Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 28th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Beginner

Default bringing alcohol on board

Is it ok to bring wine and liquor on board the NCL ship Star?
Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Captain

Nope

Wine ok but you will be charged $15 per bottle corkage for all bottles. No liquor. If found it will be held until the end of the cruise.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old October 28th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Admiral

It's better not to even try the hard stuff. As Shoreguy said, wine is ok, but there is a corkage fee. All lines are cracking down on bringing booze on board for good reasons. One, alcohol is one of the biggest money makers for the cruise line and second, it is easier to control the drinking of passengers when all liquor has to be purchased from the cruise line.

Nita
Old October 29th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Passenger

We just got off the Spirit and putt vodka and rum in water bottles and had no problems. We bought one soda pass for $50.00 and mixed gingerale and coke with our drinks.
Old October 29th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollrud
We just got off the Spirit and putt vodka and rum in water bottles and had no problems. We bought one soda pass for $50.00 and mixed gingerale and coke with our drinks.
Good for you - the question was is it OK not how do you get around the rules.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old October 29th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreguy
Quote:
Good for you - the question was is it OK not how do you get around the rules.
I was thinking something very similar. For those who choose to smuggle, good for you, but the policy is very clear. I choose to follow the rules. The days of sneaking are gone, the same as the days of smoking behind the barn.
Old October 30th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Beginner

Question for our officinados Nita and Shoreguy

We sail next week on Dream out of Valapraiso. (14 days)

I would like to buy a case of Chillean wine whilst in Santiago, to take aboard. Mainly because we would like to try some of the quality Chilean wines as opposed to the mass market brands we find in the UK. I am fully aware of the $15 corkage policy.

Question. Will this be allowed and do I carry it on or can I leave it with the baggage handlers?
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Admiral

I am sorry, I just dont agree with putting hard liquer into water bottles. It actually has nothingt to do with the cruise lines making money, but from health and safety. Where is the control? It's just not right, and when our kids see adults doing these thing...........well and we adult wonder why our teens try and get away with these things? Children learn what they live, and one may say now, well, I dont have kids so who cares, but it is the general attitude of beating the system. I dont think it is a healthy one, and lets remember the vast majority of incidents any where in life involve alcohol and drugs. I am sorry If I sound so strong on this.
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Admiral

Order a bar set-up.
I seem to remember paying about double what I would from a liquor store and half what would be spent in a ship board lounge.
Old October 30th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazover40
Question for our officinados Nita and Shoreguy

We sail next week on Dream out of Valapraiso. (14 days)

I would like to buy a case of Chillean wine whilst in Santiago, to take aboard. Mainly because we would like to try some of the quality Chilean wines as opposed to the mass market brands we find in the UK. I am fully aware of the $15 corkage policy.

Question. Will this be allowed and do I carry it on or can I leave it with the baggage handlers?
I don't see why not, as for how you bring it on, I don't know that is makes much difference. I think I would carry it on. You can leave it, but you will be called to the naughty room and still have to carry it to your cabin. Just my opinion.

Nita
Old October 30th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Admiral

We bought a few bottles of wine while ashore and just handed it over when we got back to the ship.
The day before the ship returned home we turned in our receipt at the front desk and the wine was returned.
Old October 30th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Passenger

Yeomen I do not think you have to make a moral issue out of my posting. Yes we brought it on and if it was confiscated okay. My hubby and I like to have a drink in our stateroom before going out. I am not fond of sitting in bars on ships. Do we buy drinks at the lounges you bet. Do we buy glasses of wine with our meal yes. I am a retired high school counselor and have always wanted our youth to be morally correct in their actions.Your Canadian dollar is a little better than ours right now so you can probably afford more to spend at the bars.
Old October 30th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Beginner

Well let me put it this way. They do check your luggage via xray machine. Anything that resembles a wine or whiskey bottle they will hold
your luggage and place a letter to this effect at your stateroom stating they have it and for you to pick it up.. They have you open it in front of them and if its alcohol they will keep it until the end of the cruise. This happened to me a few weeks ago on the Pride of Hawaii. Cheapest wine at dinner was a california bottle of merlot $ 28 However, we did do the romance package, $78 and this was pretty nice. Bottle of Champagne, hor'dourves, dinner, a bottle of wine at dinner. Nicely done. enjoy
Old November 1st, 2007, 12:17 PM
Beginner

sorry posted in the wrong spot
Old November 1st, 2007, 05:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Yeomen I do not think you have to make a moral issue out of my posting. Yes we brought it on and if it was confiscated okay. My hubby and I like to have a drink in our stateroom before going out. I am not fond of sitting in bars on ships. Do we buy drinks at the lounges you bet. Do we buy glasses of wine with our meal yes. I am a retired high school counselor and have always wanted our youth to be morally correct in their actions.Your Canadian dollar is a little better than ours right now so you can probably afford more to spend at the bars.
Rest assured that while our Dollar is higher than the USA dollar at this time, we have travelled the world extensively, and I might add I am well used to paying 1.44 Canadian for one USA dollar, but even when the exchange was so bad, I did not empty water bottles and fill it with drinks. I tend to try and practice what I preach, and I would find this behaviour totally unacceptable in my teens and therefore I myself would not do it. To each their own, I simply state my opinion that I dont think it is right.

As for making it a moral issue, when I see threads about sneaking alcohol on board, to me it is part of a moral issue, is it really OK to be writting about ways to cheat a system and almost be proud of it? I am not sure it is and as much as others have a right to say how they cheat a system, I have a right to say that I dont agree with it.

You did what you did, fine, it's your life, but if you post in a public forum , then others may make a coment on it that may in fact be negative and others may be positive. Its a chance that is taken.
Old November 1st, 2007, 05:59 PM
Admiral

Let me add that I'm sure no one here would entertain bringing their alcohol on board were it not for two things:

1) The convienence of enjoying a drink in their stateroom or balcony.
2) The OBSCENE mark up charged by the cruise lines...THEY are cheating!

...and you are doing much more than voicing an opinion, you are judging.

Don't throw stones...
Old November 1st, 2007, 06:28 PM
Admiral

Yes and I make more than one judgement. I also agree that drinks cost to much, but I also make the statement that I think it is wrong to sneak it on board in water bottles or in any other form. I remember once people posting pics of guys drerssed in clothes in such a way they snuck bottles on board under the clothes, I personally think that is wrong, I am within my right to say so, and if that is throwing stones then so be it. I dont really care if some one calls it throwing stones, and frankly the way to get cruise lines to change the charge for drinks, is simple.........imagine a few cruises where people only drank while on land? O dont think it would take many cruises before cruise lines would see maybe we should lower the prices. We have a little gas station near us, the prices were always higher, and I mean always. We organized a little sort of boycott, and in our area, we simply didnt buy gass there any more................and we saw the business go sharply down. Then he actually stopped selling gas and only kept the garage open, and now he is back to selling gas, and guess what.............he is not gowging any more. I definately disagree with gouging, I think it is appaling what the cruise lines do charge, but I just dont agree with cheating the system, I believe in trying to form action to change the root of the problem in the first place..............When we leave any cruise, we make a point we fill out the card and write our positives and negatives, and we are sure to point out things like prices that we feel are to high.

Yes I am voicing an opinion, and in that opinion is a judgement, just as your are juding my opinion/judgement. The two are always linked, opinions are often judgements as well and there is nothing wrong with that. If others can state how they get around it, I can state I dont agree with that, if you can state the cruise lines are cheats because of what they charge, others can state you are judging the cruise lines and they dont agree. ( and by the way, judging how drunk some passengers get on drinks that costs that much, maybe the higher prices are for the better- although it means that people who dont get drunk pay the price for those who dont know when to call it a night)

The other issue is that cruise lines are more than aware that people are doing the water bottle switch etc, and I think, I dont remember for sure, but I seem to remember reading a big huff and puff because I think it was carnival no longer allowing bottled water or can drinks to come on board, so many loose the privledge of being aloud a few bottles of water or coke, because of a crack down on alcohol smuggling............
Old November 1st, 2007, 06:50 PM
Admiral

Reminds me of the SOAP BOX derby.

Thanks for continuing to make my point.
Old November 1st, 2007, 06:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
Reminds me of the SOAP BOX derby.

Thanks for continueing to make my point.
You are so welcome!
Old December 1st, 2007, 07:50 PM
Beginner

RE: NCL - PEARL

Can I bring a few bottles of Diet Pepsi w/me in my carry on? Will they take it? Also what types of beer brands do they serve on the PEARL?
Old December 3rd, 2007, 12:34 PM
Admiral

We brought a six pack of water on board with us in our luggage.
We weren't trying to sneak, we just always carry water with us. It showed up in our cabin undisturbed.
I think they discourage the soft drinks.
Just buy a soda card and be done with it.

Only beer I ordered on the Pearl was Corona.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 09:07 PM
Beginner

Per NCL NO! you can't bring alcohol on board.

Yes, you can bring Wine, but they'll forget to tell you that they charge a $15 per bottle uncorking Fee..Till you get to the security portal..Ha Ha! I enjoyed that very much..!

And if that floors you get ready for a cruise you wouldn't soon forget..

Bring lots of money if you want to be treated right, eat good, and have a chance at winning anything bingo, the free cruise...

I have never been nickled and dimed so much by any cruise line..

Good Luck and Think about your options
Old December 4th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by killntime7x24
Per NCL NO! you can't bring alcohol on board.

Yes, you can bring Wine, but they'll forget to tell you that they charge a $15 per bottle uncorking Fee..Till you get to the security portal..Ha Ha! I enjoyed that very much..!

And if that floors you get ready for a cruise you wouldn't soon forget..

Bring lots of money if you want to be treated right, eat good, and have a chance at winning anything bingo, the free cruise...

I have never been nickled and dimed so much by any cruise line..

Good Luck and Think about your options
If you were not told about the $15 corkage fee you might be one of the few. Did you read any of the infomation sent to you prior to cruising? if so you would have known this. After reading your comments about NCL on the other thread I suspect you might be fairly young and as you said you have never traveled before. It is important to always research things and be prepared: vacations always cost more than we plan. Not only cruining, but any vacation. Hopefully next time you decide to vacation you will be a little better prepared.

Nita
Old December 5th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Passenger

I'm booked on the Star for another cruise to the Mexican Riviera in February 2008. Having been "caught" with trying to bring alcohol on board in my luggage, I know better this time.

I had my travel agent contact NCL as to the possibility of pre purchasing alcohol for consumption in my mini suite. My agent was told that NCL WOULD allow me to pre purchase alcohol and have it delivered to my cabin on the day of the cruise. We agreed on what I wanted to purchase and my credit card was charged that amount. I will admit the cost was kind of high but still cheaper than having buy all of the alcohol at the various bars

Ray
Old December 5th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfkeith10
I'm booked on the Star for another cruise to the Mexican Riviera in February 2008. Having been "caught" with trying to bring alcohol on board in my luggage, I know better this time.

I had my travel agent contact NCL as to the possibility of pre purchasing alcohol for consumption in my mini suite. My agent was told that NCL WOULD allow me to pre purchase alcohol and have it delivered to my cabin on the day of the cruise. We agreed on what I wanted to purchase and my credit card was charged that amount. I will admit the cost was kind of high but still cheaper than having buy all of the alcohol at the various bars

Ray
We always do the bar set up on all lines except Princess which doesn't allow bar set ups. It does seem high, but if we think of how many GOOD drinks we can get out of 1 liter of alcohol, you are right, it is much cheaper. figure $40 for about 16 drinks. I think that comes to about $2.50 per drink and it is a nice amount of booze.

Enjoy your cruise, I am sorry you weren't one of the lucky ones that got away with it in your luggage, but it is hit or miss. We never try anymore either. Actually we haven't since they started offering the bar set up. we still buy wine with dinner and a few drinks throughout the week so it isn't like us drinkers are not supporting the bars at all. Right?

Nita