Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 6th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Passenger

Default Hints/Tips First time cruise (Sun) with a 4 year old!?

I am curious to connect with people cruising with Preschoolers are are going in Jan. 08 with (almost) 4 year old. I was happy to learn we can bring water/kid-drinks on board.

Specifically, I want to know about:
any great books to ready the kiddos for the adventure?
have you used the on board children's activity programs?
land excursions appropriate for a Preschooler in Belize & Honduras?

Also, how does the car seat aspect work, have it in tow for all on-land excursions? Ours is skinny and still in cumbersome 5 pt. harness type seat. i wonder do the ships ever have car seat rental since stowing it in cabin seems like a drag?

Your thoughts/insights are appreciated!
-Cindi
Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I've never cruised with an info... but can offer some help. Ships do not have car seats available.

For shore tours, in many Caribbean locations, you won't find taxis or tour buses even have seat belts to lock a car seat into.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 7th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Admiral

I can offer some assistance since I have sailed with two kiddos on the Sun.
"any great books to ready the kiddos for the adventure?" Sure, there are quite a few at the children'sbook store, I even bought one, but can't recall the name of it. It had neat little pockets and stuff inside it with invitations and different hands on things for the kids to discover and explore as you read to them about the Voyage.

"have you used the on board children's activity programs? " Yes I highly recommend the Kid's Club on the Sun. Gnat the Brat was the manager there and we sailed with her on the Sun and the Spirit, She and threst of the staff know how to have a great time with the kids

"land excursions appropriate for a Preschooler in Belize & Honduras?" I would recommend a glass bottom boat tour at Caye Caulker. That way the adults can take turns snorkelling and watching the kiddo and the kiddo can see the nurse sharks and stingrays and the beautiful coral and fish.

I've never been to Honduras, so I cannot say what I'd do. You might post this question in the Family Cruising forum and I am confident you'll get a response.

Also, how does the car seat aspect work, have it in tow for all on-land excursions? Ours is skinny and still in cumbersome 5 pt. harness type seat. i wonder do the ships ever have car seat rental since stowing it in cabin seems like a drag?

I always bring backless boosters for the kids on vacations. They are under $20 at Walmart and I buy an XL ziploc bag and stick on a lugage tag and check them with our lugage at the airport. but then use them in the cabs to and from the port/hotel etc...

Read and post cruise reviews
Old October 7th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Passenger

Great, I really appreciate the info. & suggestions--good tips, thanks.
Old October 14th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Passenger

Default Beenie Wienie--HELP!

I've stalked my local Borders and could only find one cruise-related children's book which was, "Walter the Farting Dog!" and while my soon to be 4 year old likes bodily function humor just as much as the next kid, I was hoping to find the book with the little pockets of activities you mentioned. Any chance you can give me the title/author?

Many thanks!
Cindi
Old October 14th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Admiral

Cindi, Strangely enough Walter the farting dog books are some of my favorites, along with Harry the Dirty Dog and Harry by the Sea. It took me a while to find the book I was referring to earlier but alas after calling out a search party and attempting to get to the bottom layer of stuff in dd's room I found it!
"Samantha's Ocean Liner Adventure" it is part of The American Girl's Collection. Here's a link to purchase it at about half price. It's a really cool book, for a girl or a boy.

http://www.valorebooks.com/froogle/b...source=froogle

Read and post cruise reviews