Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 6th, 2007, 03:31 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to HGeffen
Default What would you do?

Today marks the 6 month anniversary of my first cruise ever . I would say that I am beginning to experience withdrawls, but that would be lying. I have been going through withdrawls since my fiance and I walked off the ship. We have another cruise booked, but it isn't for another 14 months and 3 weeks. I am kind of HOPING we can go on the Spirit in March. It all depends on how much I can save between now and then. I have no experience with Norwegian, and no experience with NOLA so I have some questions.

1. If you have been on this ship, did you like it?
2. What kind of activities does NCL offer & How is it different from RCI?
3. How does the open dining work? Are their several restaurants to choose from?
4. How is the port in New Orleans? I have heard of people having their cars broken into while they were away. I realize this can happen anywhere, but is it more likely in NOLA?
5. What is the age policy? We will be 20 and 22

THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2007, 05:28 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: What would you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGeffen
4. How is the port in New Orleans? I have heard of people having their cars broken into while they were away. I realize this can happen anywhere, but is it more likely in NOLA?
1. I love NOLA, and I hear the French Quarter is doing fine.

2. NCL is a fun, lively ship, similar to RCI. Lots of activities.

3. Depends on which ship you are on, but yes there will probaly be several restaurants. If you are on a budget the regular dining room is fine, but if you can afford I suggest the extra dining rooms. The only one I didn't like personally was the Asian one.

4. Sounds likely - don't leave anything valuable showing!

5. Company policy dictates that a passenger under 21 years of age must be accompanied in the same or connecting stateroom by a passenger 21 years or older who expressly agrees to be responsible for the under 21 passenger throughout the cruise. This includes, but is not limited to, preventing under-age purchase or consumption of alcohol**, preventing under-age gaming activities and preventing violations of any ship's rules. Passengers must be age 21 to purchase or consume alcohol and age 18 to gamble on the ship. If the accompanying adult is not the minor's parent or legal guardian, a PARENTAL/ GUARDIAN CONSENT LETTER that authorizes the minor's travel and further authorizes medical treatment in case of an emergency must be delivered to an NCL representative at the pier. Failure to produce this letter at embarkation may result in boarding being denied, with no refund of cruise fare provided.
Old September 6th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Admiral

I really love the Spirit. She is beautiful and very unique in design and decor. Make sure you check out the dragon and the bridge viewing area.

2. What kind of activities does NCL offer & How is it different from RCI? One of the things that impressed me on our last cruise out of NOLA on the Sun was the quality of the performers. We really enjoyed the shows. I think that you will also find the food to be superior to RCI. I also love the kid's facilities. Even if you don't have kids, I think it's cool to see the thought they put into it.

3. How does the open dining work? Are their several restaurants to choose from? The Spirit has numerous restaurants several do have a surcharge, but in my opinion were worth it. I highly recommend Teppanyaki, Le Bistro and Shogun

4. How is the port in New Orleans? I have heard of people having their cars broken into while they were away. I realize this can happen anywhere, but is it more likely in NOLA? If this is a concern I would spend a night at the Marriott Convention Center and take advantage of their "Cruise Special" which includes the parking while you are on your cruise. Their parking is all valet and it is underground and secure. We liked the hotel and the parking set-up.

Paul posted the age policy and that pretty much said it all.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old September 11th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378

the Spirit is a fun ship and has a very nice decorating scheme thanks to its Asian birth.
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old September 11th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Beginner

I was recently in NOLA on the Carnival Fantasy, but also cruised on the NCL Spirit last December, so I hope that I can help with your questions.

We got a great price on the Spirit, so of course, I liked it. My most recent cruise before was on HAL Maasdam, so obviously it was a bit of a downgrade for me, but you get what you pay for. The ship could have been cleaner. I had heard complaints about the food, but I think that there was only one dish the entire 10 day cruise that I didn't like and it wasn't like I would starve if I didn't eat it. Considering that I boarded with no expectations for quality food, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality and variety of food and the service in the Garden Room impress us. We requested a table with a particular server who was very efficient. We found the service in Windows to be rather slow any time of the day. I recall that lunch often took more than an hour. We are not buffet people so only used that option for a dish of ice cream and when we boarded.

There were plenty of activities everyday. I don't think that they were much different from any other mainstream cruise line.

There are a few restaurants that require reservations, but don't have a fee. There are also some that require reservations and have a fee. We never went to them. You can use Windows and Garden and go there anytime. You can also make a reservation in either.

We were bussed to the port, which is right next to the convention center. Since we flew, I can't say anything about the safety of parking at the port. It is true that NOLA does have some crime issues.

This has already been addressed.

We had a great time and hope that you will, too.

macruise