Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Taking prescription meds on board

Yes! it's true I have yet another question I as well as my daughters have diabetes that require the use of insulin injections as well as pills. My question is are there any restrictions on how you bring your medication and or supplies on the ship (IE. needles,prescription bottles,ETC) We have a lot of supplies that we have to take with us. I have a letter from my daughters doctor stating what the have and what they need. I do not have one for myself. I don't take injections but I have a lot of pills I have to take everyday they are all in prescription bottles and my name is on them is that OK or do I have to do something else with them? Sorry about all the questions but as we get closer to leaving (4/7/07) I keep thinking of even more questions to ask. The worst thing my wife showed me on the computer was the cruise mates message boards.I can't wait to get back so I can write about what I thought of my first cruise experience. On a more serious note you guys have all been awesome with answering all of my questions (and there have been a lot) It was very appreciated.Hopefully I will be able to answer some other first time cruisers questions in the future.
Thanks again,
HAPPY SAILING...
joecat890
Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:48 PM
Admiral

Just make sure everything is properly labeled.

You may get a vist from the medical staff....only to make sure they are prepared to assist if necessary.
Extremely pleasant people.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 09:30 PM
Admiral

Congratulations on your first cruise!!! You're going to come back HOOKED and ready to book another!! Beware!!

We, too, have many prescriptions and we put them in 2 of those large plastic day holders, enought for 14 days. You can get them at Target or Wal Mart. That way, when we got to bed, we will know if we took all our meds for the day. Then we bring a pharmacy printout of each prescription. This has the descriptions and all the info anyone would need and it saves room instead of bringing all the bottles. I have always brought my accucheck and supplies in my carryon for both airplanes and ships with no problems.

ENJOY your cruise!!

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old April 3rd, 2007, 10:02 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Taking prescription meds on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecat890
Yes! it's true I have yet another question I as well as my daughters have diabetes that require the use of insulin injections as well as pills. My question is are there any restrictions on how you bring your medication and or supplies on the ship (IE. needles,prescription bottles,ETC) We have a lot of supplies that we have to take with us. I have a letter from my daughters doctor stating what the have and what they need. I do not have one for myself. I don't take injections but I have a lot of pills I have to take everyday they are all in prescription bottles and my name is on them is that OK or do I have to do something else with them? Sorry about all the questions but as we get closer to leaving (4/7/07) I keep thinking of even more questions to ask. The worst thing my wife showed me on the computer was the cruise mates message boards.I can't wait to get back so I can write about what I thought of my first cruise experience. On a more serious note you guys have all been awesome with answering all of my questions (and there have been a lot) It was very appreciated.Hopefully I will be able to answer some other first time cruisers questions in the future.
Thanks again,
HAPPY SAILING...
joecat890
Joe, we hope you get as hooked as the rest of us. I don't think you will have any problems but you may want to check with special services on the ship. I do not know who this may be, just call reservations or check with your TA, someone can get you a name. the specail services person can advise you. Have a great cruise. NMnita
Old April 4th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to LadyStahr

I would think that you should contact the Special Needs Department (see www.ncl.com - Contact Us) and explain that your daughters will be bringing insulin needles and insulin on board and ask if there are any requirements. I would also think that the Medical department on your ship would provide you with a "Sharps" biohazard container to dispose of the needles in.

Lisa
Old April 4th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you for your replies.I will be getting in touch with special services to make sure there are no restrictions.I am sure we will have an awesome time and can't wait to leave.
joecat890
Old April 4th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Beginner

Default Prescription meds on board

Hello:
I too am a Type II diabetic. I take several oral drugs, and one injectable drug. This must be refrigerated. Check with the cruise line to make sure that you cabin has a small fridge. If not, ask for a cabin change, OR as soon as you board, find the Medical Department (usually on the lowest accessible deck. Introduce yourself (about your condition, and ask if you can store your drugs that require cold in their fridge. I did this on SS Norway (NCL) in 2001. On our Summit cruise to Alaska, we had a fridge in our stateroom.

Do NOT put ypur meds in your checked baggage. Carry only in your carry-on bag. If poosible, carry photocopies of you Rx's.

I have never been questioned about my Rx's. 32 times thru Israeli Security, and about 15 other countries.

Have a great cruise!!

PapaBear
Old April 5th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

I spoke to my TA today and he said that NCL requires you notify them in writing about what you will be bringing on the ship as far as medication or medical supplies goes but since it is so close to leaving (Leaving Saturday) they only need copies of the prescriptions.Which I can't get because I don't have the prescriptions as they have already been filled.My pharmacist said that if there was a problem NCL can call him and he will verify the prescriptions.Can NCL deny boarding with medication or supplies if you don't have the prescriptions if the packages have a pharmacy label with the passengers name on them? There is no way we can go without these meds and supplies.Has anyone else had this problem with bringing medication or supplies on board
Thanks,
joecat890