CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Norwegian Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Norwegian Dawn (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/332193-norwegian-dawn.html)

tres33 April 23rd, 2007 05:12 PM

Norwegian Dawn
 
:?:

Hi all ~

I'll be taking my 1st cruise w/Norwegian on the Dawn (have cruised 6 times w/ Royal Caribbean)....I have to say, I've read some really terrible reviews about Norwegian. Is it as bad as all that?

And what about the Dawn, has anyone had any recent experience with that particular ship?

Thanks so much.

immargaret April 23rd, 2007 09:48 PM

DAWN
 
We were on the DAWN for the 2/18 cruise and everything was perfect from the food to the crew.

There were a few negative reviews on the Easter cruise. Which isn't a normal cruise, with many more kids and staff that are probably missing their families as well.

Delft April 23rd, 2007 10:29 PM

We were on DAWN for the new years even cruise ten days. I will say that I for sure liked the ship, and we like this line over others. We have also been on NCL Spirit and we had more negatives, (not at all related to the ship, but some goings on with college kids and alcohol) but that was not something to ruin my trip. We were compensated for issues and that was fair. We had no issues on DAWN. What I will say is if you want to have something bad to find, you always will, and if you dont, you will always find good. We all really enjoyed dawn alot, and I sure would take her again. We are booked on GEM next. Was everything perfect on DAWN, no, nothing is perfect where ever you go, but there was a heck of alot near perfect and we enjoyed our selves a great deal. I always get a chuckle when I read things like "there was nothing good to eat". Now I am a picky eater, and even I found something good to eat. Did I like everything.no I didn't, I am not easy but they sure tried to give me what I could eat and what I liked. I think you will enjoy this ship a great deal. Hang out on Deck seven when the sun sits, you can really relax and get great pics at the same time. Nice to get away from the noise of the pool.

nmnita April 23rd, 2007 11:41 PM

Don't pay too much attention to the negatives. Most of the newer NCL ships are in the same catagory with RCI but have the added advantage of freestyle dining and cruising. You will find the entertainment similar, the cabins very close in size and the service good. I won't say better because that depends on any given week and the given room steward or other service crew you come in contact with. The worst service we have had was on RCI, but I certainly do not think all RCI ships offer poor service. We were just unlucky I think. Go,enjoy and expect your cruise to be a new and different experience but just as good as the past ones. NMNita :-? i

tres33 April 24th, 2007 10:23 AM

:D

Good morning all ~

Thanks so much for your responses, I feel much better about it now.

I saw those negative reviews and started to panic. I've always had such wonderful experiences with RCL, that when I saw the negative posts on the Dawn I started to wonder if I had made a mistake trying NCL. I feel more comfortable with my choice after hearing from each of you.

And Delfthuis...thank you for the tip on Deck 7...sounds perfect! Any more good tips, let me know. I'd appreciate it.

I'm really looking forward to this cruise...

Enjoy your day!! And thanks again.

erikhag April 24th, 2007 10:31 AM

We have cruised the Dawn and loved it, but it was a year ago.

I just wanted to recommend you to go to Salsa, their mexican restaurant. We went there once and really loved the food. Unfortunately we went there one of the last nights on the cruise, otherwise we would have eaten there more!

tres33 April 24th, 2007 11:07 AM

Hi Erik ~

Thanks for the tip about Salsa...good to know since I don't know a thing about this ship. Will definitely take your advice and try it early in the cruise!

Thanks again.
Tres

Cassandra April 24th, 2007 11:27 AM

Think of the negative comments this way (I ignore negative people personally).

Someone likes fish - someone else doesn't. Your co-worker LOVES her job, you hate the same job. You would never be caught DEAD walking into that store - someone else LOVES that store. You shrug your shoulders if someone merges in your lane on the highway - the next person would have road rage if that happened.

So just ignore all the negative. Some people on this planet are just plain miserable & wake up everyday like that. People who go on these cruises also can be the ones that walk around with their noses in the air thinking they are better than the next person - these are the ones to squawk first when the slightest thing goes out of sync with their life.

The things those people complain about are just so tiny compared to the big picture of life.

SIMark April 24th, 2007 01:01 PM

Just out of curiousity when are you going on the Dawn? My wife and I sail in a little under 3 weeks!

Mark

tres33 April 24th, 2007 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassandra
Think of the negative comments this way (I ignore negative people personally).

Someone likes fish - someone else doesn't. Your co-worker LOVES her job, you hate the same job. You would never be caught DEAD walking into that store - someone else LOVES that store. You shrug your shoulders if someone merges in your lane on the highway - the next person would have road rage if that happened.

So just ignore all the negative. Some people on this planet are just plain miserable & wake up everyday like that. People who go on these cruises also can be the ones that walk around with their noses in the air thinking they are better than the next person - these are the ones to squawk first when the slightest thing goes out of sync with their life.

The things those people complain about are just so tiny compared to the big picture of life.



Very good point, I hadn't thought of it from that perspective before. Thaks for the insight!
T.

tres33 April 24th, 2007 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIMark
Just out of curiousity when are you going on the Dawn? My wife and I sail in a little under 3 weeks!

Mark


We won't be going until wk of Aug 4th.
I hope you and your wife have a WONDERFUL time!!! Would love to hear your thoughts once you return.

Enjoy!!

Delft April 24th, 2007 05:53 PM

Yes SALSA is really good, but for this one make reservations early as it is popular as the atmosphere is great and the foad is also nice. DS especially liked it. There is no charge for this one. Because of some medical issues, I have to eat my dinner at the same time every day, and the Maitre D was so nice and would book us our dinning times three days at a time. We dont pay for specialty places, there was no need, the dinning was more than nice at the non pay places. We had eaten at salsa twice, but the last night was booked. That was fine, DS did get it twice, but then we got a surprise call as there was a cencelation if we would like to dine the last night. One nice thing about NCL, they are small enough that they get to know people and it is pleasent. Needless to say the men in my group were thrilled. The chicken ceaser salad as an entre is VERY good. ( to me ) We really like on NCL ships the atrium is higher up, and they all have the "deck 7". Lounging chairs the full length of the deck, watch the sun come up, have a cup of tea, unwind after a day at the beach, even if you dont have a balcony cabin, on these ships you dont need one. We also enjoyed a great deal listing to music in the atrium, you can bring you own tea or cup of coffee or buy a specialty one, or simply have nothing and enjoy the music. My only regert was they were out of NCL model ships as they were all sold over X mas and son collects them! Will try and find one on ebay LOL. I seem to find everything else on ebay!

tres33 April 25th, 2007 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delfthuis
Yes SALSA is really good, but for this one make reservations early as it is popular as the atmosphere is great and the foad is also nice. DS especially liked it. There is no charge for this one. Because of some medical issues, I have to eat my dinner at the same time every day, and the Maitre D was so nice and would book us our dinning times three days at a time. We dont pay for specialty places, there was no need, the dinning was more than nice at the non pay places. We had eaten at salsa twice, but the last night was booked. That was fine, DS did get it twice, but then we got a surprise call as there was a cencelation if we would like to dine the last night. One nice thing about NCL, they are small enough that they get to know people and it is pleasent. Needless to say the men in my group were thrilled. The chicken ceaser salad as an entre is VERY good. ( to me ) We really like on NCL ships the atrium is higher up, and they all have the "deck 7". Lounging chairs the full length of the deck, watch the sun come up, have a cup of tea, unwind after a day at the beach, even if you dont have a balcony cabin, on these ships you dont need one. We also enjoyed a great deal listing to music in the atrium, you can bring you own tea or cup of coffee or buy a specialty one, or simply have nothing and enjoy the music. My only regert was they were out of NCL model ships as they were all sold over X mas and son collects them! Will try and find one on ebay LOL. I seem to find everything else on ebay!

AHHHHHHHH....you're whole description of the restaurant and relaxing on deck sounds sooooooo great! I am so looking forward to this trip now. It's a 1st for my 2 nieces and sis-in-law so I really want them to enjoy it and as you know I was having some reservations after reading some of the negative posts. BUT I feel much better about it now after talking to all of you.
Thanks!!

PS...if you'd like I could pick up one of those ship models for you and mail it to you...if they have them.

Delfthuis...one more question, what do you mean when you say you "don't pay for specialty places"?...aren't all the restaurants part of the plan? I didn't realize some you pay, some you don't. Can you tell me which are which on the Dawn? Just so I know.

Thanks!

nmnita April 25th, 2007 12:02 PM

tres,

NCL is line most lines but offer more choices for dining. they have the specialty sur charge restaurants (again all lines offer at least one specialty dining room) NCL also offers several non charge restaurants. I haven't been on the Dawn so I am sure I will get some corrections but will do my best to explain: there are 2 main dining rooms with no additional charge as well as the buffet, Blue Lagoon and normally the Italian dining room. I am not sure about Salsas but I don't think there is an extra charge there either. The sur charge dining rooms will be: Le Bistro (French) Cagney's (Steak) and an oriental dining room. There may be one other. It is up to eveyone's choice whether to try a specialty dining room. I recommend you do try one, at least, but you certainly have plenty of choices if you prefer to just eat in the eateries that are part of your cruise price. NMnita :-?

SIMark April 25th, 2007 12:18 PM

The DAWN has a total of 13 restautants, of which I beleive that 10 have a surcharge of 15- 20 dollars for the meal. I think the two main restaurants and the pool are free, the "specialty" are the charges.

Mark

canuckity April 25th, 2007 12:30 PM

We were on the DAWN the last week of March. As previously stated you cannot please all of the people all of the time, however, our experience was totally positive. The ship is beautiful, the food excellent and the entertainment top notch. Aqua and the Venetian are the 2 main dining rooms. Remember that the Venetian Dining room is also open for breakfast and lunch. We talked to people (late in the cruise) that didn't realize this and they were only eating at the buffets. Surcharge restaurants are Cagney's (steak); Le Bistro (french) and Teppanyaki (Japanese-sushi) - all require reservations and may offer 2 for 1 specials for booking between 5pm and 6 pm. Salsa (tex-mex) has no surcharge but requires a reservation. Impressions is a more intimate dining room serving the standard menu but requires a reservation. Part of the buffet restaurant is turned into La Trattorria (italian) at dinner time and requires a reservation. The Blue Lagoon - mid-ship on deck 7 is open 24/7 and serves lighter fair such as a garden salad, burgers, hot dogs, chicken wings, noodle bowls and fish and chips. In addition to this there is a pool bar and grill and if it isn't too windy they do a lunch time BBQ beside the pool.

Our experience was terrific. Absolutely no complaints. Hope yours is too!

Delft April 25th, 2007 02:13 PM

That would be wonderful about the model. PM me and I will send you my mailing info and you can give me your so I can send you some cash.

Also, There is not only three places to eat for free. ( venetian, aqua, impressions are the main dinning rooms) Aqua and impressions are the smnaller more intimate ones. There are minimum three main dining roomns, there is salsa, the italian place, there is the blue lagoon, the buffet, and the standard BBQ around the pools, you wont go hungry and we never went to the surcharge places to eat. If I want a good steak, I will get them here where I live, pluss the ones we had in the dinning room was just fine.

I think you will have a fine time. Again I say as always, no matter where you go or what you do, it can never be 100% perfect, what I like you may not like, but if you are a positive person, you will have a great time and we liked DAWN probably the best out of all the ships we have been on. I really liked her lay out and the ease of finding things on this ship.

tres33 April 25th, 2007 03:29 PM

Hi all ~

Thanks again for all your input and especially for explaining about the restaurants/surchg's etc...that's new to me. Appreciate all the info.

I have one more question...tho this time about Nassau (one of our ports)...has anyone ever gone to Atlantis from there? If so how? And does the Atlantis even allow cruisers entry?

Thanks again everyone. Really appreciate all the help you've given me.

T.

SIMark April 25th, 2007 03:37 PM

If you want, I beleive that NCL has a shore excursion for $29 pp (I think)that takes you to the Atlantis for the day. That supposdly gives you access to their public facilites.

Mark

tres33 April 25th, 2007 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIMark
If you want, I beleive that NCL has a shore excursion for $29 pp (I think)that takes you to the Atlantis for the day. That supposdly gives you access to their public facilites.

Mark

Wonderful! Thanks Mark!

Delft April 25th, 2007 06:02 PM

I may have faulty memory, but when we were in Nasseau with NCL Spirit, the excursion with NCL was pretty pricey, but I may be wrong, I dont remember now. We took a tour ourselves, for 20$ a person whioch included first an island tour and then a trip to Atlantis. We were with her a good four hours.

SIMark April 25th, 2007 06:06 PM

Just checked the NCL website, and this is what they show:

"Discover Atlantis Immerse yourself in the legend of Atlantis during this exciting excursion. Your navigator guides you through an exploration of Atlantis to see the most mystifying and spectacular resort to have risen from the sea. Discover the world's largest marine habitat, and explore the Dig, which will reveal how Atlantean culture flourished over 11,000 years ago.
$49 pp
2 1/2 hour = length"

I think I saw on one of these boards that you can then hang out at Atlantis until afterwards, but if you do you may have to arrange your own transportation back to the ship
Mark

tres33 April 26th, 2007 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIMark
Just checked the NCL website, and this is what they show:

"Discover Atlantis Immerse yourself in the legend of Atlantis during this exciting excursion. Your navigator guides you through an exploration of Atlantis to see the most mystifying and spectacular resort to have risen from the sea. Discover the world's largest marine habitat, and explore the Dig, which will reveal how Atlantean culture flourished over 11,000 years ago.
$49 pp
2 1/2 hour = length"

I think I saw on one of these boards that you can then hang out at Atlantis until afterwards, but if you do you may have to arrange your own transportation back to the ship
Mark


This actually sounds perfect Mark...especially if you can stay and hang out a while, thanks for the info I hadn't seen that one listed for some reason.

Thanks!

MrLee May 4th, 2007 07:30 AM

I was there in March. We just took a cab to Atlantis ($8 fir the 2 of us) but we just wanted to go to the casino.

TommyS May 6th, 2007 11:25 PM

We are also going on NCL Dawn on Jan. 6, 2008 and are sure glad to hear the good things about the ship. All our previous sailings have been with Carnival and had a good time. Hope this one is also.
Tommy

JCAS5599 May 7th, 2007 06:01 PM

nORWEGIAN dAWN
 
I CAN TELL YOU IN TWO WEEKS - I AM SCHEDULED TO GO ON THE MAY 12TH OUT OF NYC.....

moynahan123 May 7th, 2007 09:14 PM

ncl dawn
 
Food and Service was the worst ever on a cruise. One of the key features of a cruise SHOULD be food. From breakfast to dinner to room service it should be great Not on the Dawn..no how, no way! Its sad.

The Garden Cafe lunch buffet seemed like leftovers. The Aqua restaurant for dinner took an hour to get our entree and the food was awful. We ordered at 5:30 and received entrees at 6:15 Only the caeser salad was good. I hear the Impressions restaurant had faster service but the same awful food!

-- Breakfast in the Venetian Sunday morning was shockingly gross. Grilled ham was smaller than on a McMufffin, overcooked and cold. The scrambled eggs were dry and tasteless. The french toast was two tiny, tiny pieces. One plus - the orange juice and coffee were good the eggs are not cooked either.

-- The stewards were very nice and always had a nice greeting. The suited staff were also very nice.

-- Restaurant staff all over the ship seemed MISERABLE, very miserable. From the dinner reservation staff at embarkation to the waiters to the hostesses. Service at the Blue Lagoon stopped by at 5pm and 3am). People sat for about 10 minutes and then just walked away.

Many people complained at the Venetion during breakfast. Don't even try the tomato soup as its just warm tomato sauce with a crouton. Three of us left it on the table.

Let me be clear, these waiters were running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Working very hard but doing very little. They need management.

understaffed.

small pool and they have a kids pool but the kids don't use it . the children of all ages use the pool even with diapers on. children should not be in a hot tub all day. :(

Delft May 8th, 2007 11:30 AM

this was opposite to what we had on this cruise. You can also specifically ask how many pieces of French toast you want, which is what I always did. I rather this than see the enourmous amount of wasted food with loaded up plates that people do not finish. I NEVER once saw kids with diapers in the pool, they were quite strict when we were on board. If I ever saw kids with diapers in the pool, the camera would be taken out and brought to the front desk, and if it was not dealt with RIGHT AWAY, some one is getting a letter of complaint with cpoies of pics when I get back as that is a hygeine issue. But in fairness, eyes cannot always catch the many people who insist to break clearly stated rules, so if you or any ne see that, you must speak up . I dont mind kids in the pool at all, its a family cruise ship, and families include kids, I dont mind kids about at all, as a matter a fact I think I enjoy them, and I dont meet many who behave badly, and the few I have seen, I just raise my eye brow and give a mummy look and they quickly seem to get the message. So for us, we had a good time and actually all of us rated this cruise the best we have done.

Cassandra May 8th, 2007 07:36 PM

My sister & her BF are going on her this weekend. I feel bad for the folks that are on there now. They have to plow through that sub-tropical storm sitting off North Carolina. Some rough seas there, Weather Channel said the seas were about 12 feet.

cpnlp May 8th, 2007 08:57 PM

:D

Beautiful, wonderful, fun, exciting, relaxing and unbelievably affordable. These are all adjectives I came home using over and over again to everyone I talked to about my trip on the Dawn a few months ago. You won't be sorry! Go with an open mind and don't listen to all the negatives. Just have a wonderful time!!! Enjoy.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1