Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 11th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Beginner

Default Horrible service on NCL Dawn

Where should I begin...two days before out trip on the NLC M/S Dawn(3/22/2007-4/1/2007) we received notification that the itinerary was changed due to engine trouble. They changed our stop at a private island in the Bahamas to stop at Samana/Dominican Republic instead. If we would like a refund for the cruise we may contact them. We proceed with the cruise even though this was a disappointment Next when we arrived on St Maarten we were advised that our shore excursion was canceled. We we got off the ship to go shopping instead we saw the same excursion that was being provided for another cruise line. We spoke with the representative from the catamaran who said that the excursions were running that NCL canceled the excursion with them. Next when we went arrived in St Thomas due to immigration and customs in order to get off the ship all passengers needed to go through customs. We followed procedure and when we got off the ship our shore excursion had left with out us. When we spoke with cruise ship personnel she advised that we were supposed to get off the ship with the first group. No announcements were made letting us know and we(all 8 of us in 4 rooms) did not receive the notice that was sent out advising of this procedure. It was like pulling teeth to get our money back for this excursion due to NCLs mistake. Next a day or two later while waiting for service in one of the ships "free" restaurants we were told to wait for service because the waitress decided to serve customers who arrived in the restaurant at least 15-20 minutes after us. These customers came in with empty beer buckets to be filled(which is an additional charge and autogratuity to the waitress. Lastly once we got off the ship to go home our bank account was charged $167 for on board purchases and the cruise line held an additional $164 after they received payment and charged us $192 for unavailable funds because we did not keep double the charge amount in our account for 5 days after the charge processed. when I contacted consumer affairs at Norwegian cruise line they do not refund the fees for the hold even though they double charged my account.
Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Horrible service on NCL Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralstrr
Where should I begin...two days before out trip on the NLC M/S Dawn(3/22/2007-4/1/2007) we received notification that the itinerary was changed due to engine trouble. They changed our stop at a private island in the Bahamas to stop at Samana/Dominican Republic instead. If we would like a refund for the cruise we may contact them. We proceed with the cruise even though this was a disappointment Next when we arrived on St Maarten we were advised that our shore excursion was canceled. We we got off the ship to go shopping instead we saw the same excursion that was being provided for another cruise line. We spoke with the representative from the catamaran who said that the excursions were running that NCL canceled the excursion with them. Next when we went arrived in St Thomas due to immigration and customs in order to get off the ship all passengers needed to go through customs. We followed procedure and when we got off the ship our shore excursion had left with out us. When we spoke with cruise ship personnel she advised that we were supposed to get off the ship with the first group. No announcements were made letting us know and we(all 8 of us in 4 rooms) did not receive the notice that was sent out advising of this procedure. It was like pulling teeth to get our money back for this excursion due to NCLs mistake. Next a day or two later while waiting for service in one of the ships "free" restaurants we were told to wait for service because the waitress decided to serve customers who arrived in the restaurant at least 15-20 minutes after us. These customers came in with empty beer buckets to be filled(which is an additional charge and autogratuity to the waitress. Lastly once we got off the ship to go home our bank account was charged $167 for on board purchases and the cruise line held an additional $164 after they received payment and charged us $192 for unavailable funds because we did not keep double the charge amount in our account for 5 days after the charge processed. when I contacted consumer affairs at Norwegian cruise line they do not refund the fees for the hold even though they double charged my account.
Rather than break everything you said down: I will simply say, generalizing that is: I don't think so. I can see holes in your story from the first sentace on. BTW, the waitress doesn't get extra tips for filling beer buckets, that can only be done by the cocktail staff; imigration in St THomas (we havae done this 6 times, 3 different lines including NCL) always it is done starting about 7am. You must have had a very early tour. I won't say anything more; I am sorry your cruise was a disappointment. NMnita
Old April 12th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Passenger

coralstrr - if you have read these boards at all, you would know that anyone who has anything bad to say about NCL will be called a liar by nmita (in so many words). You are not allowed to share your negative review with everyone. Since my negative review back in August I've gotten a laugh over the past few months watching her rip apart anyone who has left a bad review. It's comical.
Old April 12th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

First off Coral... welcome to CruiseMates.

Unfortunately when we run into glitches during our cruise, the ill feeling seems to carry over, and we become more critical of the "small stuff". Just human nature I suppose.

I've no idea why your St Mart excursion was cancelled, but there's no reason at all that I can think of that the cruise line would want to cancel it, if it could have been a go. They make BIG $ off of the excursions they sell, and certainly wouldn't want to cancel one, and give everyone their money back.

As to the St Thomas immigration process and tour...when your shore excursion tickets were delivered there should have been instructions on where and what time you were required to meet your tour.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 18th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to JCAS5599

I HAVE NEVER BEEN ON THE DAWN, BUT I AM GOING ON THE MAY 12TH. I HAD A HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE ON MY FIRST CRUISE WITH CELEBRITY WHEN MY HONEY CAME DOWN WITH THE NORWALK VIRUS. NO ONE WANTED TO HELP. I CAN UNDERSTAND HAVING A BAD CRUISE, BUT GIVE IT ANOTHER TRY! I TRIED ROYAL AND LOVED IT. I FORGOT WHO OWNS CELEBRITY - IT COULD BE ROYAL OR NORWEGIAN. ANYWAY, I HAVEN'T BEEN ON NORWEGIAN SO I'M TRYING THAT. THEN I WILL TRY PRINCESS NEXT...
IT COULD BE THE SHIP, COULD BE THE CREW, COULD BE WEIRD LUCK.

SPEAKING OF YOUR EXCURSION, ON CELEBRITY- MY FIRST EXCURSION WAS SUPPOSE TO BE SWIMMING W/STINGRAYS & SNOREKLING. MY HONEY, MARK, LITERALLY ASKED EVERY SINGLE PERSON WHO WAS WEARING A CELEBRITY OUTFIT IF WE WERE IN THE RIGHT LINE. I FINALLY GOT UPSET AND YELLED AT HIM TO CHILL OUT. HE EVEN ASKED THE BUS DRIVER. WE GOT TO THE EXCURSION, AND WOULDN'T YOU KNOW IT? WE WERE ON THE WRONG EXCURSION! IT WAS FUNNY! WHEN WE GOT BACK TO THE SHIP, I TALKED TO THEM AND TOLD THEM THE PROBLEM AND THEY GAVE US HALF THE MONEY BACK. FROM MY UNDERSTANDING, THE EXCURSION WE DID WAS BETTER THAN THE ONE WE WERE SUPPOSE TO BE ON! IT'S WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT.

DON'T GIVE UP HOPE!!!!! MARK HAD TO BE HOSPITALIZED WHEN WE FINALLY GOT HIM HOME!!!! HE IS STILL WILLING TO GO ON A CRUISE!!!
CHIN UP! TRY ANOTHER CRUISE LINE...

GOOD LUCK!
Old April 18th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the people who are sympathetic to my opinion. I don't hate cruising. I've been on one other cruise with Royal that was excellent. I guess my biggest complaint is that multi million dollar companies that treat customers like poop. I have not yet gotten any type of response from Norwegian. I even had a good time despite some of the down falls while on board. I was just floored when we got home and discovered a double hold from Norwegian caused one of our bank accounts to be negative $450 and no reason for the hold because they were paid.

oh and nita or what ever if you love NCl so much you can have it because there is no reason for someone to have to spend over $3000 on a vacation and get the treatment that we received.
Old April 19th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378

Cruising is like pizza and sex even when it is bad it is still better than work. Although they all can happen at the same time I guess........ ok my try to lighten the mood.
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America