Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 9th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Beginner

Default Formal night??

Our family is leaving on our very first cruise (7 day Caribbean on the Spirit leaving 12/23) - we got excited about being able to dress up together one night and ran out and bought fancy dresses.....but the more I read, it sounds like the dresses I bought might be to dressy (think prom!). My daughters are 15 and 19 - do I need to break their hearts now and tell them our dresses are too dressy? I might be misunderstanding the whole freestyle cruising thing. I know there will be one formal night - do they really mean formal?? I would like to know while the tags are still on the dresses! Also, will a dark suit be enough for my husband for the formal night - or do most men wear a tux?
Boy, there is alot of great info on these boards. I have been on here all week getting answers to my questions. I'm going to walk on that cruise ship like a pro thanks to all of you real cruisers!!
Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Admiral

Hi Amy,

There's really no such thing as "too dressy". You and your daughters will be fine on the Spirit for Fomal Night (especially since you'll be there on Christmas ). Most ladies will be dressed to the "nines"!

A dark suit will be okay for your DH. (Who'll be looking at him with you and your DD's all dressed up !)

Have a wonderful cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old November 10th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Captain

Dress up it want night on NCL (no longer called formal night) is eactly that. You will find some dressed to the nines including a tux and fancy dresses, some men in suits and women in cocktail dresses, many in sports coats no ties and nice dresses, and as any night on NCL many still in resort casual with a nice shirt and slacks, sundress or capris etc. And finally there will always be a very fwe that want it their way and will still be in their Jeans. They do restrict those dressed down from one of the dining room.

The best part of your family dressing up is it is fun so go for it. Make sure you have pictures taken. Some of the best pictures of my family growing up were those taken on formal night.

These pictures will give you some idea of the variety of dress on NCL Dress Up if Want night.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old November 11th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Admiral

Many were dressed up, we did spirit in march 06, then dawn for 06/07 new years eve cruise. There were formal nights on both. Spirit was a little more casual, but many were very formal, but on the holiday cruise, ALOT were dressed to the nines and it was lovely! We will go on GEM shortly and have formal wear for all of us, the guys wear black suits, the gals long dresses etc...........
Old November 21st, 2007, 02:31 PM
Passenger

There is no such thing as too dressy, espcially over the holidays. There were women in ball gowns -- gigantic skirts & all -- on my last NCL cruise.

Wear them happily in good health & smile for a wonderful family photo.
Old November 26th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Passenger

When I started cruising a few years ago, I bought a tuxedo. I love wearing my tuxedo on formal nights on cruises. I always wanted to own my own tuxedo anyway.