Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 9th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Beginner

Default Private Island Excursion

I see that one of the excursions on the Dawn is a day at Norwegian's private island. What is there to do on the island? Do they rent Waverunners (Jet skis)? How big is the island, do all the passengers converge on this one spot for the day. I would imagine that it gets crowded.
Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Beginner

Default My Experience

We have visited several "private islands" in the past with various cruise lines. It has been our experience that the only thing they have on them to do is lie on the beach or swim. IF you bring your own snorkel equipment with you, you can do that. Otherwise, it's just "lie in the sun" time.
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Admiral

most passengers will want to visit the private island for at least a little while. You can rent snorkeling equiptment but I am not positive about the jet skis; my hunch is Yes. they have volley ball games going, rafts, waling trails etc. It does get very crowded around noonish so I would recommend you head over the the island early, and then after lunch head back. We really enjoyed our tour last year. It reminded me of an old fashion beach picnic. NMnita
Old May 10th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Admiral

We have been twice, not jet ski's when we went.

They have snorkeling and they rent out thise huge float like round things.......

we never used that or had a massage or anything like that.

We just got off, went and got our chairs, enjoyed the sun and water, had the BBQ lunch, I walked quite abit , alot of volly ball.......
Old May 10th, 2007, 04:34 AM
Yeoman

We have been on Great Stirrup Cay once and next time, we might stay on the ship. The island is nice but there really isn´t much to do there and the food isn´t very good either.

If most of the passengers leave the ship, it might be nicer to stay on the ship. Spend the day on your balcony or in a hot tub!
Old May 10th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhag
We have been on Great Stirrup Cay once and next time, we might stay on the ship. The island is nice but there really isn´t much to do there and the food isn´t very good either.

If most of the passengers leave the ship, it might be nicer to stay on the ship. Spend the day on your balcony or in a hot tub!
Erik, it is fun to stay on the ship once in awhile when everyone else goes ashore. We do it, at least once every cruise. As for the private island, no there wasn't a lot to do, but we still enjoyed ourselves and thought the food was prretty good or pretty much what we expected might be a better way to put it. Like I said, it reminded me of my high school and college days in So Cal when we would spend the day at the beach. Maybe that is what I liked, it brought back so many memories.
Old May 10th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Admiral

I stayed on the ship after the first time there. The ants will eat you alive!

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old May 10th, 2007, 03:53 PM
First Mate

I don't recall any ants when we went. But most of my time was spent in the water! Do go and find you some chairs early. they have rows upon rows in front of each other of chairs with umbrellas. I wasn't impressed with the snorkeling, just a big rock with a few fish. I recomend bring your own snorkel stuff, but be prepared...they will require you to have a floatation vest on while snorkeling. I guess its the rule of the island. The food was good.
NCL JEWEL 4/9/2006
DISNEY WONDER 6/15/06
NCL SUN 1/23/07 (girls trip!)
NCL PEARL 3/30/07
RCCI MAJESTY OF THE SEAS 8/27/07
NCL Sky 8/31/09 (Mom's Bday Cruise)
Disney Magic 10/17/09 with the baby!!
Next Cruise...NCL Dawn 6/6/10 NYC to Bermuda ;-)
Old May 12th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Lazlow

If you're into that kind of thing, be sure to check out the walking trail to the lighthouse. You can't go in, but there's several other buildings and points of interest on the way. The buildings were formerly military lookouts for the US Military before the island was bought and the buildings were abandoned. It's not too long of a walk either, but the trail is rocky, so wear shoes.