Cruise...NCL Dawn 6/6/10 NYC to Bermuda ;-)
Old March 14th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Captain

re: air/hotel and points:

(someday I'm gonna learn how to use the quote feature)

I used them 3 years ago on the Baltic for hotel and I was told I could use them for air but I used freq. flier miles instead.

If anyone else has experience otherwise, please chime in.