Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 27th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Captain

Default NCL not cruising out of Houston anymore?

Just wondering? It sure would have been convienent!

I was hoping to do this cruise next January, with the kids. Any word one if they will return?
Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

There's quite a few of us hoping that they return to Houston. We unfortunately do have to fly their too, but it's a much easier flight than going clear to Florida.

From reading this and other boards, NCL is being squeezed our of their current pier due to needs of the container ships. The Port of Houston is building a new cruise terminal, but so far none of the cruise lines have signed up to sail from there. Hopefully NCL wlll be returning once it's ready to go, but no one knows for sure.
Old March 27th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Admiral

Ute-fan took my words. All we can hope for, at this time, is when the new port is built, NCL will decide to come back. They were the ones that introduced the Houston area to the Western Caribbean cruising about 10 years ago. At that time no one even sailed out of Galveston. The ship NCL was using was named the Star (nothing to do with what is now the Star) it was an older ship and had many mechanical problems but at least it sailed out of Houston. Then Galveston became a port and Carnival as well as other lines jumped on board. The Star left Houston and the NCL Sea took over. After a few years they too, left Houston, just to return for a couple more years. As many know the Sea is now a gambling ship and no longer being used here. The Dream took over about 2 years ago. The rest is history. NMnita
Old April 1st, 2007, 05:10 PM
Captain

Just got off the Sun this morning and was chatting yesterday with the onboard booking agent and he confirmed that NCL will not be doing the Texaribbean next season. Asked if they would return the followng season he just shrugged and said "who knows". I did put in my vote for them to return. We sailed from there several times and the ships seemed to be full so I can't imagine that NCL would let the opportunity to fill that niche slip away.
Old April 1st, 2007, 05:11 PM
Captain

One more thing - the Sun (which is one of our favorite ships) will not be returning to N.O., but the Spirit will take its place.
Old April 1st, 2007, 10:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Blossom
One more thing - the Sun (which is one of our favorite ships) will not be returning to N.O., but the Spirit will take its place.
Golly, even TAs can learn. Is the Spirit going to do NOLA starting this fall? NMNita
Old April 2nd, 2007, 09:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Nita,

You must have missed my whining about this last year when they announced the itineraries . As you know, I've loved NCL, but I'm sure not happy with their itineraries for the upcoming Caribbean season.

IMO, they've flooded the Miami market for NCL. You've got the Pearl and the Jewel doing the alternating 9/5 day Eastern/Western itineraries, the Sun doing a 7 day Western Caribbean (which apparently is including Roatan -- one benefit), and the Dawn doing a 7 day Eastern itinerary.

I'm hoping that they'll plan on moving the Sun back to Houston, as it's doing basically the same itinerary that the Sea and the Dream have been doing, with an additional stop at GSC as they head back to Miami. From what I've read, it sounds like they lost the current pier at Houston to container traffic, which is no big loss, but I'm hoping they'll end up positioning the Sun at the new Port of Houston, whenever it opens.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute_fan
Hi Nita,

You must have missed my whining about this last year when they announced the itineraries . As you know, I've loved NCL, but I'm sure not happy with their itineraries for the upcoming Caribbean season.

IMO, they've flooded the Miami market for NCL. You've got the Pearl and the Jewel doing the alternating 9/5 day Eastern/Western itineraries, the Sun doing a 7 day Western Caribbean (which apparently is including Roatan -- one benefit), and the Dawn doing a 7 day Eastern itinerary.

I'm hoping that they'll plan on moving the Sun back to Houston, as it's doing basically the same itinerary that the Sea and the Dream have been doing, with an additional stop at GSC as they head back to Miami. From what I've read, it sounds like they lost the current pier at Houston to container traffic, which is no big loss, but I'm hoping they'll end up positioning the Sun at the new Port of Houston, whenever it opens.
i too hope they return the Sun to either Houston or NOLA. Maybe that is why they are flooding the market out of Miami, just a temporary move. What surprised me was the Magnolia's information about the Spirit. I don't know how I missed that. NMnita
Old April 7th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Beginner

Hi Nita,
I sailed with you on the NCL Sea Panama Canal cruise.
I was on the NCL Sun in early Feb and it was announced then that the Sun would leave New Orleans and be replaced by the Spirit.
I agree with you that NCL should stay in Houston, they did a lot to develop cruising out of that area and it would be a shame to see NCL leave the Houston area. I sailed out of there in the mid 90's on the old Starward under the name of Norwegian Star.

MO cruiser
Old April 7th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO cruiser
Hi Nita,
I sailed with you on the NCL Sea Panama Canal cruise.
I was on the NCL Sun in early Feb and it was announced then that the Sun would leave New Orleans and be replaced by the Spirit.
I agree with you that NCL should stay in Houston, they did a lot to develop cruising out of that area and it would be a shame to see NCL leave the Houston area. I sailed out of there in the mid 90's on the old Starward under the name of Norwegian Star.

MO cruiser
Hi to you also: we sailed on the old Star as well. I think it was about 1998; you know we had a good cruise; sure the ship had problems but we still had a good time and the cabins weren't bad either. I am praying the Spirit will do NOLA. I knew of course the Sun was leaving, that too is a shame. NMnita
Old April 7th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Captain

In looking more closely at my 07/08 NCL catalog, I see that the Sun is doing the Hawaii/Fanning Island cruise. Looks like it is replacing the Wind.

I just can't imagine that when the new cruise terminal opens in Houston that NCL will not have a presence there. Especially since they started the whole Texaribbean itinerary. But then again - NCL "discovered" Roatan and yet it was RCCL who got the pier deal and pushed them out entirely for a while. I'm glad they have returned there. Sure wish they still included that itinerary from N.O. While Guatamala is going to be great someday and Belize has nothing to do if you're not on excursion, Roatan certainly added some spice to an otherwise stagnant w. carib. route. Don't get me wrong, I don't where we go (or if we go anywhere!) but it is nice to be tempted to do so!
Old April 7th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sounds like the brochure may have been printed before the last set of itinerary changes were made. The original plan was for the Sun to replace the Wind in Hawaii -- but those plans were changed. The Sun will be based out of Miami, the Spirit is moving to NOLA, and the only ships in Hawaii will be the 3 NCLA ships.
Old April 8th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Sounds like the brochure may have been printed before the last set of itinerary changes were made. The original plan was for the Sun to replace the Wind in Hawaii -- but those plans were changed. The Sun will be based out of Miami, the Spirit is moving to NOLA, and the only ships in Hawaii will be the 3 NCLA ships.
Here I am, reading cruise forums and it is 6am, Easter Sunday. Addicted to cruising would you say?
Old April 8th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

Well, it's 8 o'clock Easter morning here, and I'm joining you. I just barely rolled out of bed, and the first thing I do is head for the cruise forums. I used to say it wasn't morning until I read the paper -- now it's not morning until I read my favorite boards on the internet.

At least you have more of an excuse than I do -- for you, as a TA, it could be considered "work related". I'm just a lowly cruiser , trying to make sure there's nothing important I need to learn before that next cruise!
Old April 8th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Well, it's 8 o'clock Easter morning here, and I'm joining you. I just barely rolled out of bed, and the first thing I do is head for the cruise forums. I used to say it wasn't morning until I read the paper -- now it's not morning until I read my favorite boards on the internet.

At least you have more of an excuse than I do -- for you, as a TA, it could be considered "work related". I'm just a lowly cruiser , trying to make sure there's nothing important I need to learn before that next cruise!
that is exactly my excuse actually you are right, but I could take a break once in awhile. When the forums are as important to me as entering personal data for my clients I have a double problem. i guess now that I know I have a problem it is time to joint CA (cruise addicts) NMnita
Old April 8th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Captain

I forgot to answer somebody's question. The Spirit returns to N.O. in November to do the same route the Sun is doing now.

So, guys, have any of ya'll cruised the Spirit? If so, how'd you like her?

Did the Easter bunny leave anyone cruise tickets in your basket
Old April 8th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Blossom
I forgot to answer somebody's question. The Spirit returns to N.O. in November to do the same route the Sun is doing now.

So, guys, have any of ya'll cruised the Spirit? If so, how'd you like her?

Did the Easter bunny leave anyone cruise tickets in your basket
Well the Easter bunny said I could take a cruise if I wanted to pay for it. He would provide the booze.
Old September 24th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Beginner

I've been TRYING to find out if NCL is coming back also, I have a friend who is in the management group at the Port of Houston but so far, they don't know anything firm yet. The new cruise port facility that is currently under construction is really nice, I can't believe the POH can't get a firm committment from NCL to start service from BRAND NEW cruise port next year.........best part, it's about 20 minutes from MY HOUSE!!

You could all come crash with me, pre-cruise ......well that might be a little tight in my small patio-home, but.....If I hear anything new I'll post it!

GeoBroad
Old September 24th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by geobroad
I've been TRYING to find out if NCL is coming back also, I have a friend who is in the management group at the Port of Houston but so far, they don't know anything firm yet. The new cruise port facility that is currently under construction is really nice, I can't believe the POH can't get a firm committment from NCL to start service from BRAND NEW cruise port next year.........best part, it's about 20 minutes from MY HOUSE!!

You could all come crash with me, pre-cruise ......well that might be a little tight in my small patio-home, but.....If I hear anything new I'll post it!

GeoBroad
Boy would it be wonderful if they return to Houston, but at this time, I don't think anyone knows the plans. I am betting a lot of what happens in the next few years likes with NCLAs success or failure.

Nita
Old September 24th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Beginner

Nita, how can I figure out which of the NCL ships are the NCLA ones? Sounds like if I do an NCL cruise out of Houston or somewhere else I need to try to avoid those and I don't know how to go about that??

GeoBroad
Old September 24th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by geobroad
Nita, how can I figure out which of the NCL ships are the NCLA ones? Sounds like if I do an NCL cruise out of Houston or somewhere else I need to try to avoid those and I don't know how to go about that??

GeoBroad
You really don't have to worry, they are only in Hawaii and if NCLA does fold, if they bring one of the ships back you will have no problems. The problem is with the overall service, etc and not the ships. Right now they have 3 ships: pride of America, Pride of Hawaii and Pride of Ahola. The Pride of Hawaii is nearly new, it is leaving the fleet and being re-maned the Jade. If NCLA does go under, which some on another post think is in the rather near future (a coupld of years at most) one of the two remaining ships may go back to Star cruise lines. Nost likely that would be the older of the two with the newer one staying in the NCL fleet. all of this is speculation at this time. Some posters think they have iside info and really feel NCLAs days are numbered, maybe they do know more than the rest of us: some of us are just thinking of what may happen.

Nita
Old September 25th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Beginner

Nita, thanks so much.......you obviously have done your homework on this issue and are well informed! I do appreciate the info, now if only they would return to Houston!!

Thanks again........GeoBroad