Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 1st, 2007, 05:08 PM
Passenger

Default Haleakala Bicycling at sunrise

Can anyone tell me if this is worth leaving at 3:45 am for? I can think of something I would much rather be doing at 3:45am!!!!
It doesnt look like they have a later excursion of this bike ride........ 8) .....

Royal Caribbean-eastern Caribbean
Royal Caribbean-western Caribbean
Holland America-Alaska
NCL-Aug 6, 2007 Hawaii
Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2007, 12:34 PM
Familiar Face

try some web reasearch I know that some companies have mid morning trips. When r u going?
Old April 2nd, 2007, 03:55 PM
Passenger

Hi Jimbo.............
I see you leave in 49 days, how exciting is that?!? Seems like a great time to go. I'm originally from Springfield, and went to BU.

I did do some searching on the net and have learned quite a bit since my post. I'm beginning to learn that not everything that is a "must do" is really a "must do". This bike ride leaves at around 3:00 in the morning. You get to the top of the volcanoe and it is still dark and cold. The view of the sun coming up over the clouds is one of the best, but then the ride down isn't all it's built up to be. From what I read you really just ride the brakes down the mountain. It is a single file ride with a van behind and a guide in front. All the stops are the same spots the cars make down. From other visitor's reviews it is a bit dangerous with cars also making the same ride.

I'm going to continue sleeping at 3:00 am., miss the spectacular sunrise and rent a car, and drive down it.

Thanks Jimbo, have a great trip!

Holland America-Alaska
NCL-Aug 6, 2007 Hawaii
Old April 7th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Topspin: I think you have made a smart decision. My wife and I did the Haleakala Volcano Bike Ride in Sept. 2005. It was a shore excursion through the cruiseline (RCI). It wasn't a sunrise tour, but it did last over 7 hours. A van picked us up at the tender pier, picked up the bike trailer and up to the summit. We suited up in 38 degrees and floating rain; and began the 38 mile downhill excursion, ending up in 85 degrees of sun.

Here's the bad part: we had a guide who didn't understand the laws of physics. She put the lightest riders in the front, with the heaviest at the rear. And yes, I was one near the rear of the pack, constantly using my brakes. BTW they use heavy beach cruiser style one-speed bikes with drum brakes that are NOT adjusted properly. My wife on the other hand was 2nd in line, and rarely had to brake.

I ended up with really sore (but stronger) hands, a few blisters and several close calls with other bikes whose brakes worked better than mine. Do yourself a favor and don't bike down, drive down.

Have fun, Steve
Old April 8th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Passenger

Thank you Steve, your advise is well taken. My husband and I want to splurge on one Hlicopter ride. Would you happen to have any insight into which Helicopter We should take? The Four I'm looking at are....

1. Helicopter of Fire......The Big Island Volcano Nat. Park
2. Hana-Haleakala - Maui (instead of taking the road to Hana)
3. Western Maui-Molokai
4. Mokihana - Kauai

Thanks, Nancy

Holland America-Alaska
NCL-Aug 6, 2007 Hawaii
Old April 9th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378

Which ship are you taking? We took Pride of America in Oct of '05. As a word of caution check the safety records of the companies for the helicopter tours and keep in mind the weight restrictions (over 250 you pay extra---I was much heavier then and would have had to pay double--But now I am down 100LBS since I have gastric bypass on Feb 9th of this year--sorry I am kinda proud and happy to be getting back down to my fighting weight so I had to brag)!
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old April 13th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Thank you Steve, your advise is well taken. My husband and I want to splurge on one Hlicopter ride. Would you happen to have any insight into which Helicopter We should take? The Four I'm looking at are....

1. Helicopter of Fire......The Big Island Volcano Nat. Park
2. Hana-Haleakala - Maui (instead of taking the road to Hana)
3. Western Maui-Molokai
4. Mokihana - Kauai

Thanks, Nancy
Nancy: when are you leaving? I'm out of town right now and will have to return home to check my records for the tour I took from the Big Island. It was well worth it and operated safely from what I observed. I'll reply back next week. Steve
Old April 14th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Passenger

Hi Steve,

I'd really appreciate knowing which one you took.....we will be in Hawaii the first two weeks of August..............Thanks!

Holland America-Alaska
NCL-Aug 6, 2007 Hawaii