Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Beginner

Default what makes formal night so special?

What makes formal night so special besides dressing up, is there dancing, music or special foods? Before we pack a suite and gown we liked to know. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Admiral

dq,

It isn't so special to many, but there are those who either are accustom to cruising 20 plus years ago when everyone dressed to the nines, got formal pictures taken, kept there best cloths on the entire evening and it just was very special or those who don't have an opportunity to dress for formal occassions often and want to feel very special one or two nights on their cruise.

For us, one night is ok, preferably without the tux but other than that we don't like dragging all those clothes with us. We opt for a little less formal, but a little more than resort casual.

Nita
Old July 10th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by romancing_the_sea
We thought it was special when we were new to cruising but now we try to avoid it - it's mostly an opportunity for the ship to sell photos.
Great reasoning. It like the photos period. How many did we buy the first cruise, and second etc? How many now? Well now, it rare for us to buy even one.
Old July 11th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Admiral

I still like the formals, we did not do all three last cruise but we did two. Just something nice about the whole family dressing up , but we never go as slobs on non formal nights either. I still like pictures but dont buy as many , just the ones that I really like.
Old July 13th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Yeoman

Yes, a big part of the formal night is that they want to sell lots of photos, but you don´t have to buy any! We don´t buy many photos, the prices really are outrageous, but it´s nice to have the formal picture with the captain.

They normally give those waiting in lines, both for the portrait with the captain and for the formal diningroom, free sparkling wine (they call it champagne but it´s sparkling wine!).
Old July 13th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Beginner

Default ncl formal nights

As others have said the formal nights are entirely your own choice. Everyone dressed smart casual most nights. I agree about the photos . We did DRESS one night when formal photos were being taken. We did buy1 large photograph and found them to be a lot less expensive than on Thomson cruises
Old July 13th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Captain

What makes it special It is normally the same night they serve lobster Not that I bring a tux or suit anymore on NCL.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old July 13th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreguy
What makes it special It is normally the same night they serve lobster Not that I bring a tux or suit anymore on NCL.
No, but I do think, if I am not mistaken you wear a sprots jacket..