Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 23rd, 2007, 05:56 PM
Passenger

Default Dawn Engine Problem?

Hi all:

Was reading on line that Dawn has engine problems and had to change itinerary recently to make repairs in Norfolk, Virginia.

I'm sailing 4/23. Wonder if she'll be repaired by then.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks, Nancy
Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2007, 09:47 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Dawn Engine Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanrush
Hi all:

Was reading on line that Dawn has engine problems and had to change itinerary recently to make repairs in Norfolk, Virginia.

Thanks, Nancy
Lets hope so, usually these problems are at least band aides over pretty quickly. l
Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:45 PM
Captain

Default Re: Dawn Engine Problem?

Quote:
Hi all:

Thanks, Nancy
The Norfolk problem was months ago - The Dawn has a problem with one of four engines but continues to cruies each week with minor changes to itneraries.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old March 24th, 2007, 03:24 AM
Passenger

The blogs I read were from problems on a sailing occuring mid March 2007 - about two weeks ago.

Nancy
Old March 24th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Captain

Quote:
The blogs I read were from problems on a sailing occuring mid March 2007 - about two weeks ago.

Nancy
I was on the Dawn Feb 18 - March 1. Trust me the Dan has not been to Norfolk this year. We had a minor change in itinerary adding San Juan and dropping Gernada. Great cruise. The current problem effects one of 4 engines reducing cruising speed to 22 knots from 24 knots so requiring a slightly shorter route to stay ontime.

We hit all the ports on the refised intinerary ontime and returned to NYC early allowing those waiting to board ontime.

There was one cruise last year that the Dawn ended up in Norfolk due to storms off NC and an electonics problem. Fixed by the next cruise.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old March 30th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Passenger

The Dawn is scheduled for drydock at the end of May. NCL wont allow bookings for those 2 weeks.

Cunard Countess...9/80
NCL-Majesty...........7/06
NCL-Majesty...........1/07
NCL-Dawn..............9/09
Old March 31st, 2007, 11:49 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to DPMinc

This Just In: Norwegian Dawn Sailings Canceled

This Just In: Norwegian Dawn Sailings Canceled
NCL announced today that, due to problems with the ship's Azipod propulsion system, Norwegian Dawn will have to enter dry-dock on May 29. As a result, two upcoming cruises -- May 26 and June 2 -- have been canceled. The problem was spotted when Norwegian Dawn's engineers saw localized wear in the thrust bearing; in the past few weeks the ship has had to reduce speed in order to limit future wear on the bearing. This issue, the company says in a statement, "has affected only the speed of the vessel and has no impact on the safe operation of the ship."

NCL is offering passengers who are booked on those voyages a full refund and 25 percent credit toward another cruise.

One downside of the May 26 cruise in particular is that it occurs over Memorial Day -- and the holiday could make it challenging for folks to rebook.

Meanwhile NCL, which says in its statement that it "sincerely apologizes for any inconvenience caused by this change and would like to thank our guests and travel partners for their patience and understanding," is also offering unspecified "special incentive offers for a range of other NCL sailings."

The change in plans for Norwegian Dawn has spurred the line to create a two-day Memorial Day weekend cruise; this new cruise, which will go on sale on April 4, is a New York roundtrip. At its conclusion the ship will sail to Boston for its repairs. Norwegian Dawn is expected to resume its scheduled itinerary on June 9.
Norwegian Dream, Sun, Spirit
Royal Caribbean Grandeur/Sea
Old April 4th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Passenger

Just saw this about the Dawn's engine problem. While it does not sound too serious (they are only taking her out of service for 2 weeks), they do mention changes in the itenary.

Since I'm sailing on 5/12, I was wondering if anyone knows what the changes may be?

TIA,

Mark
Big Red Boat July 1988
Old April 4th, 2007, 05:33 PM
First Mate

Just back from 10 days on the Dawn and yes there is a problem of premature wear on some bearings that deal with the propulsion system of the ship. It is no big deal and the ship does 20 knots rather than it's normal 25 - 26 knots. The problem will have to be fixed in dry dock and a man who works in the engine room told me that he thinks it will be fixed in Boston but did not know when. They did change our itinerary and instead of going to their 'private island' in Bahamas we made a stop in Samana, Dominican Republic. If anyone has any questions about the crusie I would be happy to answer.