Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 1st, 2007, 04:47 PM
Beginner

Default Jewel vs. Dawn

We cruised the Jewel last year and will be cruising on the Dawn on a few weeks. Has anybody done both ships and are they twins?
Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2007, 06:42 PM
Admiral

I have not done Jewel but will be doing her sister ship Gem shortly. I have been on DAWN. She will be a little smaller than Jewel, and less new, but still really lovely, and we had a wonderful time on DAWN. That was in fact the cruise we liked the most! It was a wonderful fun filled ten days.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 08:27 AM
Beginner

Thanks Delfthuis. This will be our third cruise on NCL and we were very pleased with the previous two so I have no concerns. I was just looking for a preview from someone who might have been on the Dawn.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 10:27 AM
Admiral

I am sure Shoreguy will pop on here anythime now. He has done both.

Nita
Old November 2nd, 2007, 05:15 PM
Captain

I posted a list of things I like better about each ship after my last Jewel cruise. Let me see if I can find it. Having been on the Dawn 7 times she stil has a special place for me.

Is it different then the Dawn? Yes. In closing I will add the two lists I posted of things I liked better about the Jewel and the Dawn.

Things I liked better about the Dawn. Here are 10 quick things in no special order.

1. The Dawn art work - added class - all the stayway pictures on the Jewel are giant wallpaper photos.

2. The wood trim - To much dark grainy panels on the Jewel that does not look as nice or as real as the light cherry on the Dawn.

3. The funiture in public areas - looks really cool on the Jewel - But the one question I heard from many on the Jewel: Have you found a comfortable chair anywhere inside?

4. I miss Impressions the third dining room it is now the Bistro.

5. Dining with the Masters in the Dawn Bistro.

6. Pearly Kings - What a waste. It is now the art gallery and internet cafe on the Jewel

7. The Spa - more treatment areas on the Jewel but the loss of the indoor pool area and those wonderful aft facing teak loungers.

8. The Cigar Bar - on the Jewel it is not enclosed and sits between the entrance to the Bistro and the piano at bar central.

9. Blue Lagoon - On the Jewel it is on deck 8 no outside seating. It is more formal and in fact just an extension of Tango's. At night you really can't run in there in your shorts or jeans for a quick bit. They in fact use most of the area for additional seating for Tango's at night. The good news it will not be the late night hang out for teens.

10. The number one thing I like better about the Dawn it sails out of NYC

Here are some random things that I found better on the Jewel.

1. Garden Cafe - the station layout really makes the flow better. No more standing in line.

2. The Great Outdoors - back from the Sun - this will be a popular space once the ship gets to Miami.

3. Mama's Kitchen - the toughest reservation on the ship - far better then the dressed up area of the buffet on the Dawn. Great spot for breakfast. Many used it as a game room during the day.

4. The pool area - much more room - Two full sized pools - the water slide was a blast - it is fresh water. With almost no kids onboard the adults got to use it.

5. The massive areas on the Sun Decks - you should have no problem finding a chair to sit in the Sun.

6. In general all the additional seating in all the specialty restaurants makes last minute reservations very easy. Lower cost then the Dawn Bistro $10 Cagney’s $15

7. The balcony in Stardust has much better sight lines. Many complained about the lack of a center or side aisles on the main level. No issue for me.

8. The information systems will be better on the Jewel - the restaurant status boards, the pagers allowing you to wander off until your table is ready, interactive TV is coming to check you bill, book shore excursions and order room service.

9 the restaurant reservations are now all online. A card swipe and a couple of touches on the screen and you are booked.

10. In general the Jewel has better outside space and technology, In my view the Dawn better inside space.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old November 2nd, 2007, 05:23 PM
Captain

Some of the above has changed. The third dining room on the Dawn ( my old favorite) is now Impressions of Italy so they no longer use half the buffet area .

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska