Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 9th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Beginner

Default Norwegian Spirit - NYC Cruise Parking - June 28th

Hello all:

My family and I will be on the Norwegian Spirit cruise leaving out of NYC on June 28th. I live in NJ and am thinking of driving in and leaving my van in the cruise terminal long term parking lot. I have visited their site and saw that it is first come/first serve. I am just wondering if anyone has experience in doing this and if it was a problem. My concern is getting there with no available parking - then what to do? Thanks for any info. Would love to hear about more experiences on the ship as well.

JIM
Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Beginner

We will be going in Aug and driving from MA. I have been told that there is an overflow lot a few blocks away. Not quite as easy but at least an option if the lot is full. I would guess you could still drop your bags off and then head over if needed.

What I have been told so far is you pull in at 12th and 54th St and at the 3rd level they take your bags and you park on the upper levels.
Old January 12th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Captain

Never seen the lots full. Keep in mind if you get there early those getting off the ship may not have exited the lot yet. I have parked in NYC 7 times. If you time it right you can follow one of the disembarking passengers and take their great spot as they pull out.

Things have changed at the pier in the last month. Bagge drop off may be at a lower level. Pier 88 has completed it's 2 year remodel and is now open. That is the pier you will most likely use. Follow the signs. They are big and there are lots of them. Route 9a south becomes 12th ave.

I spent a morning taking pictures at the piers. Pier 88 was not open yet but these should help you feel familar with the area. Click on the picture for more shots.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old January 18th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

We parked at the pier and we very impressed. We got there at 9:00 AM and there was plenty of parking. Although we had originally worried about our car being in the lot for a week, the first thing we noticed was the security (uniformed guards and bomb-sniffing dogs) that checked each and every car entering the lot.

The other aspect was the convenience of parking on top of the pier where our ship was docked. You just take the elevator down to the 1st floor and get on the boat. When we returned, we used the express de-embarkation and walked out bags out to the car. The total time from exiting the ship to being in our car in the Holland Tunnel was less than 20 minutes (it would have been faster if I hadn't missed the sign for the tunnel and had to make a U-turn to get back!).

The price for parking at the piers is kind of a shock to those of us coming from upstate where we could get a great steak dinner for $24 but in terms of NYC parking, I hear that it is a bargain.
Old January 24th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Beginner

Hello Jim,
We are going to be on the same cruise...and we're traveling up from NC !
(We are a group of 20 !)
In the past, we have found it was easier to be dropped off/picked up by friends/relatives than to leave our car in the lot. Parking at the pier is quite simple, just make sure you get there early.
You don't have to wait until 4 to board the ship. I believe you can get on as early as like 1-2 o'clock...just be sure to have a small bag packed with your bathing suit, essentials, etc as your luggage is taken away and you won't see it till we sail off and are allowed to go to your room.
Is this your first cruise? You'll love it!
Nancy
Old January 24th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Admiral

parking on the pier is great with no hassles. There was always plenty of space. New renovations, is not great, porter service is a disaster now. Who ever heard of making your porter stand in line with you for an hour to clear customs? They are not to happy them selves and you cannot blame them. ??apparently they are considering a line for PAX with porters, a porter line up to speed things up. Well, they better do something.