Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 26th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Beginner

Default Renting a car at Hawaiian Ports

Hello,

We are cruising on Price of Hawaii in about 3 weeks. We are interested in renting a car at the different ports so that we can enjoy the islands on our own while in port.

Can anyone tell me the best way to reserve a rental car? I noticed that NCL has car rental for $39.00 but I am assuming that is per person?? I thought we might be able to do it cheaper by going through the car rental companies themselves.

Can anyone give me some insight on how we would obtain our rental car when at port and any other information you can provide.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

Rent your car online. We used Alamo our last cruise there and had no problems. We are trying Thrifty on our December cruise because they were a little cheaper. They both have shuttles that will pick you up at the dock and bring you back. All the major rent-car companies provide this shuttle service, I believe.
Old September 28th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Passenger

When we were there we used Thrifty. Alamo had very long lines. (Could have been special they were offering) Good luck
Old September 28th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Passenger

We have done your cruise twice and it was wonderful. You are doing the best possible thing to experiance all of what Hawaii has to offer. My advice is the same as everyone else, but we rented from Alamo and Dollar the first trip, and deciced to go with Hertz the last trip. Reason being that Alamo and Dollar took so long to get to the terminals, and by the time they got thier, there was so many people waiting you could not all fit on the shuttle. But we noticed that Hertz sent a larger bus and much for frequently. You pay a liitle more but at least you don't waste your day waiting for a car. Have a great time![/b]
Old September 28th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Renting a car at Hawaiian Ports

Rental at Kahului, Maui (off airport), subcompact, about $43 (with them filling gas) in August on my 26 hour San Antonio to Maui day trip.

Sights - Maui Ocean Center, Lahaina, Atlantis submarine, Sugar can train.

Trinkets - Hawaiian Pineapple Macadamia nut candies, taro potato chips, T-shirts.

Photo Op - Photographer vendor near the Pioneer Inn with his parrots, including a Monty Python Norwegian Blue who pines for the fjords right on cue.

Flew in, but the port is not far from the airport. Might google/yahoo the logistics from the port to the rental locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandm13
Hello,

We are cruising on Price of Hawaii in about 3 weeks. We are interested in renting a car at the different ports so that we can enjoy the islands on our own while in port.

Can anyone tell me the best way to reserve a rental car? I noticed that NCL has car rental for $39.00 but I am assuming that is per person?? I thought we might be able to do it cheaper by going through the car rental companies themselves.

Can anyone give me some insight on how we would obtain our rental car when at port and any other information you can provide.

Thank you!
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old September 29th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Passenger

We rented cars in every port last year.

We used Thrifty. The best thing you can do is go to their website and become a "Blue Chip" member. You aviod all lines and they treat you lke gold!

Scoutdad
Old October 1st, 2007, 03:50 PM
Beginner

Thank you everyone for the replies, you've been very helpful and I believe we are going to rent the cars at our ports.

Thanks for the tips as well!

Mel
Old October 12th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Sterling Silver

We also rented cars at every port on our March cruise to Hawaii. Great idea. Of course you run the risk of being delayed getting back to your ship because of a traffic jam, accident, etc. Maui was especially crowded on their two lane roads. One word of caution when renting in Kona. The airport is quite a distance from the port and not all the companies provide a shuttle, so you need to take a $20 cab ride to the airport. I'm sorry, I forgot which do and which do not provide shuttles, but a quick call should clear that up.
Old October 13th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Passenger

I know this is a bit off your original question, but it may help. Unless you have an idea already of how you want to make your way around the islands, try this:

http://www.tourtalkhawaii.com/

I was sent over there for a month on business and found the CDs to be great. I borrowed mine from a co-worker who had gone previously, but I believe you can rent them from some car rental agencies if you don't want to buy direct.

Also, the bathrooms around the island were very clean, but had no soap - you may want to pack a travel size with you.

And don't leave *ANYTHING* in the car, especially food. What the thieves don't get, the roaches will.