Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 14th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Beginner

Default Tours vs renting a car

My husband and I are doing the 7 day Hawaiian Islands cruise this month on the Pride of America. What is the best way to see the the islands, booking a tour or renting a car? I like the idea of a tour but am wondering if we will see more of the islands by taking off on our own.

Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Admiral

why not do both, on some islands you may want to consider a car, the others doing tours. Just a thought???

Nita
Old January 15th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

rent a car
RENT a car
RENT A car
RENT A CAR

did I say, RENT A CAR?

you can get some great deals on rental cars in the Hawaiian Islands, plenty of discount coupins floating around online.

Save yourself plenty of dough and rent a car

Captain
Old January 15th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Beginner

Thanks to you both for your responses! We will definitely consider renting a car. Our cruise is less than two weeks away and I've got to start thinking about what we want to see while there. No time like the last minute :-). This will be my husband's first cruise and my third (Alaska cruises before) so it will be a new experience for both of us!
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Passenger

In Hilo, make sure you rent a car and drive out to Volcano National Park. Its a nice drive and when you get there, visit the welcome center. From there do yourself a favour and take the drive all the way to the bottom (to were the road is closed for the lava flow). The views are amazing from the top. When you come back up do the short trip around the main crater where all the steam vents are.
Hilo itself is small town with not much there. If you get back in time take a short drive up the coast, the opposite way from the park and when you see the sign for the "scenic drive" take it. The route is only a few miles but it is the old original, one and a half lane road. This is really nice and again, if you have time, continue that way out to Akaka Falls. This is well worth the trip.
This can all be done in a day WITH a rental car.
Have fun!
Old March 4th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Beginner

RENT A CAR - WITHOUT A DOUBT!! I did the Pride of Hawaii and rented a car in every port and loved it. You can see all the same things as the tours and have the freedom to take off when you want. Loved this itinerary! Have a great time!
Old March 4th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378

we did both, one thing is look at the excursions and figure what sounds good. we did the movie tour on kuai i believe and went golfing on maui, golfing is no good unless u go to one of the expensive courses. the public one we played was like playing back here in NJ. feel free to email me and i will send u any info i have
bige11378@yahoo.com
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old March 4th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378

sorry i forgot if u rent a car in hawaii make sure u have a cell phone and if u have a portable navigation system bring it (make sure it has Hawii maps in it some do not) as many of the roads sound alike and the residents do not give good directions over the phone, we had some trouble finding our way around
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old March 9th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Beginner

Thanks for writing! We had a lovely time on our cruise; unfortunately the ship was not able to dock in Hilo due to choppy seas so no drive up to the volcano. Bummer! We did get to a lot of whales that day out at sea. We were going to rent a car that day.

In Maui we rented a car both days. In Kona we took the tour "Historic Kona." I made a big mistake for Kaui! The first day we had a rental for the day. The second day was to be a tour to the canyon (forgot the name.) Unfortunately, I had booked the tour for the day before! Let me tell you, I shed a few tears over that one!!!

I agree; a mix of rental cars and tours is the way to go, Sometimes you just want to sit back and let someone else do the driving!

Nancy
Old March 9th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhiraoka
Thanks for writing! We had a lovely time on our cruise; unfortunately the ship was not able to dock in Hilo due to choppy seas so no drive up to the volcano. Bummer! We did get to a lot of whales that day out at sea. We were going to rent a car that day.

In Maui we rented a car both days. In Kona we took the tour "Historic Kona." I made a big mistake for Kaui! The first day we had a rental for the day. The second day was to be a tour to the canyon (forgot the name.) Unfortunately, I had booked the tour for the day before! Let me tell you, I shed a few tears over that one!!!

I agree; a mix of rental cars and tours is the way to go, Sometimes you just want to sit back and let someone else do the driving!

Nancy
Nancy, thanks for getting back and letting us know how the cruise went. I know what you mean about disappointment. We did the Jewel on her maiden North Atlantic crossing and missed NewFoundland. This was the one port many of us were so excited about seeing. We were looking forward, among other things, to seeing the Puffins. sometimes things just don't quite work out. You think you have everything down pat but you don't. It does sound like you balanced the ports out pretty well and had a good time. Again, thanks for sharing with us.

nita