Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 15th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Passenger

Default NCL Pearl - Formal Night Attire - Is red carpet style okay?

Hello.

We are booked to cruise on the NCL Pearl Western Carribean for Oct 14-19th. It is 4 couples in all and none of us have ever cruised before. We are excited about the "Freestyle Cruising" but a little concerned with the formal night. We would like to do "red carpet" attire but we are concerned that we will be over dressed. Can someone please give us some suggestions, so we know what to pack? Also, when is the formal night typically held on a 5 day excursion with ports on T & W? I read somewhere, typically on a day at sea. Our days at sea are the day after we board (M) and the last day (TH)... To have it on these days, seem nuts in my opinion... Any help would be great!!!
Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378

i wear my tux for formal night and around 20-30 percent of the guests onboard will do so also
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old August 15th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Passenger

Thanks. Its great to know the guys won't feel like odd balls. We were just a little concerned with the "Freestyle Cruising" concept. 8)
Old August 16th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Admiral

freestyle means freestyle. It means you decide. A five day cruise, I think there will be one formal night officially, how ever you can choose to dress up every night if that is what you like. We dressed up last year on a night that was not formal, they did our pictures, and we were celebrating a special occasion.
Old August 16th, 2007, 02:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

When we sailed on the Jewel last November, I was quite surprised at the number of people who were dressing up -- and not only on formal night. Our previous cruises had all been out of Houston or Alaska, and they definitely attracted a less-formal crowd.

I think you'll be fine. You'll be in the minority, but there should be enough others dressing up that you won't feel out of place.
Old August 20th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Beginner

Do you have to dress formal on formal nights ..... or with the "Freestyle", are you free to not have to dress up? We will be cruising on the Star in November, and one of the reasons we decided to try Norwegian is for the Freestyle cruising. My husband will probably still bring his suit just in case, but I know he is really hoping that he won't have to wear it!
Old August 20th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Admiral

no you dont have to wear a suit..........but you can if you want to,
Old August 28th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to danielkelley
Default Freestyle cruising

Frestyle Cruising includes the freedom to 'whatever', and that includes dressing up on formal night. If you don't want to dress, the buffet and alternate restaurants are always available. You can't overdress, and you can't underdress. It only affects where you dine. Formal is usually the 2nd night, typically a sea day.
Bon Voyage
Old September 27th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Beginner

OK I am going to ask this dreaded question again. We are planning a May 2008 Alaska cruise on the Pearl. We really do not want to dress up. We like the idea of freestyle and I thought formal was not required. Help? Honestly we want to pack light and I do not want to bring a dress and shoes just for 1 night. How many people skip the formal part of it? Which restraunt should we avoid should we decide not to dress up?

Thx
Old September 27th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Passenger

I originally set up this posting because I wanted to make sure we (group of 8) blended well whether we dressed up or not at all. It appears from the many posting I have read that NCL observes a very casual cruising environment and there is the OPTION to get all glammed up.

People like myself, who love to get glammed up was concerned because I know NCL has the laid back approach and I wanted to make sure my glammed up was toned down if need be....which it appears as though. In the end....I settled for an in between look for the formal night .... not too presidential ball/red carpet....but not so casual that I feel like I am just going to eat at a restaurant in the neighborhood. Point blank - a cocktail dress.

Apparently the formal dinner is designated while you're on the cruise so there is no way to know in advance and as far as skipping certain restaurants ... it sounds like they won't let you in if you are too casual. They don't want the casualness ruining it for the people who want to get glammed up and mingle amonst each other.

You should be fine. Enjoy your cruise.
Old September 30th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Admiral

On our Pearl cruise we never had dinner in the main restaurant. We only had breakfast in there.
We dressed in slacks and smart tops and never felt under dressed.

nocgirl, we enjoyed dinner at all of the specialty restaurants and my wife did not wear a dress.
Old October 1st, 2007, 09:56 AM
Captain

Default Re: Freestyle cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielkelley
Frestyle Cruising includes the freedom to 'whatever', and that includes dressing up on formal night. If you don't want to dress, the buffet and alternate restaurants are always available. You can't overdress, and you can't underdress. It only affects where you dine. Formal is usually the 2nd night, typically a sea day.
Bon Voyage
If you don't want to dress up in fact every restaurant is available to you. There is no formal designated restaurant. You will have a mix in every resturant.

Keep in mind a 5 day cruise tends to attrack a younger more casual crowd.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old October 1st, 2007, 03:29 PM
Beginner

It's FREESTYLE - YOU get to decide if you want to dress up or not. The 'dress up' night was the 2nd night on my Sep cruise to Alaska on the Pearl. I went to the Summer Palace for dinner that night, which is probably the dressiest of dining areas. I went in Old Navy T-shirt and khaki's. The dressiest female was there in a black strapless long evening gown and gloves up to her elbows. And everything else in between. Nobody cares - it's YOUR cruise, do what you want.

If you don't like to dress up and are a bit shy about it, you may want to pick another place to eat on dress up night other than the more formal Summer Palace. Mambo's (tex-mex) is a good choice. But I saw people dressed up there too. So really, it doesn't matter where you eat and what clothes you eat in. Just do what you want and have a BLAST. That's the whole point!!