Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 12th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Beginner

Default First Cruise - Alaska September 16-23 - Questions

Hi there,

My girlfriend and I are thinking of taking our first ever cruise. We are thinking of the Roundtrip Seattle with NCL on September 16-23. It visits Glacier Bay and is very economical because of the time of year.

Just wondering what the positives or negatives would be travelling at this time of year and with NCL?

Considering it is our FIRST cruise, we are very curious as to what to expect. We just want to get away and it sounds reasonable for us to do something like this, this fall.

We are planning on just staying in an inside cabin, and are wondering if it is okay to book something like this via Travelocity or Expedia? We would be receiving an inside cabin GUARANTEE if we reserve this way. What is the likelihood of upgrade free?

Thanks for anyone who takes the time to give some answers!
corpfan1
Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Passenger

I booked a guarntee balcony cabin in the lowest catagory through Expedia and was upgraded to the highest, so it worked out well for me. Not sure they would upgrade to a new catagory though ie: inside to outside. Also, I had no problems through Expedia. They sent me all my information at once and links to NCL to pre register and then the special NCl link to print the electronic documents. I did my air on my own and opted to arrive a day early just to be safe. To me, the extra hotel (Hilton, very close to the pier) cost is worth it to ensure I am on the ship on time.

As to what to expect, well I have never cruised with NCL before but I can say that I have enjoyed my past cruises. It is a great way to travel. I leave August 4th for the same cruise you are thinking of. Hope you have fun on yours.
Old July 12th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Beginner

Thank you for your tips!

We are debating between Travelocity and Expedia...it is about $10 cheaper per person for Travelocity at this point.

We are also planning on arriving in Seattle BEFORE the cruise...actually 3 nights before to explore Seattle.

After the cruise we are planning on attending an NFL football game as we have never done that before either and it is in the afternoon following the cruise!

We really hope the weather in September will be decent.

I am also interested in going FISHING and would love to hear any feedback from those who have done that as an excursion.

Thanks!!
Old July 12th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'm assuming you're on the Pearl since you mentioned Glacier Bay. We sailed on her in May and I'd be happy to answer specific questions if you have any.

I'd never sailed to Alaska in September. From the reading I've done, however, it's historically the rainiest and coolest time of the year -- so go prepared with lots of layers. Also, you're late enough in the season that some of the excursions won't be operating, or will be scaling back. If you're interested in shopping at all, you'll probably find good deals in the stores, as I think you're right at the end of the season.

Have a wonderful time!