Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 4th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Passenger

Default NCL vs. RCI??

Hello,
We are loyal RCI cruisers but are considering the NCL Majesty out of Boston in July. We're wondering what the differences between the two lines would be (other than the freestyle cruising thing). If you could comment on the kids' program, rooms, activities, level of service, quality of the food, or anything else you'd like to throw in, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!!!!
Grandeur of the Seas August 2005
Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Admiral

Freestyle is wonderful, the two lines are probably very similar with a few exceptions: RCI offers a little more variety in activities and NCL offers the freestyle dining. That being said, the important thing to remember is, the Majesty wasn't built for freestyle dining and is an older ship with small cabins. You might be disappointed if you are accustom to sailing RCIs newer ships.

I had a client that did a family cruise on the Majesty about 5 years ago (wasn't a client then) anyway they did not enjoy themselves and thought they would never do NCL again. Well, a few years ago friends wanted to do NCL and they decided to cruise together. The NCL haters came back thinking there could never be a line quite like NCL>

If you do decide keep all this in mind. I am not saying the Majesty can't be a good experience, I am just trying to let you know what the opinions of some others are.

Nita
Old July 5th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Passenger

I think the thing to remember when sailing the Majesty or the Crown to Bermuda, is that Bermuda is the destination and the cruise is a marvelous way to get there, and enjoy Bermuda at an affordable price. On the otherhand, if you consider the ship to be your destination, then you probably should consider another option. The level of service on NCL is outstanding, all of the staff are attentive and friendly. The one plus of sailing the Majesty is the Dine Ashore program. You have the opportunity to eat lunch in Bermuda for $5.00 or dinner for $10.00. The Carriage House in St. Georges is a wonderful restaurant and included in this program. I have read postings from cruisers who have sailed the Majesty seven years in a row! I am sailing the Crown twice in a row and I also sailed the NCL Sea in 2004. We love Bermuda that much. p.s. I think that the cabins on the Majesty are actually larger than the RCI ship that sails to Bermuda, but you should confirm that. The food on NCL and RCI is comparable. (in my opinion, good, not fantastic, for both, but that is my opinion only) p.s. Boston is a wonderful city, dd attends school there. Plan on spending a couple of extra days there to extend your vacation.