Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 10th, 2007, 04:28 AM
Yeoman

Default Longer Alaskacruises?

Does anyone know if NCL has any plans to make any Alaskacruises that are longer than a week?

I think that one week is a little too short and I think that NCL had longer Alaskacruises a few years ago.

I know that Alaskacruises are expensive, one week in Alaska cost more than most of (all?) NCLs 12 night cruises, but one week still seems too short!
Old May 10th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Admiral

I don't remember them ever having cruises longer than 1 week. Most lines that offer longer cruises actually offer cruise/tours. They have 7 days of cruising combined with 3-7 days of touring Alaskas inland area. NMnita
Old May 10th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think Erik might be right, Nita. There was one summer, a couple of years ago, when they had the Dream in Alaska doing a longer itinerary -- 10 days maybe?? It's that summer when it had all the engine/azipod problems and they had to change the itinerary since they couldn't make all the stops. I don't remember details, just that there were LOTS of mad people!

The engine problems went on even after the Dream moved to Houston that winter, and they finally got the problem fixed not too longer after the hurricane hit Cozumel.

I'm another one who'd like to see them do a longer itinerary. It would be nice to see them do at least one one-way itinerary a year instead of the 3 round trip ones.
Old May 10th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute_fan
I think Erik might be right, Nita. There was one summer, a couple of years ago, when they had the Dream in Alaska doing a longer itinerary -- 10 days maybe?? It's that summer when it had all the engine/azipod problems and they had to change the itinerary since they couldn't make all the stops. I don't remember details, just that there were LOTS of mad people!

The engine problems went on even after the Dream moved to Houston that winter, and they finally got the problem fixed not too longer after the hurricane hit Cozumel.

I'm another one who'd like to see them do a longer itinerary. It would be nice to see them do at least one one-way itinerary a year instead of the 3 round trip ones.
you are right: i do remember that now. In fact I had a client that did the Dream last fall using all her credits from the disasterous Dream cruise to Alaska. She had a good time in spite of the problems but they did exist. Her cruise out of Houston ended up costing her about $450 for 2 including everything after all the certificates she had. NMnita
Old May 12th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Captain

Speaking of "wish they did ...." , I was talking to my personal NCL lady last week and i asked her how to communicate my desires for certain itineraries and she gave me this address: (gee I hope this doesn't violate some rule)

NCL customer relations
7665 Corporate Center Dr.
Miami FL 33126

Maybe we can get a letter writing campaign going. I'll support your itin, if you'll support mine

I would love to see a longer AK itinerary that was RT out of Seattle but able to do the College Fjords. I think 10 days should do it, easily.

I'd also love to see NCL do the British Isles. We did it on Princess last year and it was fabulous, port intensive and exhausting, but fabulous. I think Princess is the only line who does only England, Scotland, Ireland, No. Ireland, and Wales.

I'd also like to see them return to Houston (please, please, pretty please). I don't even CARE where they go (although I do like massages on the beach at Costa Maya and Roatan)
Old May 12th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'll definitely support your itineraries! The round-trip out of Seattle would work fine for me too. My reason for wanting a one-way trip is to get the opportunity to combine it with a land trip to Denali, but that will be a ways off for us anyway, as there's no way we could get that much time off work right now.

As far as Houston, I'm totally in agreement with that option too. Even though it's still a flight for us, getting to Houston just seems like a much more managable trip from SLC than Miami does. We love that Western Carribean itinerary, and did it twice on the Sea.

I keep hoping that when the new Houston terminal is ready that NCL will put a ship back into that market. According to a post on one of the other boards recently, someone had the captain from the Dream tell them thay they were planning on it, but who knows for sure?

I've actually got an email address for Colin Veitch. Maybe when we return from our trip, I'll drop him a "thank you" for the wonderful trip that we're planning on having, and make a suggestion for those itineraries.