Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 15th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Passenger

Default dress codes

Can some one share with me NCL's dress policy for the main dining rooms. Specifically, will they allow jeans in the dining areas for dinner?

Thanks,

Ray
Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Beginner

Have not been on them yet, my cruise on the Norwegian Star to Mexico leaves on 02/12/08. I found a website called Travelers Advantage(must have been an agency) and it noted that no shorts or jeans after 6pm in any of the ship's restaurants. I may be wrong, but I am planning on jeans all day and then jumping into Dockers at 5:59pm.

Enjoy your trip.
Old January 15th, 2008, 07:30 PM
First Mate

Default Yes, according to the attached press release!

From a news article on CC website:

NCL Dining Rooms Officially Adopt "Jeans Allowed" Policy
In a move sure to raise hackles among those who prefer cruising's more traditional ambience, Norwegian Cruise Line is the first cruise line to adopt a dining room dress policy that's truly informal -- jeans are actually allowed if not also encouraged. It says so. In a press release distributed to travel agencies this week (upon first reading it we actually checked our calendars to make sure it somehow wasn't April Fool's Day), the line outlines its dress restrictions: "At night, it's relaxed. Casual shirts and pants, even nice jeans (that’s new) for guys. For women, it’s slacks or jeans (also new), dresses, shirts and tops. Shirts and nice shorts are fine for kids under 12."

For those who feel dinner to be a formal affair, one restaurant -- typically the aft-facing main dining room (but it might vary by ship) -- will always be designated jeans-free. But on a ship like Norwegian Jewel, with 10 venues for eating -- including a sushi joint, an Italian restaurant, a steakhouse and a French restaurant -- that amounts to the majority of options being all casual, all the time.

A closer look at the written policies of other mainstream lines indicates a hesitation to formally outlaw jean wearing at dinnertime. Holland America, Royal Caribbean, Carnival and Celebrity have avoided explicitly forbidding denim-at-dinner, merely indicating what should be worn: sport shirts and slacks for men; sundresses or pants for women. These guidelines, of course, apply to casual nights onboard; the same rules for formal evenings still apply.

Only Princess has made a solid commitment, officially prohibiting jeans from the dining room.

--by Dan Askin, Assistant Editor
Old January 15th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinPueblo
Have not been on them yet, my cruise on the Norwegian Star to Mexico leaves on 02/12/08. I found a website called Travelers Advantage(must have been an agency) and it noted that no shorts or jeans after 6pm in any of the ship's restaurants. I may be wrong, but I am planning on jeans all day and then jumping into Dockers at 5:59pm.

Enjoy your trip.
You might want to change that to SHORTS all day.
Old January 16th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Yes, according to the attached press release!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaShrek
From a news article on CC website:

NCL Dining Rooms Officially Adopt "Jeans Allowed" Policy
In a move sure to raise hackles among those who prefer cruising's more traditional ambience, Norwegian Cruise Line is the first cruise line to adopt a dining room dress policy that's truly informal -- jeans are actually allowed if not also encouraged. It says so. In a press release distributed to travel agencies this week (upon first reading it we actually checked our calendars to make sure it somehow wasn't April Fool's Day), the line outlines its dress restrictions: "At night, it's relaxed. Casual shirts and pants, even nice jeans (that’s new) for guys. For women, it’s slacks or jeans (also new), dresses, shirts and tops. Shirts and nice shorts are fine for kids under 12."

For those who feel dinner to be a formal affair, one restaurant -- typically the aft-facing main dining room (but it might vary by ship) -- will always be designated jeans-free. But on a ship like Norwegian Jewel, with 10 venues for eating -- including a sushi joint, an Italian restaurant, a steakhouse and a French restaurant -- that amounts to the majority of options being all casual, all the time.

A closer look at the written policies of other mainstream lines indicates a hesitation to formally outlaw jean wearing at dinnertime. Holland America, Royal Caribbean, Carnival and Celebrity have avoided explicitly forbidding denim-at-dinner, merely indicating what should be worn: sport shirts and slacks for men; sundresses or pants for women. These guidelines, of course, apply to casual nights onboard; the same rules for formal evenings still apply.

Only Princess has made a solid commitment, officially prohibiting jeans from the dining room.

--by Dan Askin, Assistant Editor
don't bet on no jeans in the dining rooms on Princess.

Nita
Old January 16th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Beginner

Just got off the Spirit. There were jeans in the dinindg room. In Gardens there was even shorts and t-shirts. I like casual, but that was crazy. I was shocked about shorts and t-shirts for dinner.
Old January 16th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

On most of the Carnival and RCC lines, even though theyn say no jeans, they never turn them away and the same with Norwegian. They state no jeans, but they won't turn you away as long as you look OK!