Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 14th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Beginner

Default Newbie with a boatload of questions

Hi everyone!

We're planning our first cruise (and honeymoon) for next April on the Jewel, and I have a few questions:

1. What time can we actually get on the ship? What time should I plan our flight to arrive if we are going to arrive the day of sailing?

2. Is arrival the day of sailing as risky as everyone makes it sound? I'm not sure that we can get there the night before because of our plans for the wedding, and I'll be a good girl and get travel insurance...

3. Flights seem very expensive from our home airport and those nearby. Has anyone booked air and sea with Norwegian? Are the flights cheaper?

TIA for your help...I'm sure I'll have lots more questions later...

Jenn
Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Newbie with a boatload of questions

Hi Jenn,

Welcome to Cruisemates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn3024
Hi everyone!

We're planning our first cruise (and honeymoon) for next April on the Jewel, and I have a few questions:

1. What time can we actually get on the ship? What time should I plan our flight to arrive if we are going to arrive the day of sailing? [i]You should be able to board anytime after 11:00.

2. Is arrival the day of sailing as risky as everyone makes it sound? I'm not sure that we can get there the night before because of our plans for the wedding, and I'll be a good girl and get travel insurance... Yes, it's very risky booking your air on the same day as your sailing. If you can, fly in the day before.

3. Flights seem very expensive from our home airport and those nearby. Has anyone booked air and sea with Norwegian? Are the flights cheaper? They may be cheaper, but you may have to fly "around the world" to get there! (When we checked for one of our cruises the flight was from Arkansas to Detroit to Ft. Lauderdale ! Not something I wanted to do!) However, it can be done! (Travel insurance is a good idea for any reason!)

Jenn

Please ask any questions you like! Everyone here loves to help .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old May 14th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Newbie with a boatload of questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn3024
Hi everyone!

1. What time can we actually get on the ship? What time should I plan our flight to arrive if we are going to arrive the day of sailing?

2. Is arrival the day of sailing as risky as everyone makes it sound? I'm not sure that we can get there the night before because of our plans for the wedding, and I'll be a good girl and get travel insurance...

3. Flights seem very expensive from our home airport and those nearby. Has anyone booked air and sea with Norwegian? Are the flights cheaper?

Jenn
Welcome, you can ask all the questions you want; we love to give answers and advise even if we are not always correct.: My answers are similar to Ferns, if you want to fly on the same day as you sail I would advise you use the cruiseline air/sea; yes, the flights may not be as convenient as you would like but they will get you to the ship on time and include transfers with the price. Otherwise I don't recommend them. I would rather see you book your flight for a day or two prior to sailing. It is fun plus you are much more relaxed when you board the ship.

Normally you can start boarding around 11:30am. If you are worried about being able to arrive prior to sailing and don't want to use NCLs sea/air package book your flight for as early as possible.

Hope this helps you get started planning. BTW the Jewel is a wonderful ship.

NMnita
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Passenger

I tend to agree about using the NCL air if you are traveling to Europe the same day. We never do it in the US but we did last year for a Carnival cruise because we were concerned too. The only problem is the cruise line will give you what works cheapest for them, not works best in times for you. They may send you thru other cities as oppsed to using direct flights even if available. In your case, with no direct flight options anyway, definately go with the cruise line air/transfers for the reasons everyone else is telling you.
I would also check around for prices on the cruise and air before booking. Use the internet to check around vs a local TA. You may be pleasently surprised at the various discounts that Internet companies offer.

Have a great time!
Old May 28th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

I agree with the advise given so far regarding the cruise/air option. When NCL sets this up for you, they tend to make sure that you get to the ship on time or they will hold the ship at port if there are enough passengers on the way from the airport. If you are on their bus, they know when you will get there. It seems that there have been an inordinate amount of delays in flights in the past year or so and that is one reason why flying in the same day as the cruise is risky.

Another suggestion would be to get a travel insurance policy that will pay for a flight to the next port of call if you miss your departure time due to a flight delay. This won't be pleasant but it will salvage your honeymoon without a large hit to your wedding cash.

That being said, we have been on at least 10 cruises in the past 10 years and we have never had a problem. We have let NCL set up some of the airfare and we have done our own as well. When we went to Hawaii for example, we used their cruise/air.

Good luck and congratulations on your wedding.
-Jim in Buffalo
Old May 28th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

One quick comment about flying in the day of sailing. We returned yesterday from the Pearl, and there were passengers who missed the ship's sailing from Seattle. We made friends with some folks who were part of a large group of about 40 people traveling from Kansas. I'm not sure how many of their group missed the ship, but the 3 people we were visiting with were extremely glad they'd flown in the night before.

We did see passengers boarding the ship in Juneau, pulling their luggage up the gangway when we docked, so I'm hoping that they were able to catch up and make the majorit of the cruise.
Old June 7th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Beginner

OK, well first off enjoy this part of the vacation… The anticipation and online research ect. Is the fun… As, to your questions
1) I would advise you to call NCl and double check the time you can enter. It is different for different groups of people. If you are a latitudes member (sailed before with NCL) I think it is 11:00 but if you haven’t I think it might be a bit later. Also the first cruise you go on expect to wait a very! Long time on line at the port. After the first time you go to a latitudes line and it only takes a few minutes.

2) I have never done cruises that i need to fly to. I live 20 minutes from the port in NYC

Good luck and have fun !!!
Old June 7th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

Where does the Jewel cruise out of? Some responses have said Ny and some have said Europe?
1 NCL
1 American Hawaii
1 Celebrity
Holland America 1/15/11
Old June 7th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Beginner

I just looked into it …It is actually out of Miami… (Time to edit my previous post) ?