Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Does it really have to be this difficult?

I'm not usually one to complain much, but I am completely frustrated and I have to ask; Is it always this difficult to get your cruise docs from NCL? We're sailing on the 19th on the Spirit and have been trying to get our documents for about a week now. We finally got the docs for one cabin, but still havent received them for the other cabin. Having never cruised with NCL before, I've never experienced this level of frustration. Even our TA is frustrated. Several phone calls, several different answers, lots of excuses, and still no docs. Half the time, the person you talk to cant even find our bookings. Amazing! They are astonishingly efficient when if comes to finding your booking to charge the final payment to your credit card, but seem to have great difficulty when serving a customer.

Based on this pre-cruise experience alone, I've already pretty much made up my mind that I wont be cruising with NCL again in the future and I havent even been onboard yet. I surely hope things dont continue like this once onboard.

Tim, trying to stay optimistic.

Western Caribbean - Holland America Westerdam

Alaska Explorer - Holland America Westerdam
Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Passenger

We sailed on NCL last October and had the same experiance. We called a couple of times and they said that they had been mailed or about to be mailed and should arrive in a few days. Well they never came.

You can print them out online. That is what we finally had to do. That was just the first of many bad things that happened on the cruise. One thing is for sure, there comunication is very bad.

Princess Golden - Meaxican Riviera Oct/Nov '07
Norwegian Star - Mexican Riviera Oct '06
Carnival Ecstasy - Catalina/Mexico April '02
Disney Wonder - 3 day Bahamas Nov '99
Old May 8th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Just to let you know, on other lines I've cruised without ever receiving docs. As long as the registration is done online, you actually don't even need the documents to cruise.

Now if you booked air with NCL you will of course need at least the E tickets or booking # for those.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 8th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. On HAL, there have been times when they didnt even look at our "cruise tickets" during embarkation. Personally, I'm not too concerned, but DW seems to think you wont be allowed to board with out them. Not very likely.

I'm very thankful we didnt book flights through NCL, who knows where that would be. NYC is an easy drive for us, so no flights involved.

Tim

Old May 8th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Admiral

Jaggy, don't let this influence your cruise in any way. When we sailed HAL we almost didn't get ours, finally they were emailed to us. The reason is far to complicated to go into detail, but it was a really stupid excuse. As long as you register on line you need nothing more. Actually most lines are depending on E docs more all the time. Remember when we all started flying ticketless and how concerned many were. Now, I don't think I would know what to do with a ticket. As for not getting your docs, this is very unusual for NCL. Normally I we have had ours and our clients have weeks in advance.

Anway tell your wife to relax, get ready to start the packing and look forward to a really great cruise.

NMnita
Old May 9th, 2007, 02:16 AM
Beginner

I just returned from NCL Pride Of America last weekend. I thought that I was going to have the same problems, but it turns out that if you book your cruise through a TA, then NCL will email the docs to them and the TA should email them to you. That's what they told me anyway... and it turned out that I had already printed out everything that i needed. Anyway, have a good time.
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Tim, walk onboard, with a smile, and forget those pesky frustrations ! From all the good things being reported, I bet you have a ball!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 14th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
Tim, walk onboard, with a smile, and forget those pesky frustrations ! From all the good things being reported, I bet you have a ball!
You know, there is no doubt in my mind that I will have a great time onboard. I always do, even in less than perfect situations. But it just agitates me when something that should be simple becomes a royal pain in the bahookie. We have been cruising for years and this is our first go with Norwegian. Given a choice, I wont be back. The thing that bothers me most is that no one can locate our booking when we call. To me, in this day and age, its just ridiculous.

Will I have a good time? Absolutely certain of it. I just dont feel like I should have to deal with the hassles. Its just not right, and I dont like it. And, its never been a problem on any of our previous cruises.

Tim

Old May 17th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378

Tim,
Enjoy the cruise, if you get a chance go up to the Galaxy of the Stars and see the husband/wife team that performs there in the early evening. We loved them. Tell them Eric and Mary from NJ said HI!
Do not let your lack of Docs discourage you.
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:29 PM
Familiar Face

Default Tickets for Crown

For our cruise on Crown (Philly-Bermuda, 6-13 May), our ticket package arrived about 20 days before.

On boarding at Philly Cruise Terminal, we were found in the computer, and our boarding plastic passes wre issued. As we boarded the ship, they immediately pulled the voucher in front of booklet.

Never a problem.

PapaBear
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378

plus remmebr that NCl is going all e-passes now.
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Passenger

Jaggy, get use to it old timer ! its 2007 and the E TICKET is here and that is ALL YOU need to get on board,like it or loathe it ( and as a old timer myself I would rather a tickets arrive weeks before hand ) and as much as you want the wallets and book tickets they are well and truely on their way out not only with ALL shipping but airlines as well. Stikes me you have never sailed NCL before and you are already bagging them when you will find there is NO cruise line that offers value for money better than NCL in my opinion. You reap what you sow on ANY Cruise so go get into the 2007 swing of things and have a ball because Charles Dickens and Mark Twain no longer write out bookings , theres a new boy on the horizion and his name is Gates
Old May 29th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropanchor
Jaggy, get use to it old timer ! its 2007 and the E TICKET is here and that is ALL YOU need to get on board,like it or loathe it ( and as a old timer myself I would rather a tickets arrive weeks before hand ) and as much as you want the wallets and book tickets they are well and truely on their way out not only with ALL shipping but airlines as well. Stikes me you have never sailed NCL before and you are already bagging them when you will find there is NO cruise line that offers value for money better than NCL in my opinion. You reap what you sow on ANY Cruise so go get into the 2007 swing of things and have a ball because Charles Dickens and Mark Twain no longer write out bookings , theres a new boy on the horizion and his name is Gates
Well Dropanchor, to put things in perspective, I am 44 years old. Hardly an oldtimer, by any measure. And, I love and embrace technology, probably much more so than most people. I really dont care how the docs are delivered. Email is fine and I dont have a problem printing them out. What I had a problem with was not being able get the email sent. Like I originally said, what should have been simple, became frustrating. It has nothing to do with technology, oldtimeyness or E-whatever. It comes down to a very simple lack of quality customer service.

As for NCL, after being on the cruise, I can honestly say for certain, I wont be back on NCL anytime soon. Did we have a good time? Yes we did, we had a wonderful time. But, there were many struggles along the way, including having a piece of our luggage end up on the wrong ship and the staff being astonishingly apathetic about it. Something as simple as getting clean glasses and ice in the ice bucket was a daily chore.

And, as far as NCL being a great value, I'm not really seeing that at all. First off, I'm not particularly looking for a value when I cruise as much as I am looking for a total escape from the hassle of everyday life. This cruise was not exactly cheap by any standard, but was lacking in many things. And it came complete with many of the hassles I so very much try to avoid. 85% of the cruise was great. If thats a number you can live with, than so be it. But for me, when I spend $9,000+ for an 8 day cruise, I do expect a little closer to 100% greatness. Gee, maybe I am just a spoiled old fuddy duddy and my expectations are way out of wack.

When I get a chance, I will write up a full review of our cruise.

Your very welcome to have your opinion, as I am welcome to have mine. Seems to me they differ just a bit.

Tim