Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 2nd, 2007, 12:25 AM
Passenger

Default NCL Pearl to Alaska

Would love to hear comments from anyone currently on Pearl or just returned from Pearl to Alaska. We're going to be on the Pearl on the 24th.

Looking forward to the comments.
Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2007, 04:02 AM
Familiar Face

Default Pearl 6/24/07

See you on the 24th.
L.M.Moore
Old June 15th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

Have a wonderful time! We sailed the Pearl to Alaska on 5/20, and had a very enjoyable time. Make sure you take plenty of clothes to layer in, with a waterproof jacket or coat for your top layer -- just in case of rain. We had rain both days in Seattle (coming and going), beautiful weather in Juneau and Skagway, cloudy and overcast in Glacier Bay, and rain in Ketchikan.

Anything in particular you're wanting to know??
Old June 16th, 2007, 02:27 AM
Beginner

I'm a first time cruiser - going on the Pearl to Alaska on August 19. Trying to do my research online on what to bring and what my needs will be. I still haven't gotten a lot of information from NCL on what there is to see and do on days in ports. I'm in my 50's and single and going on the cruise with a friend. Are there many activities on board to help people meet others - - especially for someone who is relatively quiet and shy?
Old June 16th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378

we were going in 2008 but now it will be in 2009
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old June 17th, 2007, 05:02 AM
Passenger

Hi Danee, We are also on the Pearl on August 19th. We are lat 50s and from the UK. this will be our 14th cruise and 6th on NCL. We love NCL for its informality and 'Freestyle' dining.
To answer your question about the ports - if you go onto the NCL site and look at the dropdown menu for 'already booked' you will find the excursion programme. We have already booked ours - we do ships trips because you don't have the worry of being left behind if the trip is late back - but you can do most things independently too and usually cheeper. Try looking at the 'destinations' board on here and you will find plenty of suggestions.
There are plenty of activities where you can meet people and you can ask to share a table in the dining rooms. we do that regularly and have met many delightful people over the years.

The Pearl is a brand new ship and the reviews are fantastic. I'm sure we will allhave a great time.
Old June 20th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Passenger

Just returned from a week (6/10-6/17) on the Pearl. Very nice ship. We thought there wasn't enough time in the ports. Juneau was our first stop and we felt like cattle trying to get off. Town is very small. We did a rain forest excursion which was very nice. Take bug spray! Second stop was Skagway and it was a lot smoother gettting off. We got off early in the morning and was able to tour the town before the crowd. People were taking the train ride. We took a van thru the pass into Canda (1/2 price in town). Ketchikan we saw the totem poles and the lumberjack show. That was very good. We booked on the ship. Right outside the lumberjack show we picked up shrimp (large) and carried it back on board in a backback (to keep it warm). Ordered drinks in the Blue Lagoon and ate it there. It was so good. Tasted like lobster. Took awhile to get off in Victoria and the city has so much to offer and so little time to visit. We walked around the shops and listened to people playing music, then headed back to the ship. Had to catch a bus.
Glacier Bay was cold enough to wear a hat and light jacket. I'd bring clothes to layer, because some days it might be nice. Check the weather before you leave. If you plan on eating on board and don't want to eat buffet, try to make reservations before or right after your excursion. Right outside Mambo's on deck 8 you can review menus and make reservations. We were able to walk right in to the steak house and the Asian restaurant. A couple others we needed reservations, due to high demand. We were able to wear jeans to dinner every night. People did dress up for pictures and for dinner if they wanted. They have bingo on board (go early) and other activities. We liked the bowling the best.
First day will seem a little hectic if you fly in the same day.
Old June 24th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378

I can't wait till we go
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America