Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 3rd, 2008, 08:46 PM
Admiral

Default Spirit engines ...lets do some wild & reckless speculat

OK me and bunch of other folks have booked the Spirit quite a while ago for the March 30 sailing. It is basically a 14 day repositioning cruise from New Orleans to NYC. We just found out through the grapevine that NCL has informed people who are sailing anytime between now and March 23 (most of these folks have already made final payment, our final payment is due the 15th) that they are altering some of the itinerary until the problem gets fixed.

Here's where the wild speculation takes place: Do you think
a. They're just stalling so they can cancel our two week repo cruise and make the needed repairs then.

b. They don't have a clue what they're going to do and are waiting for divine intervention

c. They'll be able to fix it on the fly and we'll be on a trouble free cruise

d. They'll just leave it as-is until the next scheduled dry dock in 2011.

Weigh in with your thoughts.

Read and post cruise reviews
Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Ok, heres my 2 cents.....for what it's worth.....I don't think with this type of issue, they would wait till 2011 to fix it....IF, they think, within a 2 week time frame, they can get it done, I think they would probably cancel ONE cruise, [yours] rather than a couple of cruises..less paperwork and people to deal with.

What could change my mind is knowing just how long this problem has been going on..a recent issue, or a lingering one......Good luck!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 4th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Admiral

Trip thanks for your input. It would not surprise me if they do cancel our cruise. It's very strange, normally I would be stressed over this sort of thing, but to be honest as long as they compensate us fairly, I really don't care and to me it's just a terrific adventure to get to pick out another cruise. I must admit, I am curious though. But no matter what I know we'll have a ball.
I am not sure how long it's been going on or exactly what the real problem is, there are lots of conflicting reports. What I have heard is that a while back there was a small fire involving one of the engines, the scuttlebutt now is that they've fixed the engine but now there is something wrong with a propeller. Most of the folks in the know (not really in the know, but are better, more educated guessers than most lol)are leaning towards the opinion this will require a dry dock and cannot be fixed on the fly.

At this point NCL is keeping mum aside from missing Santo Tomas de Castilla Guatemala on the itinerary since the fire, now they have issued emails to everyone sailing between now and March 23rd (the sailing right before ours) that they are reinstating the original initerary except shortening the tme in port while in Roatan, because with their technical difficulties the ship must go slower. Which leads me to speculate whether they intend to do anything about their "issue" until the week of our cruise since they are setting the expectations it will not be fixed prior to then. So I have a couple of cruises on a short list, to book in the event this one gets cancelled.
It's all goood!

Old January 5th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

My guess is they would not wait for 2011, but they will cancel a shorter cruise, a one-week one. And they are waiting for a slot in a shipyard to open up.

If they were going to cancel your cruise, and already knew it, they would have not already said what they did say about the itinerary.
Old January 5th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Admiral

But see that's the thing, they haven't said anything about our two week long March 30th itinerary yet. They have only stated the itinerary changes for the week long itineraries leading up to ours.

There's also the factor of NCL introducing Freestyle 2.0 which will require some interior changes on the ship and the BA cabin modules they intended to add on the last dry dock they had, but couldn't complete because they had issues getting work authorization for their foreign workers into the U.S. So I am thinking they could get a lot of mileage out of a two week long dry dock.

The other reason I wonder if they haven't said anything is because our final payment on this cruise is not due until the 15th or 16th of this month. I don't think they would come out and announce a cancellation and offer compensation until after they have a complete list of passengers who have paid up completely, since obviously some will cancel when final payment is due.

I would not be surprised though to hear that they are waiting to see if a dry dock slot will open up.

Old January 5th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie
I would not be surprised though to hear that they are waiting to see if a dry dock slot will open up.
If as reported by NCL it is a problem with one of 4 engines they will not need a drydock to fix unlike the ships with azipods. Think about the Wind going months waiting for a part to be manufactured and one engine finally fixed. No drydock but months of revised intineraries. They do not have replacement parts for these massive custom engines sitting on a shelf at the local gas station. Many need to be built to order.

Keep in mind the ship has to get from NOLA to NYC. It will sail there. The question in my mind what will the intinerary be. If the engine has not been repaired expect to drop a port or 2.

Now if the problem is with the propeller of drive shaft and not the engine as reported a drydock is in the future. I believe there is one in Alabama that I believe the Sun used. Throw the Spirit in there for a week or two. Jump back to NOLA, load up the ship, and head for NYC. Now if all they can get is Grand Bahama drydock they could cruise empty to there and then run up to NYC. I think they will do everything posible to minimize revenue loss.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old January 5th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Admiral

Thanks everyone, I am anxiously awaiting word to see what will happen next. Its always interesting to see the unique issues that occur and the interesting ways the cruise lines deal with them. I'll let you know if anything "official" trickles down.

Old January 5th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Beginner

I just spoke to NCL and they said there's not a problem with the MArch 23th cruise.....I know one of the people in our party got a call and email....
but noone else has.....
Old January 5th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyj38
I just spoke to NCL and they said there's not a problem with the MArch 23th cruise.....I know one of the people in our party got a call and email....
but noone else has.....
I read this letter that went out to all booked direct and to the TAs of those booked thru them to include the March 23 cruise. All the 7 day cruises.

Dear Valued Travel Partners & Guests,
Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) has important information for you regarding Norwegian Spirit’s 7-day
Western Caribbean sailings from New Orleans, Louisiana
from January 20, 2008 until March 23,
2008. All guests booked on these sailings need to be aware of this change and travel professionals are
asked to forward this information to their clients.
Because of a technical issue with one of her four engines, Norwegian Spirit will be travelling at a
reduced speed for the above mentioned sailings. Please be assured that the engine issue reducing our
speed capabilities in no way impacts the safe operation of the vessel.
Based on this reduced speed, we will arrive in Roatán, Bay Islands, Honduras two hours later than
originally scheduled. We have made every attempt to maximize your time in Roatán. Unfortunately,
because of our technical issue and the distance between New Orleans and Roatán we are unable to
arrive earlier. Our revised itinerary will be:

Sun New Orleans, Louisiana 5:30 PM
Mon At Sea
Tue Roatán, Bay Islands, Honduras
3:00 PM 8:00 PM
Wed Santo Tomás de Cas tilla, Guatemala 8:00 AM 6:00 PM
Thu Belize City, Belize 8:00 AM 6:00 PM
Fri Cozumel, Mexico 8:00 AM 5:00 PM
Sat At Sea
Sun New Orleans, Louisiana 8:00 AM

It's not often that we need to alter an itinerary. When we do, we know it can cause disappointment.
Guests choosing not to sail as a result of this itinerary change may cancel their cruise without
cancellation fees and receive a full refund of the cruise fare paid. Please contact your travel
representative as soon as possible should you decide to cancel your reservation as cancellations must
be made by Friday, January 18, 2008.
Thank you for your understanding and continued support of Norwegian Cruise Line. Should you have
any questions about this change, please call us at (800) 327-7030. As always, a NCL representative is
available to assist you.
Sincerely,
Crane Gladding
Senior Vice President, Revenue Management & Passenger Services

Old January 5th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Admiral

Speaking to the fine befuddled folks at the NCL call centers is a lesson in futility. You can call there 20 different times and get 20 completely different answers. But I am confident after much confusion, something will become clear for our sailing on March 30th. Either we'll go as planned or we'll go on a different itinerary or we won't go at all on the Spirit. Or some variation thereof lol!

Old January 5th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie
Speaking to the fine befuddled folks at the NCL call centers is a lesson in futility. You can call there 20 different times and get 20 completely different answers. But I am confident after much confusion, something will become clear for our sailing on March 30th. Either we'll go as planned or we'll go on a different itinerary or we won't go at all on the Spirit. Or some variation thereof lol!
That covers all the options