Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Passenger

Default Lahaina Luau

I've heard that this excursion needs to be booked in advance. I can't seem to find it on the NCL excursions. Is this something I need to book on my own?

Your messages have taught me that the Lahaina Luau is the best.........
Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Passenger

Yes, this you will have to book on your own. There is a site for Old Lahaina. The site will give you everything you need to know, price, times etc.
http://www.oldlahainaluau.com
We booked this luau last November. Glad we did because the luau via NCL was actually cancelled.
Old March 27th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Passenger

Thanks so much TNT. I'm sure there is transportation back to the ship after the Luau?..............

Thanks again, Nancy
Old March 28th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Passenger

No transportation to and from Lahaina.
You can take a taxi, rent a car or carpool with other cruisers going to the Lahaina.
We rented a car for the two days. It the Luau, we rean into others from th POH, we gave them a ride back to the dock. This particular couple indicated that they took a taxi to Lahaina earlier that that for sight seeing and shopping.
Our rent a car was with Enterprise, about 35 dollars per day.
Old March 28th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378

Two points for you;
1. I am soooooo jealous that you are going to Hawaii soon, I wish we were going back.
2.We went on the South Seas Luau by NCl and it was very nice. Transportation and all. Next time we will probably try the one you are talking about.
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old March 28th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Lahaina Luau

I booked it and I think I'll worry about transportation later. Thanks for your help. The lady taking the reservations said the Luau was already 1/3 booked for Aug 8th! Wow, that fills up fast, I'm so glad I took everyones advise to book early...............
Old March 28th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

I hope the one you booked on your own is better than the one through NCL! I booked it through NCL and went last October. It was at the Sheraton Hotel. The transportation was horrendous to say the least. This was one of the largest excursions, not enough buses, long waits in HOT SUN. $100 a person for wayered down drinks and not any Hawaiin food! I expected to see the pig roasting...nope, it was all shredded in a pan. Salad, mashed potatoes, rice, not what I was expecting for a Hawaiin meal. The show was okay, excpet it was the EXACT show that the ship had with their Polynesian dancers except for the fire!
Old March 29th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the advise. I have heard that the Old Lahaina Luau is very authentic. I had trouble finding a luau at all through the cruise line excursions.
Old March 29th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Admiral

topspin, there are actually two luaus at Lahaina, and both are very highly rated. If you Google "Lahaina luau" you will find them both. We spend quite a lot of time on Maui, and in fact just got back from a wonderful month there. It's about 25 miles from Kahalui to Lahaina and at times the traffic can be a bother so make sure you allow plenty of time to get back to your ship. It should never take more than an hour though. I have no idea why NCL docks at Kahalui. Most other lines anchor at Lahaina and tender in.

If you are going to be there for two days I strongly recommend that you rent a car. On the North shore, not far from where your ship docks and on 36, the road to Hana is Mama's Fish House. It is expensive, but fabulous, don't miss it. If you have ever imagined a tropical bar and restaurant in a perfect setting this is it! You never saw anything half as wonderful in the movies.

2 recommended drives: Haleakala summit (it's a national park so it costs $10) allow about 5 hours. On the way back down if time permits stop for lunch at the Khula Inn -- fantastic view from about the 4,000 foot level, and the best gift shop on the island is next door.

Road to Hana. You really don't have to go all the way, there is not much at Hana proper. You can walk in the rain forest and stop at Keanae point for great photo op.

Be sure to go to west Maui (where Lahaina is) check out the beach walk at Kaanapali beach from Whaler's Village. If you are going soon, you will see lots of Humpbacks in the channel between Maui and Lanai and Molokai.

Bon voyage, and remember that "Maui no ka oi." Maui is the best.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old March 29th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Passenger

Wow! Thanks for all the great insight. Mama's Fish House will definitely be a part of our vacation! I don't think we will get to see the humpbacks, I still have to wait four more months before I can start singing my vacation song. (I can't wait........ )

I will rent the car like you suggested. We will also be spending 5 days at the Four Season Resorts on Lani'. So I will check out the West coast recommendations then. Thank you so much for the heads up!
Old March 29th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Admiral

De nada -- enjoy!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old April 5th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378

richstacy,
when is the best time to see the humpbacks? we will be going back to Hawaii for our fith anniversary (went on our honeymoon-October 2005) and would like to see them.
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old April 5th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Passenger

Hi Big E. The best time to see the whales is in the winter. They like the cooler water.

Royal Caribbean-eastern Caribbean
Royal Caribbean-western Caribbean
Holland America-Alaska
NCL-Aug 6, 2007 Hawaii
Old April 5th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Admiral

The best time for whale watching In Hawaii is January through March. some would say mid December through mid April. They are in Hawaii then for calving and breeding, then they head back to Alaska to eat and gain weight for a few months, before heading south again. Februalry is probably the peek.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08