Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Hey Folks: Jeans Now Allowed in NCL Dining Rooms

Well: The jeans question has finally been answered by NCL. Jeans will be allowed in all of their dining rooms. One dining room will remain formal but all others will stay casual.

Here is a link to their updated FAQ:

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cm...=FAQ#dresscode

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Admiral

Quite fine by me as long as they are neat. I really never cared about how oher people choose to dress. We will still dress up one or two nights, probably two for the nest cruise as it is 11 days, only because we enjoy it, and not because we are obliged. I have been on NCL and I have seen people dress casual and the next table over is formal, freestyle means you decide what you want to do, which is exactly the way we want it and what we are looking for and why we book on this line.
Old August 8th, 2007, 05:07 AM
Yeoman

I looked at "Mikes link" and as I understood it, one restaurant will still not allow jeans during dinner and that´s okej for me as long as it´s one of the main restaurants. I don´t think that it´s okej if for example Le Bistro is the only restaurant where jeans isn´t allowed.

Why does some people think it´s so hard to dress up at least a little? Is it really a problem to avoid shorts and jeans during dinner? Isn´t it a little nice to dress up a little for dinner after wearing shorts or jeans the whole day?
Old August 8th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Admiral

we are lucky as we like to leave from New York and there for we can drive it in seven hours and we do this versus taking airlines. This means we can bring what we want with no weight restrictions. The airlines have all dropped their baggage allowance, now it is just 20KG per passenger, so yes, for us formal nights if we took air would be out as we need to bring other things for an eleven day cruise, and formal clothes take to much room and weight . ( the shoes, the dresses, suits, purses, underclothes just for the formal dress, separate belts, all of that is weight, takes space and can only be used for that night) no longer can you put toiletries in an overnight bag, everything goes in the suitcase and therefore for us, it would be to hard. We went with Air Transat a few years ago and the restriction was 25 KG per person and it was a nightmare getting everything we needed, now if I was going by air to a cruise I would not bother with formal gear. That is for many a factor . I would never wear shorts to a dinning room and dont even here, I dont even go to macdonalds in short shorts ( capri's yes) but I have no problem with neat jeans and a nice top.
Old August 8th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Yeoman

I have no problem with neat jeans either as long as it is "neat" jeans.

I can also understand why people don´t want to carry too much luggage but airlines weight restrictions doesn´t have to be a problem. Maybe the low cost no service airlines are very restrict but main airlines is no problem. I looked at United and Americans websites and they both have 2*23 kg, =46 kg, as their limit+carry on!

I always fly British Airways from Europe to North America and they also have a 2*23 kg limit.
Old August 8th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Hey Folks: Jeans Now Allowed in NCL Dining Rooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
Well: The jeans question has finally been answered by NCL. Jeans will be allowed in all of their dining rooms. One dining room will remain formal but all others will stay casual.

Here is a link to their updated FAQ:

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cm...=FAQ#dresscode

Take care,
Mike
you know we all knew it would happen sooner or later. I really don't have a problem with jeans as long as they are in good condition, I just wonder who will determine good from bad condition. Now let's see how many other lines follow? On HAL last fall jeans were allowed the first and last night.

Again, I don't care as long as they are dressy. It beats wearing sweat pants, than is for certain.
Old August 8th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhag
I have no problem with neat jeans either as long as it is "neat" jeans.

I can also understand why people don´t want to carry too much luggage but airlines weight restrictions doesn´t have to be a problem. Maybe the low cost no service airlines are very restrict but main airlines is no problem. I looked at United and Americans websites and they both have 2*23 kg, =46 kg, as their limit+carry on!

I always fly British Airways from Europe to North America and they also have a 2*23 kg limit.
Yes for international flights this is so, but not for packages for the cruise. Also does not apply to most of the charters out there now either. My nest flight, is very clear, one 5 KG carry on bag, and you can have two suitcases, for a total weight of 20 kilo's BETWEEN the two.
Old August 9th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Admiral

Quote:

Why does some people think it´s so hard to dress up at least a little? Is it really a problem to avoid shorts and jeans during dinner? Isn´t it a little nice to dress up a little for dinner after wearing shorts or jeans the whole day?
I agree. What IS the problem Changing cloths for me is easy and quick especially on on cruise ship...shirt, trousers, coat, tie, shoes, socks, and account card. I thought gentlemen were expected to wear a tie to a formal affair . Part of the problem is that Western culture seems to no longer value the ways of the aristocracy/gentry/patricians. For some reason, we in the US now celebrate the plebeian subculture. Just look at the rubbish we watch on the TV. There is an effort to mainstream the plebeian ways. Is this effecting the cruise industry?

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old August 9th, 2007, 03:37 AM
Yeoman

Delfthuis, according to Uniteds and Americans websites the limit is 2*23 kg on DOMESTIC flights! Maybe it´s not correct but thats what their sites say!
Old August 9th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378

remember the days of having to rent (or since i own my own get it drycleaned) a tuxedo for your cruise ? i am only 35 so it was not too long ago
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old August 9th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Delfthuis, according to Uniteds and Americans websites the limit is 2*23 kg on DOMESTIC flights! Maybe it´s not correct but thats what their sites say!
I dont live in the united states, and frankly I avoid USA carriers like the plague. I fly frequesntly, I am aware of what they are for different airlines as well as differant packages. for example the next trip we are taking, the allowance is 5 KG for cabin luggage plus a purse, and 20 Kilos total maximum in up to two suitcases and 10$ for each kilo over the 20 alloud. When I went to Miami to go on Triumph, it was the same carry on allowance but 25 KG that could be in two suitcases. To Antigua now with the airline I take for there, it is one carry on of 10 KG and two suitcases no more than 23 KG each. That airline has much lower charges per kilo.
Old August 10th, 2007, 03:20 AM
Yeoman

I just said that weight restrictions doesn´t have to be a problem. They can be a problem if someone is flying with a specific airline but it´s possible to avoid.

I don´t really like american airlines either but I have only been on them on domestic flights so I don´t know how they are on international flights.
Old August 10th, 2007, 04:35 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Almost every U.S. domestic carrier has a weight restriction of 50 lbs. or 23 KG. per piece of checked baggage for coach passengers, with a maximum of two pieces. This is for flights within the U.S.

Carry on luggage cannot exceed a total of 45 linear inches and cannot be over 40 lbs or 18 KG.

A five (5) KG. or 11 lb. maximum for a carry on is extremely low and something I have never encountered on any major airline using, large, jet aircraft.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old August 10th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Admiral

You may not have it down in the states, but the two biggest cruise and sun vacation charter all inclusive in this country have them, this is the restrictions. and yes, it is frustratingly low, but it is the way it is. It is the trade off that I make , Air Canada is 23 Kilos now per bag x's 2 but it is air fare only and was reduced from 35 kg's this year. This is the restrictions from the last two all inclusives that I have taken that are also the most well known for where I live.

ECONOMY CLASS

Canada to and from South and the United States: 20 kg (44 lb.)
Canada to and from Belgium, France, Germany, Ireland, Spain, the Netherlands and Belfast: 23 kg (50 lb.)
Canada to and from the UK (except Belfast; Dublin and Shannon in the Republic of Ireland): 20 kg (44 lb.)
cruise passengers: 25 kg (55 lb.) if noted on ticket and for passengers who have booked air/cruise through our Tour Operator only)
Canada to and from Greece and Italy: 30 kg (66 lb.)
Canada to and from Haiti and Portugal: 50 kg (110 lb.)

and this is the restrictions for the flight I am taking next.

Boeing 767-300
31" seat Pitch with 2 x 3 x 2 seat configuration
Pre–Seat Selection available for extra charge
Extra Leg Room Seat available for extra charge [36" seat pitch]
Meal and light snack included
In-Flight Entertainment
20 kg baggage allowance
2 bags per person maximum

Boeing 757-200
32" seat Pitch with 3 x 3 seat configuration
Pre–Seat Selection available for extra charge
Extra Leg Room Seat available for extra charge [37" seat pitch]
Meal and light snack included
In-Flight Entertainment
20 kg baggage allowance
2 bags per person maximum

Any one who disbelieves this can PM me and I will send of copy of my travel documents which sit on my desk and has the baggage alowance clearly marked on it.

I believe I made fairly clear I was talking about weight restrictions for packages, not airfare only fares,
Old August 10th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Yeoman

I have looked at Air Transats site so I´m aware of their restrictions. Personally I should never go on a charter flight on my way to a cruise but people are different and I think that´s a good thing! How fun would it be if all people were the same?
Old August 10th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Delft:

OK: I see that this is a charter carrier. That makes things more clear. I was amazed at the, low 5 KG, carry on allowance. I think my wife's purse weighs more than that.

Charters do try to get as much as they can out of their weight/fuel ratio.

Actually, if someone can't do a seven day cruise on 80 lbs of luggage, between two people, they may have over packed.

One thing I did a long time ago was get rid of my older suitcases and purchase lighter weight luggage. The larger suitcases had an empty weight of 18 lbs.. That was almost 1/3 the allowable limit at that time.

Take care,
Mike

Old August 10th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Delft:

OK: I see that this is a charter carrier. That makes things more clear. I was amazed at the, low 5 KG, carry on allowance. I think my wife's purse weighs more than that.

Actually, if someone can't do a seven day cruise on 80 lbs of luggage, between two people, they may have over packed.

One thing I did a long time ago was get rid of my older suitcases and purchase lighter weight luggage. The larger suitcases had an empty weight of 18 lbs.. That was almost 1/3 the allowable limit at that time.

Take care,
Mike
Mike, isn't the weight going it is all the booze we now have to pack in our luggage coming back that is the problem.
Old August 10th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I have looked at Air Transats site so I´m aware of their restrictions. Personally I should never go on a charter flight on my way to a cruise but people are different and I think that´s a good thing! How fun would it be if all people were the same?
At least air transat has 10 KG for carry on ! Actually, we were very surprised, because they were very well organized and the transfers were great, and so was the price . My companion works for Air Canada, and I also travel alot with KLM, and I was surprised as how good the serrvice was considering it was a charter.........and they were really good about me having to take extra luggage ( which is still at no cost) which is all medical related. ( IV bags, bottles, and the other "stuff" needed while away) Go Travel is also very popular for us in Montreal and Ottawa, they have great packages........and the only real drawback in weight restrictions as they carry alot of cargo to get money in that way.
Old August 10th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Delft:

Take care,
Mike
Mike, I had gotten used to Air Transat's 10 kg carry bag, but almost had to take another cardizem when I saw the 5 KG carry on! I guess the good thing is since we cannot take any thing in bottles.hopefully it will be 5KG! At least I am still alloud a purse..........and I didnt read anything about my purse.........well, at least they still dont count medical things in the baggage allowance, so all the IV stuff, dressing sets, and "stuff" still dont get counted......if it did.........I wouldnt be bringing much more than underware and a swim suit!

And you are so right about suit cases. we have our suiter bag for all our formal things, and a couple of rollers which are the new light ones, DS and all the kids in their age group take sturdy nylon hockey bags that weigh nothing and can be really packed with clothes. so it all workes out OK! Course when I leave from New York, even if we get airline passes.......we drive from where I am , less hassle, no restrictions....and friends of ours who took the plane when we drove.....actually got on the ship after us by an hours time! Parking on the pier in NEW York is fantastic and for New York cheap. so all is good......
Old August 10th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth
Quote:

I agree. What IS the problem Changing cloths for me is easy and quick especially on on cruise ship...shirt, trousers, coat, tie, shoes, socks, and account card. I thought gentlemen were expected to wear a tie to a formal affair . Part of the problem is that Western culture seems to no longer value the ways of the aristocracy/gentry/patricians. For some reason, we in the US now celebrate the plebeian subculture. Just look at the rubbish we watch on the TV. There is an effort to mainstream the plebeian ways. Is this effecting the cruise industry?

It is not only a American way of life it is world wide, totally agree with your sentiments.
Old August 13th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Passenger

Hum... I just returned from a cruise on the NCL Star and saw gentlemen asked to leave both dining rooms on two different occasions because they were wearing jeans after 5:00. I'm not talking about the buffet, I'm talking about their two main dining rooms where you go if you want sit down waiter service, not the specialty ones where you pay either. Guess the folks who work on the Star didn't get the memo.