Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 31st, 2007, 01:16 PM
Beginner

Default Norwegian Jewel or Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas??

Can someone please help us decide between a 4-night Bahamas cruise on RC Majesty of the Seas and a 5 night Western Caribbean cruise on NCL's Norwegian Jewel? This would be in January 2008.

We're a 40-something couple and we've never taken a cruise. We'd like some R&R and decent food but we're basically doing this on a whim and on the cheap, because we happen to be in Miami anyway. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply!
Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2007, 02:57 PM
Yeoman

I must first say that I haven´t done any RCCL cruise so my answer is based on that I´m a NCL-lover, so that you know that!!!

I like NCLs Freestyle Cruising concept with no fixed seatings and lots of restaurants to choose from, the Jewel has 12 restaurants and most of them are included in the prize. I haven´t cruised on the Jewel but I have a Jewel cruise booked for next year and I´m really looking forward to that.

Another thing I like about NCL is that they seems to be for people who don´t need to do a lots of things when they are cruising, for me cruising is more about doing as little as possible! The Jewel has no skating rink, climbing wall or bowling alley but there are lots of places to relax and read a book or have a drink. I think that RCCL is more for people who needs action all the time, if you wants that maybe RCCL is a better choice!

NCLs Western Caribbean itinerarys are also very good. I´m not sure which ports they have on the 5 night cruise in January but I have been to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize and Roatan in Western Caribbean and liked all ports.

I hope that this was at least a little help, good luck with your choice and have a great cruise on NCL or RCCL!
Old October 31st, 2007, 05:47 PM
Admiral

i have been on both ships. yes, I am an NCL loyalist, but think the lines are similar in many ways. In this case, there is no comparison. The Jewel is barely 2 years old and one of the nicest ships a float. the Majesty of the Sea is quite old, an ok ship, very small cabins and just not up to par with the Jewel. If you were comparing it with a newer RCI ship it might be a little different. I know you will love the Jewel.

Nita
Old November 1st, 2007, 07:30 PM
Admiral

I personally like NCL very much, for us the freestyle dining, choosing where to eat and when is a huge plus. This is also a pretty new ship, the other an older ship...........I personally would go for the NCL cruise. We had two choices leaving New York this winter RCI and NCL in deasd of winter, we were so happy to see the brand new GEM, sister to Jewel leaving from New York and took that cruise. We also like that NCL seems to be more port intensive than other lines for cruises of the same amount of days, however that is very personal and I know others who never even get off the ship. We love on NCL ships the fact the main lobby is higher than many ( carnival) and the lovely deck seven to sit quietly, read and watch the wonderful sunsets and relax before dinner.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 08:43 AM
Beginner

We cruised the Jewel last November and once again, NCL was top notch. Although I haven't had an opportunity to try most of the other cruise lines, you will find the the staff on NCL are very customer friendly. We had a waitress for dinner one night at Cagneys, her name was Alona. She took our drink order at the beginning of the dinner and a few days later when we had her in a different restaurant, she remembered that very same drink order from the previous time. That's impressive. We also has another server who's name was Jenifer. He made it a point to ask our names on one of the first days and everytime we saw him during the week, he addressed us by our names.

We thought the food was not quite as good as the NCL Spirit from the year before but NCL also had menu changes between the two trips. Still very good though. The ship is beautiful and if you go, DO NOT MISS CIRQUE DU JOU! This is one of the finest cruise ship shows we have seen.

The western caribean was very nice but coming from Maine, any place that close to the equator is nice.

Strongly consider the Jewel, you won't be disapointed.