Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 4th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Beginner

Default Norweigan Star

Never cruised NCL. Read some not-so-good "issues" about the ship in general - food quality, service, room cleanliness. Our family is planning a group trip on the Star to Alaska in '08 and I have reservations about NCL in general. I've always cruised Royal Carribean, Princess and Celebrity in the past, but because this ship/itinery was the cheapest for our famly, everyone else wanted to do this one. PLEASE I need to make this decision this week (7/07), and I almost deciding not to go. An Alaskan cruise is expensive, especially doing the excursions. I just want a postive experience and not have bad memories once I am home. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old July 4th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Passenger

We cruised on the Star last fall to Mexico. The ship was always clean and the staff always seemed friendly. I can't compare it to Princess yet since we haven't been on it yet, but it was much nicer than the older Carnival ship we went on. The only problem that I could say NCL had was communitcation. Things happened before and during the cruise that could have been handled better if the staff was told what was going on and allowed to tell the passengers. All in all it was a great cruise.

The food was good. The ice cream is free, if that is something you want. The shows were so so. The Disney cruise we went on was by far better for shows. My wife like the shows though, so I guess it all depends on personal taste.

The boat might not be up to Princess or Celebrity on food, but I am sure it is at least as good as Royal Carribean.

If price is a issue go NCL. If not, Princess seems to be known for its Alaskan cruises so go with them. Either way I am sure you will have a good time.

Princess Golden - Meaxican Riviera Oct/Nov '07
Norwegian Star - Mexican Riviera Oct '06
Carnival Ecstasy - Catalina/Mexico April '02
Disney Wonder - 3 day Bahamas Nov '99
Old July 4th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Norweigan Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasiamz
Never cruised NCL. Read some not-so-good "issues" about the ship in general - food quality, service, room cleanliness. Our family is planning a group trip on the Star to Alaska in '08 and I have reservations about NCL in general. I've always cruised Royal Carribean, Princess and Celebrity in the past, but because this ship/itinery was the cheapest for our famly, everyone else wanted to do this one. PLEASE I need to make this decision this week (7/07), and I almost deciding not to go. An Alaskan cruise is expensive, especially doing the excursions. I just want a postive experience and not have bad memories once I am home. Thanks
haven't cruised the Star yet but will in a couple of months but I will tell you want I have read and heard. Cleanliness: the Star got a 94 rating by CDC on it's last inspeciton which doesn't indicate the ship is dirty in any way. Yes, many of NCL ships are 98-100 but 94 is certainly respectable. As for food, I have had several clients as well as my boss and his extended family cruise the Star in the past year. Not one person has had even a minor complaint about the food.

I don't know what you expect from those on these posts? If you are already prepared to not enjoy NCL maybe you should look for something else. If what you are looking for is encouragement that is different. The overall view of NCL is mixed, depending on what your cruise expectations are and the ships you sail. Just like Celebrity, RCI or any other line, the older ships do leave a lot to be disired for some. the newer ships, including the Star are every bit as nice as any fleet. If you want to look for negatives, every thread will have some, regardless of the line.

I have cruised among other lines, RCI and Celebrity but not Princess. I would certainly rate NCL in the same catagory with RCI, depending on the age of the ship. Celebrity is probably a 1/2 step up especially when it comes to food but they don't have the choices you have with NCL. Catagory per catagory, NCL cabins will be similar in size and just as nice as Celebrity or RCI, maybe larger than RCI>

Yes, Alaska is expensive, for us, doing the tours privately were much less expensive than through the cruise line.

Most of the negatives you have read probably were about NCLA which is the company that sails the American flagged ships. Although under the NCL umbrella and similar they are very different as well.

The only draw back I might see would be a large group (you didn't say how many in your group) all being able to eat at the same time, together. Even this may not be so bad, maybe you don't want to all sit together each evening.

Hope this helps a little.

Nita
Old July 4th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Passenger

I have heard goods and bads about the Star. When we were on our last cruise, we met some people that cruise all the time and about our age. They went on the Star and said it was their best and funnest cruise yet. I have read many reviews and I would say they vary 50/50. Yes, some ships and some lines are better than others, but if this one is more reasonable to Alaska and you just go on it with no expectations, I'm sure you'll still have a great time. I have had a great time on every cruise I've been on, and yes, some ships, food, etc are better than others, but a cruise on anything is better than no cruise at all. From what I read, it's not the best line or ship in the world, but it's not all that bad either. I'm sure there are worse and I'm sure there are better. All cruises are still fun in my opinion and all have their goods and bads. I've never starved on a cruise either. There is always something to eat that I will like.
Old July 4th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hope this helps...I sailed on the Star in May 2005 to Alaska. It was my first cruise. I went with my mother (I was 26, she was 61). We had an AMAZING time. Granyed, at the time I didn't have anything to compare it to, but since I took NCL Wind to Hawaii in 10-06 and I am booked on NCL Pearl to Caribbean in 10-07. I had absoloutely no problems or issues. I only booked the cruise through my travel agent. I planned my own airfare and hotel before nad after cruise. Since I flew from NH, I flew in the day before and flew out the day after disembarkation. Price was a major consideration..we stayed in an inseide room. Yes, it was small, buy plenty big enough to sleep. I thought the shows were great, and the food was very good. I think there was like 12 restaurants to choose from. Personally...I never went to a restaurant we needed to pay for.

Shore Excursions: I know these can be expensive, but I feel this is the best way to experience where you are at.

Juneau: Dog Sledding: This was our big treat. Yes a little pricey, but a once in a lifetime experience. Helipcopter ride over glaciers, land on a glacier, interact with dogs and then you get to ride and mush a dog led sled with a guide. My mother and I still talk about it!

Skagway: Took train ride through Yukon (Something like that..popular excursion)

Ketchikan: Rainforest excursion...waste of money..no real wild life (only one eagle)

Victoria: Whale Watch ...waste as well.

I hope you try NCL...I think it is what you make it any where you go. There is something for everyone! Happy crusing!
Norwegian Dream October 2008 (Bermuda)
Norwegian Spirit September 2009 (Bermuda)
Caribbean Princess May 2010 (Caribbean)
Old July 6th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Passenger

We were on the Star in February, and it was our best cruise yet! I did not notice one thing that could be called "dirty." The ship absolutely sparkled everywhere. The staff was beyond terrific -- always smiling, helpful and attentive.

I would not hesitate to recommend the Star and will definitely be cruising on her again in the future.
Old July 11th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Beginner

DW and I cruised on the Star to Mexico, The freestyle cruising with a group is nice. The ship was very well maintained, normal were and tear, but nice. The crew was terriffic!! Food about the same as Carnival or RCCL. We had a group of 10 and it was nice being able to dine a the differnt resturants.

Go with an open mind, make a point to have fun and enjoy your vacation. If somethings are not quite up to par, go with the flow.
Old July 11th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Beginner

Thank you everybody. It sounds like you all had a great time on this ship. And I guess, like every cruise line, things can happen. I made my decision to go on the Star - especially to be with family. After all - A CRUISE! Sure beats being home! I especially like the excursions review. Now it will be what to and not to do. So many choices. Any other suggested places/excursions to miss/not miss?
Old January 5th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Passenger

I am going on the star in April
any suggestions??
thanks