Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 30th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Passenger

Default food on NCL

hello,i am new to NCL and have booked a cruise on the JADE in April.
Now i did read a lot of bad reviews about the food on NCL. Is it really that bad?Can i compare it with the COSTA or with MSC?I don't expect HAL quality but i like to have nice dinners because for me,that is big part of my cruise.Thanks in advance for your responce!
Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Admiral

I've just cruised with NCL in mid-September aboard Pearl. I think the food was really very good. I'm a huge Royal Caribbean fan, but I believe the food was noticeably better on NCL.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old September 30th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Admiral

The food in the restaurants is pretty good but not spectacular.

The buffet is only so-so with the exception of the made-to-order omelottes in the morning and pasta dishes in the evening. Those are fantastic.
Old October 1st, 2007, 01:48 PM
Passenger

thanks for your responses.I think I'll gone give it a try.
If i don't try,i will never know!
My last cruise was with celebrity and i wasn't impressed.
A couple of years ago i was on a old 2 stars ship,and the food was simple but terrific, so you will never be sure.
Old October 1st, 2007, 04:32 PM
Admiral

We had no real problems with food on NCL. Did I like everything , no I didnt, but I dont on land either and I am a picky eater and I was always fine on NCL. DS, well lets say all the eateries got to know him by the second day, I think we take him on the cruise as on land, this kid bankrupts us with all he requires in a day, and he never has complaints with food. Have a great time.
Old October 1st, 2007, 05:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I have found that the food on NCL is equal or better than most mainstream cruise lines. What sets it apart, at least for me, is the specialty restaurants. The food selection and quality is better and you will find dishes that you won't find in the main dining rooms of any mainstream or premium cruise line.

My suggestion is budget $100 and take advantage of two or three of the alternative dining venues and you will definitely come away with a very positive outlook on NCL's food.

BTW: Their regular restaurants aren't bad either. I loved the Fish and Chips in the Blue Lagoon on Norwegian Star. The staff and I were on a first name basis.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 1st, 2007, 07:52 PM
Admiral

I will add that the prime rib in Cagney's is the best I have ever had.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 08:50 AM
Beginner

Having just finished 10 days on Pride of Aloha, I would say the food was mediocre at best and bad at worst with little variety or imagination. Lots was said onboard about the problems NCLA was having with the 10 day format. NCL has been crusing for many years and expanding from 7 to 10 days should not cause the kind of disorganization seen among the dining room staff and the kitchen. To make the most of it, I suggest, whenever you dine, ask for a shared table. At least you will get to meet your fellow passengers. Left to their own devises, the host/hostess will seat you alone; you can eat that way at home.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 11:40 AM
Yeoman

NCL has been cruising for many years, NCLA hasn´t.

I can´t respond to any bad things written about NCLA since I haven´t cruised with them but I have been on longer, over 10 nights, cruises with NCL and I haven´t seen much disorganization.

It´s a good idea to ask for a shared table if that´s what you want. When I go to a restaurant at home I never ask for a shared table and I see no reason to do it on a cruise but that´s just my opinion.
Old October 6th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Admiral

I have not had trouble with food, none of us have. If I dont like something, I ask for something else. I am not shy to do that, when I ordered something with shrimp and I could not find many, I just asked for some more and got a large bowl of them.
Old October 8th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Admiral

On our March cruise on the Sun, we found the food to be pretty good. We live in the midwest and live within 5 miles of one of the best steakhouse around and we know good beef. That being said, I was very impressed by the quality of the meat that was served on the ship, and found it to be very good. It was truly well cut, aged prime beef that was prepared very well. The also have some of the most healthful menu choices I have seen at sea (not counting the fish & chips lol)

Read and post cruise reviews
Old October 8th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron43
Having just finished 10 days on Pride of Aloha, I would say the food was mediocre at best and bad at worst with little variety or imagination. Lots was said onboard about the problems NCLA was having with the 10 day format. NCL has been crusing for many years and expanding from 7 to 10 days should not cause the kind of disorganization seen among the dining room staff and the kitchen. To make the most of it, I suggest, whenever you dine, ask for a shared table. At least you will get to meet your fellow passengers. Left to their own devises, the host/hostess will seat you alone; you can eat that way at home.
NCL and NCLA are not the same. I think we have been through this over and over.

Nita
Old October 8th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Admiral

Just got off the Star: I can't say we had a bad meal, either main dining or specialty dining rooms. Some were better than others, the main dining rooms were not OUTSTANDING but certainly up to par with other lines. Actually I feel the buffet has improced 50% or more in the past year or so. If I had a complaint it was the emtree servinigs are very small, but then, again, after eating 3 or 4 courses who needs a large entree and you can always ask for doubles.

Nita
Old October 13th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Admiral

Some times I like the entre so much I do ask for double, and then I skip on something else.........especially if shrimp is involved. Cant say as I ever had a bad meal, I had once something that every one else loved but I didnt, so I apologized and said I didnt think I could stomach it, and they gave me something else a little more easy for my stomach, and one time my shrimp and something had very little shrimp, so I politely asked for a few more shrimpies and got a huge bowl of them............. it was sure mighty good.
Old October 13th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Passenger

Default That's amazing

I have taken two cruises on NCL and am booked for another. I LOVE their food! And I am a foodie. Lamb chops that melt in your mouth, french onion soup to die for, yada yada yada.
You might want to look at the reviews on Cruise Critic to see what you're missing. I monitor both sites to get the yin and yan of things...
Not to worry...you'll be fine.
Bon Voyage!
D Ann
Old October 14th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to LITTLESTAR Send a message via Yahoo to LITTLESTAR

I was on the Star with Nita and we had a group of 8 and the only thing we moaned about was the lobster slippers they served which were a little on the hard side. We ate in the Versailles most times and the food was very good, even better than on the Jewel last year. What i was told was that it all depends on the chef.
Ate at Cagneys the first nite and had a great meal. On another nite we ate at Ginza and it was worth every bit of the $10 surcharge.

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Old October 14th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLESTAR
I was on the Star with Nita and we had a group of 8 and the only thing we moaned about was the lobster slippers they served which were a little on the hard side. We ate in the Versailles most times and the food was very good, even better than on the Jewel last year. What i was told was that it all depends on the chef.
Ate at Cagneys the first nite and had a great meal. On another nite we ate at Ginza and it was worth every bit of the $10 surcharge.
Hi Stan, welcome back. Have you written a review yet? I plan to tomorrow, this past week was very busy. How did you like disembarkation?

Nita
Old October 15th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to LITTLESTAR Send a message via Yahoo to LITTLESTAR

HI NITA
My BIL Jack wrote a review under the name DOCTORTEE on the other board. I figured mine would be basically the same. Debarkation was a mess. They were behind maybe an hour and then they make you snake around the Aqua and in the port it was a pain to find tyour bags.
It was nice to meet you and I have a question for you that I forgot to ask on board. Are you a TA for yourself or work for a company?
Till the next time.

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Old October 15th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLESTAR
HI NITA
My BIL Jack wrote a review under the name DOCTORTEE on the other board. I figured mine would be basically the same. Debarkation was a mess. They were behind maybe an hour and then they make you snake around the Aqua and in the port it was a pain to find tyour bags.
It was nice to meet you and I have a question for you that I forgot to ask on board. Are you a TA for yourself or work for a company?
Till the next time.
Stan,

I read his review; it was short but very informative. I too wrote one for the same website but it hasn't been published yet; maybe tomorrow. I think it was Tues or Wed when I completed it, not sure.

AS for disembarkation apparently it was the first time NCL had used the new terminal; let's see how the new reports come in.

I work for the number one cruise agency in the nation: we are all home based, very well trained and have a great support system. My managers actually are located in San Francisco and our headquarters are in Ft Lauderdale.

Hope you enjoy your next cruise as much as you did the last.

Nita
Old October 16th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to JCAS5599

HI- i WAS ON THE NCL DAWN IN APRIL OUT OF NYC. THE FIRST DAY I WAS SITTING THERE IN THE CAFE/RESTAURANT EATING PRIME RIB!!!!!
IT WAS TO DIE FOR!!!!!!
BUT AFTER THAT, IT WASN'T THAT GREAT. SALAD, HAMBURGERS, HOT DOGS, ICE CREAM. I AM NOT INTO HEALTHY FOOD SO I SKIPPED OUT ON THE VEGETABLES ETC.

OVERALL, WOULD I DO IT AGAIN? YES.

MY FAVORITE? BEFORE EACH BUFFET LINE, THEY HAD THE HAND SANITIZERS. MOST PEOPLE AUTOMATICALLY USED THEM, SOME DIDN'T. THERE WAS A PERSON AT THE START OF THE LINE THAT WOULDN'T GIVE YOU A TRAY OR SILVERWARE UNTIL YOU USED THE SANITIZER!!!!!

SODA CARD? NOT WORTH IT IF YOUR NOT A HUGE SODA DRINKER.... I FIGURED MINE OUT AND I DRANK ABOUT 10 CANS ALL WEEK. WASN'T WORTH IT FOR ME.
Old October 16th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Admiral

JCAS5599,
Hit Caps Lock, buddy.
Old January 5th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Passenger

url=http://www.cruiseclocks.com/][/url]
Free Cruise Clocks
Old January 5th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Passenger

srry messed up how is the food on the norwegian star??
url=http://www.cruiseclocks.com/][/url]
Free Cruise Clocks
Old January 14th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Beginner

Just came back from the Sun. We were very disappointed with the food, especially the service. The food was just OK, nothing great, disappoined with the selection. We were expecting loster and crab leg nights like on Royal and Princess, however the most extensive seafood was shimp. The food in the specialty restaurants which u pay more for is a bit better than the main dining rooms, but nothing wow-worthy. I think ultimately we were disappointed with the service, only in the specialty restaurants were the waitstaff friendly and personable, in the main dining rooms our server only cared about our order and was never willing to accomidate requests or substitutions.

This was our only gripe with NCL, everything else was great including entertainment and ports of call. Especially Shirley on the Cruise Director's Staff!
Old January 14th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrenon
Just came back from the Sun. We were very disappointed with the food, especially the service. The food was just OK, nothing great, disappoined with the selection. We were expecting loster and crab leg nights like on Royal and Princess, however the most extensive seafood was shimp. The food in the specialty restaurants which u pay more for is a bit better than the main dining rooms, but nothing wow-worthy. I think ultimately we were disappointed with the service, only in the specialty restaurants were the waitstaff friendly and personable, in the main dining rooms our server only cared about our order and was never willing to accomidate requests or substitutions.

This was our only gripe with NCL, everything else was great including entertainment and ports of call. Especially Shirley on the Cruise Director's Staff!
kasey, just to let you know, it appears from the RCI boards Lobster isn't offered anymore. I think they have gone to the same as NCL, the seafood platter. I don't ever remember them having Crab Legs, but I could be wrong on that one. I am also totally amazed about your comments about friendliness. 20 plus cruises and I have found the crew on the Sun the best of all. could you have been on the Sun over the holidays? If so, I am sure that accounts for part of your experience. Holidays and cruising do not always go together well.

I will add just one thing, on another very popular wedsite there have been about 3 different reviews about the Sun, people retuning just this past weekend, all were quite possitive.
Nita
Old January 14th, 2008, 04:26 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to gfleo

Went on the Pearl last Nov. and found the food to be quite good. Up to par with the other cruise lines, and service was excellent.
Caribbean Princess
C. Destiny
N.Pearl Nov
C.Valor Sept 2008
Ruby Princess
C.Splendor
Indy
Liberty OTS 2009
Carnival Liberty
Eurodam
Radiance OTS
Mariner OTS
C. Freedom
C. Triumph
Navigator OTS(TA)
C.Dream
Solstice 2010
Costa Fortuna
Summit
Norwegian Dawn
C.Glory Sept 2011
Brilliance OTS 2012
Mariner OTS (TA)
Liberty OTS
C.Breeze
C.Conquest
Serenade OTS TA (Nov '13)
C.Sunshine
Indy
Old January 14th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Just goes to show "different strokes for different folks"...
We did the Pearl in Feb of '07 the food on her was the reason we chose Hal for our next cruise.