CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Norwegian Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/)
-   -   NCLA Hawaii cruises... rental car strategies? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/330047-ncla-hawaii-cruises-rental-car-strategies.html)

jwtseng March 17th, 2007 12:38 PM

NCLA Hawaii cruises... rental car strategies?

I just noticed that NCLA is offering a one day rental car listed in the shore excursions for Maui and Kaui. I think it's listed as $39. What are people's thoughts on this? Is this likely to sell out fast? Would I do better to arrange a rental ahead of time from the airport? I have heard that some companies will drop off at the port?

Kuki March 17th, 2007 12:43 PM

If NCL is charging $39 that's a pretty good rate.

We've rented on our own several times on Hawaii cruises, and don't believe we've ever found much cheaper than that.

In some ports, some of the rental agencies do not have port pick up... so you want to be certain of this if you book on your own.

Jaimecruise April 10th, 2007 08:15 PM

I'm leaving for Pride of America cruise in 2 1/2 weeks. I've been doing my homework though and the $39 charge is for 4 hours, then the rates go up from there. I opted to get rental cars through other agencies. They have shuttles every 10 minutes. Pick you up from port to take you to the agency to p/u your car, then return the car and they will shuttle you back to port. Have fun cruising.

David West April 10th, 2007 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaimecruise
I'm leaving for Pride of America cruise in 2 1/2 weeks. I've been doing my homework though and the $39 charge is for 4 hours, then the rates go up from there. I opted to get rental cars through other agencies. They have shuttles every 10 minutes. Pick you up from port to take you to the agency to p/u your car, then return the car and they will shuttle you back to port. Have fun cruising.

This is alittle of subject but, Looking for a motel in Hawaii for a precruise stay. What have you found :?:
Also, Kuki - I would love to hear your ideas or suggestions.
Beach area, close to the terminal is great.

Thanks for your input;
David

Jaimecruise April 10th, 2007 11:33 PM

We are staying at Marriott Waikiki only because that is where my TA set it up for. He said it was nice and close to port where we board our ship. I have found that they have Hertz rental in the lobby so we don't have to worry about taking the car back to the airport and paying for extra taxi's.

David West April 11th, 2007 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaimecruise
We are staying at Marriott Waikiki only because that is where my TA set it up for. He said it was nice and close to port where we board our ship. I have found that they have Hertz rental in the lobby so we don't have to worry about taking the car back to the airport and paying for extra taxi's.

Happy Cruising to all; :D
David

odie2101 April 22nd, 2007 10:39 PM

We rented a van for 6 people at Maui through NCL. It cost $89 for 12 hours. We were picked up at the pier and taken to the rental agency. You pay for the rental and then you fill up the gas tank before you turn it in. We did the Road to Hana and had to put $28 worth of gas in the van. It ended up costing us a little over $20 each for a whole days worth for driving.
Another couple just got in a shuttle at the pier and rented a car and their car was just $29 for the day. They used about the same amount of gas. Gas is running $3.30 a gallon.
There were shuttles from every car rental agency that you can think of at the pier, so it would be no problem getting to the rental places. The shuttles bring you back to the ship after you turn the car in. You have to check to when the last shuttle runs to the ship, and just be back in time.
The next day 7 of us took a Taxi van to Lahaina. It costs about $75 each way ($12) each person. We took the Taxi drivers phone number and called him and he came back to get us in the middle of town. That way we knew how much we would have to pay to get back to the ship. Lahaina is a beautiful little town with lots of shops. It was one of our favorite places to go.