Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 10th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Passenger

Default Price Drops Not Honored

Just checking to see how everyone feels about NCL and all their hoops now. They have tremendously dropped prices on cruises and will not give upgrades or refunds to anyone that has one booked before final payment. They are making all sorts of rules now, so it's virtually impossible. Many people have cruises booked with them and their prices have dropped over $300 or more and NCL will do nothing for their clients.
Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Admiral

can you give a concrete example? That is not being sarcastic, I sincerely want to know. Thanks.
Old August 10th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Passenger

Sure. The guarantee category we booked in went down about $330 in price. The non guarantee categories where you could choose your cabin were still less expensive than the price we paid for a guarantee. NCL would not let us upgrade and choose our room let alone stay where we are and refund the difference in price. All of this before final payment is in. They also told us if we cancelled and rebooked they'd catch us and bill us for the original amount. My TA told me that there are so many irrate passangers over this issue that it's not even funny.
Old August 10th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Admiral

That is really odd, since I was always under the opinion - impression I can cancel any time prior to making final payment. I dont understand how you cannot cancel and re book, they cannot force a person to pay more. I would look into it further, call NCL etc. I sure would not put up with that..........
Old August 10th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Beginner

Was the price decrease part of this new promotion with the upgrades they are running right now? All the major cruiselines have deals or promotions that are not price decreases but a sale/promotion that is for new bookings only. They all have wording to the effect that they are for new bookings only. That is the promotion that NCL is running now.

I am of the mindset that I agreed upon a price with NCL when I booked my cruise. I am happy with that price or I would not have booked it. If the price drops I will ask for an OBC or an upgrade - but I will not be disappointed if I do not get it because I contracted for the higher price. If I get the OBC or the upgrade then bonus to me for trying. I know that because of economics- not everyone in my category will have paid the same as me. Some will have paid more and some less. We choose the time book. We agree upon a price at that time. We take the risk that the price may drop and the cruiseline takes the risk that the price may rise depending on supply and demand. Economics is a gamble. I've been on three cruises where the price rose $800 -$1000+ from the time I booked. I book early for that reason. I am willing to take that risk that the price may go down. On my one cruise where the price did go down I had my TA try to get me an upgrade - which he did. Bonus for me. I was not expecting him to be able to get it since it was past final payment but I wanted him to at least try.

I just feel that we enter a contract with cruiseline when we booked our price. The cruiseline doesn't come back on us when the price goes up and demand we pay the more because they agreed to sell to us at certain price. Why should we have a right to demand that they do the same when the price goes down? I believe we could and should ask for an OBC or upgrade when the price drops. However if the price drop is due to a promotion which specifically states for new bookings only or if we asking after the final payment date, I don't expect to receive anything. Bonus if I do.
Old August 10th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Admiral

I have to agree with Warm Breezes.

We have never booked then seen a price lower that did not state "NEW BOOKINGS ONLY".

And I have to say that for our upcomimg NCL cruise and cruises in the past with other lines we have always managed to get very good prices and only once actually saw a price lower and it had the NEW Only so we did not feel bad.

Caribbean Trip Reports
Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014, MSC Divina Oct 2014
Old August 10th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Admiral

For us, we have always seen the prices only go up for our sailings but we tend to also always sail during peak times ( spring break, Christmas break- leaving after Christmas back before school strarts again - etc) so booking for us has only ever been a good thing. I do keep watch and the prices often go up and up and then slide back down again, but never to the price or lower than I booked at.
Old August 10th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I have not canceled and rebooked with NCL but I have with Celebrity and Princess because of a SIGNIFICANT price drop on the same cabin category.

Both of these were before final payment. In one instance I lost my cabin and had to go with a guarantee but there was no problem. I did have to wait a couple of months until my "initial" deposit was refunded (credited back to my credit card) and in the interim I had to place another deposit on the new bookings.

I know that if the price drops once you have made final payment you are basically out of luck because the cancellation penalty will offset almost any savings.

It could well be that NCL has become quite hard-core in their pricing and this may lead more people to make NCL "The Last Minute Choice" in cruising. I don't know if I would want to run my company that way.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 10th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
I don't know if I would want to run my company that way.
Mike.. I'd avoided NCL for until 2005 because of less than glowing reports on their early ships. Once they began building ships specifically for "Freestyle" I become more interested... and finally jumped in with POH, then Dawn, then Jewel.

Loved them, the "freestyle" program and process.

Now, suddenly they seem to make a rash of policy changes that are, at least in my view, out of left field.... and kind of driving me back to keeping my distance from them.

Normally the cruise lines offer "early booking discounts" , but it seems with at least somewhat savy cruisers, that NCL is going to force their customers to wait until late to book.
Personally, I'd look to other lines who will guarantee their pricing until final payment date... if they are doing similar itins. Then before making final payment check out NCL's pricing.
Old August 10th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Admiral

I will have to keep my eye on this, as to date with NCL with 2 NCL cruises and the one we are going on next, we got a very good price booking early, then prices went sharply up and like now they are lower, BUT far higher than what I booked for in Jan 07. But I will keep a close eye ( Dutch blood, we dont easily waste money) . I know for alot of people the smoking changes were upsetting with no warning, and I DONT AGREE WITH THAT, but they were not alone to do it this way.....and I guess they followed the lead because others have done it? For me, it is still the one to go on, in that it is something for every one, and we have a good itin leaving from New York, We almost did RCI from New York, but didnt much like the itin, and it was shorter and less sea days. NCL is port intensive. HAL and Celebrity is out for us, DS and his GF would jump over board, and it is to sedate for me as well, Carnival, well , carnival is carnival......that does not mean bad, great memmories, but not a first choice. We have not been on princess, and we did consider it now that they have freestyle dinning ( apparently) but we didnt find something we liked at the time we wanted to go. I see also they are going to allow neat jeans, on NCL which is fine with me, HAL did that also , actually I am quite surprised as to me HAL has done the most in terms of radical changes, they did the smoking thing......and they having older pax have a higher number of smokers on board, they did the jean thing a year ago.......it makes me wonder if they are trying to appeal to the younger market? I have friends taking HAL out of Amsterdam on the 19th, I think that is the day, they are going in a group of 18, all 45-62 yrs of age. The itin is wonderful!
Old August 13th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Passenger

This is one of the reasons why I rarely book cruise lines other than Celebrity or Royal caribbean, they will refund credit card for a price drop even if it's the day before sailing, unless it is a Happy Hour special. We just had another drop for our cruise next month with a senior special and saved 750.00 for our 2 cabins. We had already paid final payments of course.
Old August 14th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasail
This is one of the reasons why I rarely book cruise lines other than Celebrity or Royal caribbean, they will refund credit card for a price drop even if it's the day before sailing, unless it is a Happy Hour special. We just had another drop for our cruise next month with a senior special and saved 750.00 for our 2 cabins. We had already paid final payments of course.
You are correct about only "Happy Hour" specials or similar, but the OP may have been facing a similar situation. I have had NCL adjust prices any number of times. Of course if it is a promo, no, you can't.

BTW, I have run into situations where Celebrity has given me a rough time even though they may have adjusted the price.

Nita
Old August 14th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'm assuming, with the timing of the posts of this complaint and the ones on other message boards, that the problems are being driven by the latest "pity the procrastinator" promotion.

If you click on the terms of that promotion, here's what you'll see:

Promotion Code: PGSQ3. Booking window: 7/16/07 - 9/30/07.

Book the best available accommodation within category (i.e. Inside to Inside, Oceanview to Oceanview, Balcony to Balcony - not applicable to all categories); on a first come, first served basis. Special pricing for select NCL and NCL America sailings and categories from 10/1/07 - 3/30/08. Promotion is for new FIT and Group bookings, booked within the booking window. Promotion cannot be held as a group block. Rates are subject to category availability. Government taxes and fees are additional. Singles paying 200% of the rate are eligible. Available on GDS booking source. This offer is NOT combinable with any other promotions. On-board service charges are additional and will be automatically added to your on-board account. Offer is capacity controlled, subject to availability and may be withdrawn at any time and without notice. Cancellations and rebooking do not qualify; bookings will be re-priced to original fare. Every effort has been made to produce this information accurately; we reserve the right to correct errors. (c)2007 NCL Corporation, Ltd. Ships' Registry: Bahamas & United States of America

The terms of the offer are clearly stated -- and no, price adjustments won't apply in this case. Presumably you were satisfied with the pricing you got at the time you booked, or you wouldn't have made the reservation. I can't even begin to count the other times that I've bought something -- either airfare, or a toaster, or anything else, and the price later dropped, and I wasn't able to get the discounted price. Why should cruise pricing be any different?

I think Warm Breezes stated it very well. If you choose to book your cruise a long ways out, you may do nothing but see the pricing go up -- that's whats happened to us the last 2 times we've sailed. On the other hand, it might go down. I have had NCL adjust my category to make up for a difference in pricing 3 weeks from sailing -- and I'm talking about the switch from an inside to a balcony. However, if it's due to a specific promotion and I booked before that promotion, I wouldn't expect an adjustment.
Old August 14th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Admiral

I do have one more thing to add and others have said it before: we book our cabins and are satisfied with the price and yet, we keep checking to see if there is a better price out there. all this does is cause us worry. If we are happy with the original price and can't get a cruise line to adjust downward for whatever reason forget it.

Don't get me wrong, I want a good price as well and certainly don't have money to throw away but also, I realize, there will always be someone out there who got a better price than me. For my clients, I keep my eyes open and do everything I can to get them a good price, for myself I watch but I don't fret over what I can't change.

Nita
Old August 14th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Uhhhhhhhhhhh Can someone tell me please, is there no smoking on the NCL Dawn???
Celebrity Zenith 2002
Carnival Victory 2007
NCL Dawn 2007
Carnival Miracle 2008
NCL Spirit 2008
Carnival Miracle 2008
Old August 14th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Admiral

there is but what does that have to do with price adjustments? Just curious.

Nita
Old August 17th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Beginner

We booked the Gem for 7/08 on the day the prices were posted. They have dropped three times and each time the new price was honored (without arguments). Our price dropped for our BA aft from $2,400 to $1,549 per person - a savings of more than $800 per person. I never look at the promotions, as they are usually new bookings. Every time I see the prices drop (without promotion) I call. So far, so good.
Old August 17th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljrfrm
We booked the Gem for 7/08 on the day the prices were posted. They have dropped three times and each time the new price was honored (without arguments). Our price dropped for our BA aft from $2,400 to $1,549 per person - a savings of more than $800 per person. I never look at the promotions, as they are usually new bookings. Every time I see the prices drop (without promotion) I call. So far, so good.
You are completely right. Price drops, not a promo and the rate will be honored. this is true on all lines.

nita