Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 9th, 2007, 04:42 PM
First Mate

Default Please READ - Inappropriate Info request

OK - everyone who has read my past posts on this and other boards knows that I am pretty much an NCL fan. However I am afraid that their marketing department has made a BAD mistake. They are sending out an emailed survey request to past cruisers to respond to a survey from a company called Synovat (or Synovate).

All appears fine at first. You connect to Synovate's website from the email and they ask for you name and email address. As soon as you enter that info you are 'registered'.

HOWEVER on the next "page", almost immediately they request inappropriate info - your exact birth date (not your age but your EXACT birth date). This is info that you should NEVER give out or that a truly reputable marketing company should request.

Where I am coming from on this - my husband was a victim of attempted identity theft - which is how I learned from the police about what info one should NEVER give out on surveys. Exact birth date is right up there. I have participated in marketing surveys in the past. This is the first one that REQUIRED an exact birth date. Most want an age range or even an age - no problem with that.

If you receive this email from NCL - please do NOT supply this information to Synovate.

What I have done about it:
1. I have complained to Synovate
2. I have complained to NCL
3. I have posted on this board and will post on other boards
Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to JCAS5599

HI- GLAD I READ YOUR REPLY -THERE IS A SURVEY THAT COMPANY THAT I DO SURVEY'S FOR EVERY DAY. THEY HAVE ASKED ME ABOUT D.O.B., STATE I LIVE IN YADDA YADDA. NO SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER OR TOWN, BUT STILL. I WILL THINK TWICE ON THIS. THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP.
Old October 10th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Yeoman

Zeno, I agree with you that it´s a little too much to give out the exact birthdate in a survey.

Synovate is the worlds 5th biggest company when it comes to surveys so they probably are serious but it´s still good to be careful on which information to give them.
Old October 16th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Passenger

I also got the survey.

Filled it out with my birth date, etc, andf then realized that I had read not to do that, and erased the email.

I guess I could have put in a phony birth date.
Old October 21st, 2007, 07:18 PM
Beginner

I complained to NCL and got no responce..
I complained to the survey company Got no responce...

Pretty rude of both parties....

YMMV