Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 7th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Beginner

Default Question about Passports and NCL

I have read that passports are not required (although recommended) until 2008. However, I had a co-worker tell me that NCL requires all passangers to have a passport - does anyone know if that is true? I can't imagine only certain cruise lines would require passports when others do not, but I thought I should double check. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2007, 05:14 AM
Yeoman

To be sure not to get in trouble when you shall board the ship, get a passport! Even if it´s not required now, that can change.
Old June 8th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Passenger

It depends on where you are cruising to. If you are taking an Alaskan cruise and will make a stop in Canada or take an excursion that goes into Canada, you do not need a passport until 2008, BUT you will need a certified birth certificate (original). The only catch is, if you get sick or hurt while across the boarder, they can not fly you out. You can only drive out or take the cruise ship out. I had my kids go ahead and get their passports for our trip this week-end, just to be safe and it makes it a lot easier. Be aware, it's taking a lot longer to get a passport these days. It took my daughter 12 weeks (just got it 2 days ago) and that was after I had called three times last week asking them to push it thru.
Old June 8th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Beginner

To be safe get a passport… If there is a problem on/with the boat and they need to make a stop that wasn’t planned you will need to have a passport to fly out.
Old June 8th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Admiral

I think it goes without saying, everyone should have a passport. Now that we have that out of the way, no, if you are sailing to Mexico, Alaska, or the Caribbean from a US port of entre you do not need one until 2008. BTW, it is taking anywhere from 8-16 weeks to get passports right now so for those who need them you had better give plenty of time for processing. I do think the rush is about ended, hopefully now that summer is really here most people will have applied and it will the back-up will die down a little.

NMnita : 8)
Old June 8th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to harleyy87

We just came back from NCL to Bermuda and as of this year passport is not needed, but if a problem arises and youhave to fly back and dont have 1 there will be a problem. It took 12 weeks for my passport to come back. If you leave on NCL and return to the same port birth cirtificate and drivers licene are ok.
Old June 8th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny_NCL_Pro
To be safe get a passport… If there is a problem on/with the boat and they need to make a stop that wasn’t planned you will need to have a passport to fly out.
Not anymore .....

BREAKING NEWS

Updated: 10 minutes ago
WASHINGTON - The Bush administration on Friday suspended some of its new, post-Sept. 11 requirements for flying abroad, hoping to placate Congress and irate summer travelers whose vacations have been thwarted by delays in processing their passports.

The proposal would temporarily lift a requirement that U.S. passports be used for citizens flying to and from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The rule, and its suspension, does not affect Americans driving across the Canadian or Mexican borders or taking sea cruises, although those travelers are expected to need passports beginning next year.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19107675/

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old June 8th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Shark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny_NCL_Pro
Not anymore .....

BREAKING NEWS

Updated: 10 minutes ago
WASHINGTON - The Bush administration on Friday suspended some of its new, post-Sept. 11 requirements for flying abroad, hoping to placate Congress and irate summer travelers whose vacations have been thwarted by delays in processing their passports.

The proposal would temporarily lift a requirement that U.S. passports be used for citizens flying to and from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The rule, and its suspension, does not affect Americans driving across the Canadian or Mexican borders or taking sea cruises, although those travelers are expected to need passports beginning next year.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19107675/
This applies to those who have already applied for passports and will be affect until the end of Sept. Thank some of your congressmen and women for this.NMnita