Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: Which Cabin Class do you think is worth YOUR money?
Balcony? 15 65.22%
Inside? But go on more cruises 5 21.74%
Suite/Penthouse? 2 8.70%
Steerage?Stowaway? 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 9th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378
Default Cabin Poll or To Balcony or Not to Balcony?

We have been discussing this so tell us which you would rather do get a more expensive balcony cabin or less expensive and go on more cruises inside cabin. Now I know you can get deals and some obstructed view and porthole etc cabins but we are saying a standard balcony cabin versus a standard inside cabin.
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Beginner

I think you have the right idea on the windows. If I can't have a balcony I would rather have the early morning darkness of an inside room. For me it is either inside or balcony with nothing inbetween.

We had a balcony on a Hawaiian cruise. It was great to sit out there and read with the sun and the breeze and the solitude. It is also good for a romantic evening with your sweetie. I am a cheapie, though, and would not pay an extra $500 per person for the balcony. For me, It would be worth maybe $200 pp, which probably won't happen unless you get "reacommadated" by the cruise line.

Cheers
Old August 9th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I made the critical mistake of booking a suite for my first cruise. That was a long time ago and I have been completely spoiled ever since. I have never sailed in anything other than a balcony.

Last year I sailed on a fourteen day, China cruise. Overall it was our second best. While the cruise, itinerary and ship (MS Statendam) were excellent; after four days I began to develop "Inside Cabin Insanity". My first impression was that this would be fantastic but as the days wore on I found myself figuring out ways I could cut the couch in half, in order to get it up the stairs and throw it overboard, so I could have more room. I wanted to rip the fake window curtains off the wall. Who the heck are they trying to kid. The TV was constantly on the bridge cam so I could see "something". The walls were closing in and after eight days I could swear that cabin went from 180 sq. ft. to 40. I had to get out of there as soon as I woke up just to get a breath of air. I have never had claustrophobia and I have spent a lot of time in small spaces. Silos, grain elevators, etc. but this just got to me. I spent no time in the cabin.

Even my wife who can sleep in a "roach motel" said that she does not want another inside. She'll try a window but that's it.

This is merely OUR preference and many other people will NEVER even feel this way.

Luckily, I was able to receive therapy. A seven day cruise with a balcony cabin and the insanity is nothing more than a bad dream.

Take care,
Mike (Who loves sitting on a ship's balcony)

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 9th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Admiral

I am not a fussy person at all with this regard. I have travelled top of the line, and lowest economy and makes no differance to me, I keep getting upgrades now, so that is fione, but I wont pay for them.
Old August 9th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfthuis
I am not a fussy person at all with this regard. I have travelled top of the line, and lowest economy and makes no differance to me, I keep getting upgrades now, so that is fione, but I wont pay for them.
wow, how do you manage to get upraded?

Nita
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Captain

While we certainly LOVE our balconies, whethr we book one or not just depends on the cost. There are some itineraries, like Alaska, where I think it really is worth the money, whereas the W. Carib. is not a necessity (just a really nice thing to have).

We are doing the the mediterranean next month in an inside because that's just where the money would take us on that one. But we have a balcony booked for Hawaii in April.

The one time I got Norwalk we were in an inside cabin and let me tell ya (Mike are you listening?) you ain't seen cabin fever til you've been quarantined for 72 hours in an inside. Once I was feeling better I would listen for the cabin steward to clean the balcony across the hall and just stand in the doorway staring out at the sea! The steward was always nice enough to leave it propped open for a long time.

I do think that if I can't have a balcony an outside is not worth the money over an inside.

Having said all of that, if push comes to shove, I'd rather sail more often in an inside than less often in a balcony.
Old August 9th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfthuis
I am not a fussy person at all with this regard. I have travelled top of the line, and lowest economy and makes no differance to me, I keep getting upgrades now, so that is fine, but I wont pay for them.
wow, how do you manage to get upraded?

Nita
Guess I am usually a nice enough person
Old August 10th, 2007, 02:30 AM
Yeoman

If I lived close to where the ships starts, for example New York or Miami, maybe I should consider to get a cheaper cabin and be able to cruise more, but since I have to spend at least $1000 before I even board the ship (airline fare+at least two hotelnights before the cruise to adjust for the timediffrence) it´s really worth to pay the extra money to get a cabin with balcony!
Old August 10th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Cabin Poll or To Balcony or Not to Balcony?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE11378
We have been discussing this so tell us which you would rather do get a more expensive balcony cabin or less expensive and go on more cruises inside cabin. Now I know you can get deals and some obstructed view and porthole etc cabins but we are saying a standard balcony cabin versus a standard inside cabin.
In my opinion it really depends on the person. Ask yourself what is most important to you. There is nothing wrong with either style of cruising.

Some spend a lot of time in their rooms, some don’t. For us it’s not worth it. We try to participate in EVERYTHING, we like to keep very active and only use he room as sleeping quarters, changing room, and shower facility. We meet lots of friends and spend time playing games we brought, sunning, drinking, and talking with the crew. Reading on deck and watching people is great fun too. Generally we are the first ones off in port and the last ones back on. We wake up early for walks and go to bed sometimes hours after the last show. The ship is dead after 2 A.M. and its like have 100’s of feet of private balcony. We have found that even when we get a "nice" room we hardly spend any time in it. We have splurged for suites a couple times and we almost had to force ourselves to spend time in them. We do like a room with a window though. It’s nice for us to have natural sunlight and it lets us know when morning has arrived. Even that is optional depending on price difference. We would rather go on 4 cruises in an inside cabin than 1 in a suite.

On the other hand I know people (my dad) who enjoy lots of naps, watch tv, and do a lot of reading (and prefer privacy), or who aren’t big into the social scene. One of the things that I was amazed about when I first started cruising was how empty the ship seemed at certain times of the day. So obviously many people do spend time in the rooms. For these it might be worth it. Also people of larger size may like the bigger rooms.
Old August 15th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378

another reason i am less likely to get an inside cabin is the greek cruise ship that sunk. the french family that lost the daughter and the father were in an inside cabin when the water rushed in and they had no escape. i knw the odds of swimming and living etc are extreme but i figure any way i can add to my odds i am going to. as they say "I don't worry about the bullet with my name on it I worry about the one that says TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN"!
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America