Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 19th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Passenger

Default NCL SUN....WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?

My husband and I have booked a cruise on this ship. We've never cruised with NCL before......Anyone know anything about this particular ship? Food? etc.
Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Familiar Face

We were on the Sun in Febuary, 2003 and liked it. It has had a refurbishing since then, and from other postings on boards it sounds great. We are booked on the repo cruise, San Diago to Miami through the Panama Canal in October, 2007. What cruise are you booked on with the Sun? It is in Alaska now. Hope this helps.

Charles

PS: We have had 8 cruises with Norwegian so you know we like them.
Old June 20th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Passenger

We have just come back from the Alaska Cruise June 10 to 17th

Our thoughts

The cruises ship and crew are fantastic
The restaurant's are 4 star Excellent

Downside the people you Cruise with I can only describe some of the passengers as coming from a trailer park

I know it is freestyle but bring some old clothes as you will fell overdressed
It a shame to say buts its mainly people from the USA
I thought smart casual meant shirt and slacks not camouflage and a dodgers shirt with suspenders
Old June 21st, 2007, 11:24 AM
Admiral

We certainly have never had the experience with dress on the Sun Brian had. Is it a little more relaxed than some lines? Yes, buy not to the extent he discribes. Of course all lines have reverted to less formal attire, even HAL. They now allow jeans at dinner on casual nights. Do I like this? No. Although you may see some dressed like slobs this isn't the majority. We saw one man on the Jewel a couple of years ago that wore the same clothes to dinner everynight. At least it seemed that way. He was a total slob, but we saw a guy who actally was at our meet and greet party and a couple of our tours on HAL last November that was the same way. I do think he and his snobby wife (she wasn't a very happy person) ate all their meals in the buffet. I never saw him wearing anything but work out type of shorts, t shirts and thong shoes.

NMnita
Old June 23rd, 2007, 12:12 PM
kookylabooka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian566
We have just come back from the Alaska Cruise June 10 to 17th

Our thoughts

The cruises ship and crew are fantastic
The restaurant's are 4 star Excellent

Downside the people you Cruise with I can only describe some of the passengers as coming from a trailer park

I know it is freestyle but bring some old clothes as you will fell overdressed
It a shame to say buts its mainly people from the USA
I thought smart casual meant shirt and slacks not camouflage and a dodgers shirt with suspenders
Have a problem with American's ? Stay on your side of the pond.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 01:58 PM
Passenger

I have no problems with Americans And visit friends there regular

We ate with all our fellow passengers each night I both American and Canadians all very nice people but all said the same.

Dont get me wrong I did not expect everbody in dinner jackets just smart dress for the Evening meal.
Old June 28th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Passenger

My daughter and I were on the Sun June 3 - June 10 and had a fantastic time. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the food was pretty good, as for the fellow passengers....some good and some not so friendly. But, you can find that anywhere, I don't think it only applys to ships.
The ship itself is beautiful and the cruise to Alaska was absolutely breathtaking.
Kim
Old June 30th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to ronandannette Send a message via MSN to ronandannette Send a message via Yahoo to ronandannette

Regarding the Sun herself, how much you like her will depend on what you value in a cruise experience.

The crew was, bar none, the friendliest, most helpful and hospitable we have ever seen. The decor is bright and pretty and we never perceived it as crowded except in the buffet. (The buffet dining it's self is a real low point, but it's easily avoided). The specialty restaurants are very good - we've not had a better meal land or sea than we had at Il Adagio. Main dining rooms are fine; never a wait and professional, if impersonal service. You will have to do specialty to get the truly excellent food and service though.

Where the ship lacks (in our experience) is in the area of active recreation choices. A couple of ping pong tables and a basketball hoop - that's pretty much it. They had golf putting into a paper cup one day in the atrium - wow. If you're not oriented towards things like rock climbing, bowling, ice skating, trampolining or surfing, the Sun is an EXCELLENT choice. For our preferences, we probably won't sail the Sun again, but we're not sorry that we did. It was a very nice trip.

Happy Sails,

Annette

P.S. I'm not sure why everyone gets so bent out of shape by what other people are wearing. On NCL especially, you come and go as you please and dress however you feel comfortable. I really can't say I even notice what others are doing, much less that it affects me in any way. We like to dress up a little and certainly were comfortable doing so. That some guy on the other side of the dining room sitting with his own family was or wasn't wearing shorts wouldn't even hit my radar screen.
Old June 30th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Admiral

annette,

good critique of the Sun even if I don't totally agree with you: well actually I pretty much do. As for the dress, I think it depends on what you see and expect. I don't care what one wears as long as it is neat, clean and fits the dress request of the day. I have to admit, when people come to the dining room looking like they should be working in their back yard I do take offense, I even was taken back by a particular gentleman on HAL last fall. He and wife did choose to eat at the buffet, I think every night, but it made little difference. This is someone who came to our MEET and GREET plus a couple of tours with us. ON formal optional night (the Jewerl) a couple of years ago a very much over weight man wore sandles to dinner. In fact everytime I saw him he was wearing the same outfit. This does offend me a little.

So, I guess I do notice and am embarrassed for them. Of course I should not let this bother me, if it doesn't bother them. Maybe what does bother me is the lack of respect these people are showing for rules. NMnita
Old July 1st, 2007, 11:14 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to ronandannette Send a message via MSN to ronandannette Send a message via Yahoo to ronandannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
annette,

So, I guess I do notice and am embarrassed for them. Of course I should not let this bother me, if it doesn't bother them. Maybe what does bother me is the lack of respect these people are showing for rules. NMnita
In thinking about it, I suppose the reason I can't warm up to this as a problem is because I REALLY, HONESTLY NEVER notice much of what others are doing around me. We vacation once per year and the time we spend is pretty focused on enjoying one another. We try to watch our manners carefully, basically conform to the rules and be sure we aren't impacting anyone else's experience negatively. Other than that, there might as well not be any other people onboard.

I understand that holidays, especially cruising can be a much more social experience for some. If we were really looking forward to interacting with new people I guess we'd be much more aware. Last year on the Mariner of the Seas we had traditional dining and I admit that our table mates did have much more potential to impact us if they had been inappropriate. On NCL though, no problem. In that environment it's easy to just avert your eyes, because after all, "It's NOT all about them".

Happy Sails,

Annette

P.S. Nita, I've always held our on-board experience on the Norwegian Sun in high regard. While I've definitely had ISSUES with NCL and some of it's loyalists I will always give credit where credit is due. As a TA I imagine you are very well positioned to have your clients sail NCL with proper expectations, as well as run interference with the shoreside service. We certainly recommend NCL to many (not all as per my above assessment) people but ALWAYS do so with the advice that they use the services of a TA as experienced as yourself.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 11:20 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronandannette
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
annette,

In thinking about it, I suppose the reason I can't warm up to this as a problem is because I REALLY, HONESTLY NEVER notice much of what others are doing around me. We vacation once per year and the time we spend is pretty focused on enjoying one another. We try to watch our manners carefully, basically conform to the rules and be sure we aren't impacting anyone else's experience negatively. Other than that, there might as well not be any other people onboard.

I understand that holidays, especially cruising can be a much more social experience for some. If we were really looking forward to interacting with new people I guess we'd be much more aware. Last year on the Mariner of the Seas we had traditional dining and I admit that our table mates did have much more potential to impact us if they had been inappropriate. On NCL though, no problem. In that environment it's easy to just avert your eyes, because after all, "It's NOT all about them".

Happy Sails,

Annette

P.S. Nita, I've always held our on-board experience on the Norwegian Sun in high regard. While I've definitely had ISSUES with NCL and some of it's loyalists I will always give credit where credit is due. As a TA I imagine you are very well positioned to have your clients sail NCL with proper expectations, as well as run interference with the shoreside service. We certainly recommend NCL to many (not all as per my above assessment) people but ALWAYS do so with the advice that they use the services of a TA as experienced as yourself.
Thanks Annette,

I try to prepare clients for whatever line they choose and never push my views down their throat. Actually, in the past few years I think I have only had one really unhappy passenger. She wasn't the easiest to deal with, it was after Katrina and I had suggested (before Katrina) she not sail NCL. I just knew it wasn't a good match, In fact it might be the only time I have ever told a client not to sail a particular line: I prefer to tell the the peos and cons, let them make up their mind: anyway, she didn't follow my advise, held me responsible for a horrible cruise experience and even tried to get NCL to refund her money. It was a Thanksgiving cruise, there were about 8 of them, 3 cabins, 2 toddlers, a year old each, Cozumel had just re-opened and her reasoning for wanting her money back: the ship should never have stopped at Cozumel, the island was too far gone. Of course the week before it was re-opened she was pissed cause the Sun wasn't going to stop there. Some people just are never satisfied.

Most of the time my job is the most fun job in the world casue everyone is happy.

Nita
Old July 2nd, 2007, 12:10 PM
Yeoman

I agree with nmnita when it comes to what people wear in the diningrooms, those who wear jeans and shorts for dinner when the rule is NO JEANS OR SHORTS don´t respect the rules.

If they don´t respect that rule, do they respect other rules and intructions? Do they pass CREW ONLY signs too? In case of an emergency, do they listen to the crewmembers?

In some cases I really don´t understand the no jeans rule, some jeans really look much smarter than many other kinds of trousers but that´s not really the point, a rule is a rule.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 12:39 PM
Passenger

I agree with Erik. A rule is a rule. When my daughter and I were on NCL Sun June 3-10 we went to one of the restaurants and saw the sign that said No Jeans so we turned around and went to the Buffet that night and wore different clothes the next time we wanted to go to the restaurants. It was really not a problem, but we did see a couple have an issue with the no jeans rule and I wondered where they learned their language and manners from. The gentleman turned on my daughter when she said something about the staff just trying to do their jobs.
We had a fantastic time on the cruise and I am planning on doing it again in 5 years with my husband for our 30th Anniversary.
Old July 4th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Passenger

To get back to OP's question, we have our second trip booked on the Sun in February. It is our favorite ship. You should enjoy her.
HAL Zuiderdam 09/2005
NCL Sun 01/2005
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas 09/2004
Carnival Legend 01/2004
NCL Majesty 04/2003
Old July 6th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Captain

We have sailed the Sun three times. I did a review on at least 2 of those voyages so I would recommend that you check out the readers reviews on this site.

A thumbnail answer is: The Sun is one of our favorite ships. Our last voyage was our least favorite but hopefully the service issues have been resolved by now. I would not hesitate to sail her or recommend her.

Enjoy!
MagnoliaBlossom
aka Georgia in the reviews
Old July 6th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Blossom
We have sailed the Sun three times. I did a review on at least 2 of those voyages so I would recommend that you check out the readers reviews on this site.

A thumbnail answer is: The Sun is one of our favorite ships. Our last voyage was our least favorite but hopefully the service issues have been resolved by now. I would not hesitate to sail her or recommend her.

Enjoy!
MagnoliaBlossom
aka Georgia in the reviews
9 days and the Pearl and only 66 til Carnival. boy, you must be excited.

We have about 85 before we sail the Star and I can hardly wait.

Nita
Old July 17th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by romancing_the_sea
The Sun is close to being a sister ship of the Sky - one of our favorite ships (now the Pride of Aloha). The irony is we used to seek out ships with reputations for being more "upscale" like Celebrity, Princess, and HAL but we've discovered we have more fun on NCL.
exactly, that is us. When we go on vacation we go to relax and don't care about formality. We want a fun experience, that is why we have gotten more into the mid range cruise lines, especially NCL with a balance of night life without being overdone, good food (not always the best) relaxed dress code and choices other lines don't offer.

nita
Old July 20th, 2007, 03:57 PM
First Mate

The sun was a very relaxed older ship. I had an issue with the smoking area in the main atrium. But I am a nonsmoker. Food and service was great. Will I sail her again, probably not.
NCL JEWEL 4/9/2006
DISNEY WONDER 6/15/06
NCL SUN 1/23/07 (girls trip!)
NCL PEARL 3/30/07
RCCI MAJESTY OF THE SEAS 8/27/07
NCL Sky 8/31/09 (Mom's Bday Cruise)
Disney Magic 10/17/09 with the baby!!
Next Cruise...NCL Dawn 6/6/10 NYC to Bermuda ;-)
Old July 23rd, 2007, 02:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo
The sun was a very relaxed older ship. I had an issue with the smoking area in the main atrium. But I am a nonsmoker. Food and service was great. Will I sail her again, probably not.
I don't think the smoking will be an issue for anyone anymore. As for being an older ship? It is 6 years old, will be 7 in November. I guess older is in the eyes of the beholder, but to me, a ship isn't older until it reaches about 10.

Just my thoughts and I do hope all the new smoking rules help those who are non smokers without interferring too much with smokers rights as well.

Nita
Old July 23rd, 2007, 06:12 PM
Captain

Nita - yep, we're pretty excited about the Freedom in 6 weeks.
Just off the Pearl yesterday and I must say, the smoking areas seemed to be dramatically reduced over our last NCL cruise (Feb.). I'd not kept up with the threads about it since I'm not a smoker, but it certainly was noticeable to me.

I too would not have thought of the Sun as an "older" ship but I guess that's just me.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 08:15 PM
First Mate

My bad, I guess 6years aint old. I've just been spoiled by sailing the brand spankin new NCL ships the Pearl and the Jewel and I suppose I was compairing the sun to them. Great news about the smoking going away!
NCL JEWEL 4/9/2006
DISNEY WONDER 6/15/06
NCL SUN 1/23/07 (girls trip!)
NCL PEARL 3/30/07
RCCI MAJESTY OF THE SEAS 8/27/07
NCL Sky 8/31/09 (Mom's Bday Cruise)
Disney Magic 10/17/09 with the baby!!
Next Cruise...NCL Dawn 6/6/10 NYC to Bermuda ;-)
Old August 29th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Beginner

We just got off that ship.
It's not bad at all. Freestyle dining is a nice idea. No stress about when to have dinner. I did find that the breakfast buffet was fast and good but the main dinning room is a much better breakfast if you have the time.
They have a great steakhouse (20$ extra). The atmosphere is laid back. Great for families, young to old. The staff seams genuinely friendly and very hard working.
You will enjoy the entertainment. But stay away form the Art Auction. THe free champagne is not worth the trouble I am having now. Not NCL's fault. Be wary of the "free charms" they give you in the jewlery stores. It is very high pressure sales. Unless of course you are wanting to buy some nice expensive jewlery.
Hope you have a nice trip.
Old August 29th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by genolin
We just got off that ship.
It's not bad at all. Freestyle dining is a nice idea. No stress about when to have dinner. I did find that the breakfast buffet was fast and good but the main dinning room is a much better breakfast if you have the time.
They have a great steakhouse (20$ extra). The atmosphere is laid back. Great for families, young to old. The staff seams genuinely friendly and very hard working.
You will enjoy the entertainment. But stay away form the Art Auction. THe free champagne is not worth the trouble I am having now. Not NCL's fault. Be wary of the "free charms" they give you in the jewlery stores. It is very high pressure sales. Unless of course you are wanting to buy some nice expensive jewlery.
Hope you have a nice trip.
so true, even if you get your art work, I am not sure it is worth the hassle. We have bought a couple of pieces. As for the jewelry, on or off the ship, be aware of what you are getting. NMNita
Old September 13th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Familiar Face

We sailed on the Sun last April to the Western Caribbean and we thought the ship was VERY nice. And that's not just because we had a great room (an aft Penthouse Suite).

We sailed on the brand-spanking new Jewel in 2005 and she was terrific! We knew the Sun had a "few years under her belt," so we boarded with a few reservations. However, we did not see anything onboard that looked the least bit shabby, needed paint, a good scrubbing or looked "grubby" from age. Everything was clean and shipshape!

We had great service everywhere, we found the food good and our fellow passengers quite friendly. Most passengers dressed nicely at the appropriate times, but then you always have a few people who just don't get that it's "resort casual" for dinner in the dining room. That's not limited to maritime activities however; we once saw a woman at the opera in an evening dress and curlers in her hair. Each to his own!

Anyway, I think you will like the Sun. We never passed a crew member while onboard who didn't smile at us and say "Hello" or "Have a good day." I would sail on the Sun again anytime!

Lesley
2003 Mississippi Queen
2004 HAL Westerdam
2005 Norwegian Jewel
2007 Norwegian Sun
2009 HAL Westerdam
2010 RCI Vision Of The Seas
2011 HAL Nieuw Amsterdam
2014 Norwegian Jewel
Old December 5th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Beginner

I went on my first cruise on the Sun to Alaska, Aug 12-19. I enjoyed most of it, most of the staff were very nice. I was not impressed with some of the food services. But the biggest problem is now I am dealing with a nasty little situation involving the print that I "won in a drawing" during one of the art auctions. I was charged $95 to ship it . I finally contacted NCL and the auction company a couple days ago. I am now being told that NCL does not deal with that company anymore. Both companies in their communication with me blame the other for not letting me know my print was not going to be shipped,although the still billed my CC for the shipping costs. I am very NOT impressed! I will cruise again but most definitely NOT with NCl.