CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Norwegian Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/)
-   -   ncl Pride of America vs. Pride of Aloha (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/336126-ncl-pride-america-vs-pride-aloha.html)

Jordan_Babyx3 July 11th, 2007 12:24 AM

ncl Pride of America vs. Pride of Aloha

next summer my family and i are planning on doing a Hawaiian cruise and from the reviews i have heard so far both ships are not good. But you guys have more knowlage about these ships! witch ones do you guys prefer? and if you please would share your good or bad storys, it would be alot of help! and since i am a teen, if you know anything about the teen events that would be helpful too.
thankyou
= ]]

MaryLou July 11th, 2007 07:04 AM

From everything I have read, I would stay away from Pride of Aloha. My boss was actually booked on her for September and I had him change it to Pride of Hawaii. Of course, you do not have that option for next year.

Jordan_Babyx3 July 11th, 2007 01:31 PM

yeahh thats true. have you heard anything about POA becasue i have heard nothing but bad reports about it?

BigE11378 July 19th, 2007 01:28 PM

We love the Pride of America so much we are going back onboard her next year in October for our second cruise oh her. the Aloha is an older ship that my brother and my best friend cruised on and did not like as much as we liked the America.

Cruisin Lady July 20th, 2007 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan_Babyx3
yeahh thats true. have you heard anything about POA becasue i have heard nothing but bad reports about it?

The POA was originally the Norwegian Sky and refit to sail for NCL America in Hawaii. The Norwegian Sky was inaugurated in 1999. The most consistent feedback was the cabin size very small and cramped and lack of storage space. Unfortunately, those are two things that cannot be changed with refurbs.

BigE11378 July 22nd, 2007 10:26 PM

We also have sailed on The NCL Spirit (formerly) which was the ship sent to Alaska originaly (From Star Cruises) to replace The Norwegian Sky there. So we have sailed most of the ships involved in the Hawaii change of ships etc. I would recomend the Pride of America and I have, but you realy can not go wrong in Hawaii as it is incredible even if you went in a canoe.

abcdriver57 September 15th, 2007 03:48 PM

MYSELF AND THREE FRIENDS WENT TO HAWAII IN AUG. AFTER BOARDING THE PRIDE OF ALOHA AND BEING THERE ABOUT 4 DAYS, WE ALL WISHED TO JUMP SHIP.

THIS BEING OUR 7TH CRUISE AND FIRST ON NCL WE WERE ALL APPALLED BY THE ROOM, RUDE CREW AND LACK OF THINGS PROMISED.

LINENS FOR WEEK WERE NEVER CHANGED, RUNNING OUT OF FOOD, BEING REFUSED SERVICE BY RUDE STAFF, A FEW STAFF WERE VERY NICE BUT ON THE WHOLE THE STAFF WAS ILL FIT, UNCLEAN AND SEE THRU IN THEIR UNIFORMS. THEY DIDN'T MUCH CARE IF THEY TALKED RUDE OR DIDN'T HELP.

HAD TO BUY WATER, COKE CARD WAS TWICE THE PRICE OF ANYOTHER LINE, AND HARD TO GET A DRINK.

TWO OF MY FRIENDS ARE DIABETIC AND THERE WAS NOT ONE THING ON FOOD AREAS THAT WAS SUGAR FREE OR FOR COMSUMPTION ON THE NORMAL EITHER. BUFFET WAS DISGUSTING, TRIED ROOM SERVIE A COUPLE OF TIME AND WAS SERVED COLD, NOT WHAT YOU ORDERED BECAUSE THEY RAN OUT OF IT OR UNEATABLE.

THERE WAS MANY COMPLIANTS FROM MANY PASSENGERS I HAD TALKED TO OVER THE WEEK.

NEVER AGAIN N.C.L.

BigE11378 September 16th, 2007 04:09 PM

We did not run into any of these issues on the Pride of America. I sometimes think that things are blown out of proportion when on the cruise. we had some issues and were upset but they took care of them or made restitution.

David 1 September 19th, 2007 05:57 PM

Jordon: Don't know what happened to others above, but I just got back from Pride Of America 9-16-07. I would recommend it highly. There were at least 3 deserts sugar free and I don't think they put sugar in the meats and vegetables. The staff were polite and had no problems but I am not one that requires a lot of pampering. Some complained about storage space, but I have cruised many times on different ships and we had more drawer space than we ever had.

nmnita September 19th, 2007 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abcdriver57
MYSELF AND THREE FRIENDS WENT TO HAWAII IN AUG. AFTER BOARDING THE PRIDE OF ALOHA AND BEING THERE ABOUT 4 DAYS, WE ALL WISHED TO JUMP SHIP.

THIS BEING OUR 7TH CRUISE AND FIRST ON NCL WE WERE ALL APPALLED BY THE ROOM, RUDE CREW AND LACK OF THINGS PROMISED.

LINENS FOR WEEK WERE NEVER CHANGED, RUNNING OUT OF FOOD, BEING REFUSED SERVICE BY RUDE STAFF, A FEW STAFF WERE VERY NICE BUT ON THE WHOLE THE STAFF WAS ILL FIT, UNCLEAN AND SEE THRU IN THEIR UNIFORMS. THEY DIDN'T MUCH CARE IF THEY TALKED RUDE OR DIDN'T HELP.

HAD TO BUY WATER, COKE CARD WAS TWICE THE PRICE OF ANYOTHER LINE, AND HARD TO GET A DRINK.

TWO OF MY FRIENDS ARE DIABETIC AND THERE WAS NOT ONE THING ON FOOD AREAS THAT WAS SUGAR FREE OR FOR COMSUMPTION ON THE NORMAL EITHER. BUFFET WAS DISGUSTING, TRIED ROOM SERVIE A COUPLE OF TIME AND WAS SERVED COLD, NOT WHAT YOU ORDERED BECAUSE THEY RAN OUT OF IT OR UNEATABLE.

THERE WAS MANY COMPLIANTS FROM MANY PASSENGERS I HAD TALKED TO OVER THE WEEK.

NEVER AGAIN N.C.L.

I can't tcomment on the crew but some of what you say I can. Did they ask about diabetic sugar free desserts? I k know there is sugar free ice cream plus NCL like most lines go above and beyond to satisfy special diet needs. I beleive the coke cards are almost identical on all lines. Maybe you are not aware the prices in the past year have increase industry wide. AS for water, are you going to actually make us beleive you couldn't get a glass of water? I have been cruising for 25 years on all type of lines, linens, unless there is a reason are not changed. This has become a policy in hotels as well.

YOu may not have liked your cruise or the buffet. Room service is NCLs weak spot, but much of what you say is questionable.

Nita

abcdriver57 October 17th, 2007 11:45 PM

It is a shame you can't believe what I said, but it is the truth, this is the Pride of Aloha, maybe other ships are better, but this one was the pits.

BigE11378 October 19th, 2007 10:09 PM

Nita now you know I love Pride of America and I feel that a lot of the posts go overboard on critisizing NCL/NCLA but in this one I will say that getting water (for free) is tough as water is in limited supply in Hawaii so they do not bring glasses of it to your table in any restaraunt you have to ask for it. as a funny story they offer bottled water to you much like they would offer wine in the presentation etc...being a dummy i did not pay attention that i was paying for the poland spring bottled water till three days into the cruise. it was kinda funny.

B. Turner October 20th, 2007 12:44 AM

We cruised on the POA. Had a wonderful time. Took our three teenage grandsons....they had a ball. We had two outside cabins side by side. I would have booked a suite for about the same price but all were taken. NCL had me on a waiting list in case anyone cancelled. But no one cancelled. The staff knew the boys by first name within a couple of hours. Always greeted the boys and even had pizza ready when they saw them coming. Our boys were well treated by all the staff. Even the captain stopped and talked with us when we were sitting in one of the lounges. We had only one problem -Our air conditioner was freezing us....we called and the repairmen were there in 10 minutes. We did not take the land tours. We rented a car on each island. Renting a car was a savings vs. taking 5 on land tours! We were able to see and do everything we wanted. Would go back in a flash.

tgleason October 26th, 2007 12:11 AM

We took the Pride of Hawaii in AUgust 2007 . Worst cruise ever. Don't take the pride of Hawaii and from what I heard from people we met at the airport don't take any of the other NCL America Ships.