Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 12th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Passenger

Default HOW MANY "NON PAYING" RESTAURANTS ON NCL SUN?

My husband and I have Never cruised on NCL.....we don't want to have to pay to eat especially after having paid for the cruise and gratuities too......Any information would be great Also, what size are the tables in the Dining Room? We would like to eat with other people besides ourselves.
Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

The number of cost included restaurants varies depending on the ship you're sailing.

The table sizes also vary depending on the restaurant... though tables of 2 to 8 are pretty common.

I would reconsider the decision to not eat in the surcharge restaurants. Add about $60 per person to the cost of your cruise fare. If it's still a good deal, enjoy a few nights in the surcharge specialty restaurants, and take full advantage of NCL's freestyle experience.

As far as dining with others, you'll have to make friends on the ship, and make arrangements to dine together, as the cruise line normally does not just match people for tables as they come in.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old June 12th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

If you post which ship you're planning on sailing, someone should be able to give you a list of the specialty restaurants and what, if any, the additional charges are. We hardly ever eat in the specialty restaurants -- particularly the additional charge ones. On 4 NCL cruises, we've eaten in ONE pay restaurants, and that was mainly to accomodate some friends from a roll-call. Our last cruise on the Pearl was the first time we'd tried any of the non-pay specialty restaurants, so it's very possible to eat all your meals in the main dining room and still enjoy your cruise.

As far as eating with others, you can ask to share a table. Our experience, at dinner time, is that you rarely have anyone else who wants to join you. At breakfast and lunch, the other passengers seem much more willing to table share. My suggestion is that you get involved with the "meet on board" from this site if there is one going, or the roll-calls from one of the other cruise message boards. For us, that's been the easiest way to find other passengers who want to share our dinners. Send me a PM or email if you need further information.
Old June 12th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
The number of cost included restaurants varies depending on the ship you're sailing.

The table sizes also vary depending on the restaurant... though tables of 2 to 8 are pretty common.

I would reconsider the decision to not eat in the surcharge restaurants. Add about $60 per person to the cost of your cruise fare. If it's still a good deal, enjoy a few nights in the surcharge specialty restaurants, and take full advantage of NCL's freestyle experience.

As far as dining with others, you'll have to make friends on the ship, and make arrangements to dine together, as the cruise line normally does not just match people for tables as they come in.
Sorry, I have to disagree with Kuki . You can eat in Freestyle Dining anytime you want. You can ask to be seated with others (whoever's there first, and then they'll fill the table), or you can ask for a table for two. We often ate with other people and only asked for a table for two twice. We were able to get either choice any night. If you meet someone you want to eat with you can ask to be seated together.

We've never had the "urge" to spend extra $$ for the specialty dining rooms, but many people enjoy them.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old June 13th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Admiral

Fern, I'm glad to see your response.

We will be on NCL Pearl in Oct and it is the first NCL for us. I was wondering about sitting with others as I keep reading about sitting by yourself.

We have never used an extra pay dining on our cruises on Princess and don't see us doing it on NCL. We have always found the food in regular dining to more than satisfy us so why pay extra.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old June 18th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Admiral

I don't think anyone has to use a sur charge dining room, but just to try one seems to me to be part of the total experience. Some will eat all their meals in the specialty dining rooms, others not. We love Le Bistro. I could never sail on an NCL ship without my Le Bistro fix and many times they will offer 1/2 price the first night or maybe a 1/2 price if you eat early. That being said, you asked about what dining rooms are not extra and about table sizes. You can choose to eat with others or alone. We usually choose to dine with another couple. It is fun to visit with people from other places.

There are 2 restaurants that are included in the price, plus Las Rambles (I beleive you mentioned being on the Sun) which serves tapas. No, that isn't a complete meal, but you can almost make it one or do like Dd and I have done. We go to Las Rambles for tapas and later in the evening to the sports bar for Tuna Melts, Fish and chips or somthing like that. There is also Pacific Heights which is a lite and lean eatery. The food is really very good plus like on all ships, there is the buffet.

I hope this helps, you made some comment about the gratuities, this is something all ships add as well as most resorts. I don't know why that would have anything to do with your decision to eat in the free dining rooms only.

NMNita
Old June 30th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to ronandannette Send a message via MSN to ronandannette Send a message via Yahoo to ronandannette

No extra charge dining on the Sun:

Four Season Main Dining Room
Seven Seas Main Dining Room
Garden Cafe/Great Outdoors Cafe Buffet
Pacific Heights Restaurant (Cooking Light Magazine menu)
Las Ramblas Tapas Bar
Sprinkles Ice Cream Kiosk
Room Service

Specialty Restaurants with a fee:

Le Bistro (French)
Il Adagio (upscale Italian; we LOVED this one!)
Ginza (teppanyaki & sushi)
East Meets West (steakhouse)

For the OP - as I commented in my reply to your other post, the specialty restaurants are QUITE A BIT better than the main dining rooms. But that 's not to say that the main dining rooms are bad. In them you an request any kind of seating arrangement you want - by yourselves or with others. In the specialty restaurants you will make a reservation for the size of your party and be seated at your own table.

Happy Sails,

Annette