Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 23rd, 2008, 10:39 PM
Beginner

Default Balcony vs Outside Cabin Window ???

We are sailing on The Spirit this June to the Carribean. I'm seeking opinions/experiences on having a balcony cabin. We have to make a choice between that, outside (window) or an inside cabin on Deck 10?
I figure we're not in the room much anyway, so how often would we actually sit out on the balcony.
Appreciate some feedback as well as comments/experiences on the ship itself.
Thanks!
Nancy
Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2008, 11:00 PM
Admiral

I would love to have a balcony on the Spirit but there are no balcony rooms that accomodate 4 people. We had an inside last time on the Spirit and it was small but fine. We have had balconies and mini suites on other ships though and I love a balcony. Simply because I always get up earlier than everyone else and I can make a cup of coffee and go out early in the morning and enjoy it so much. I would sometimes order room service once everyone was awake and we would just linger out there admiring how beautiful it was. When we've sailed with an inside cabin I would just quietly get dressed and run out to the lido deck or the area on the back of the ship and enjoy a cup of coffee. I'd take a walkie talkie with me and d/h would call me when he and the kids woke up. So it is not essential to have a balcony, but it is nice. Next months cruise in an inside and on the one after that it is an oceanview. I thought that it would be the next best thing to a balcony. As long as you get on the ship you'll have it made, no matter what it will be great.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 24th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Admiral

We had an outside window on SPIRIT and balcony on GEM. To be honest we were rarely on the balcony, we would stand out for a few minutes and hang wet bathing suits, we tended to congregrate on Deck seven and make a seating area there and be all together. Having had now inside, outside and balcony, I personally wont pay extra for a balcony as it just was not that great of a perk. We are just not in the room enough, and they are not like they can fit a family, to sit down and talk, and enjoy, it's nice to open the door and have a fresh breeze some times, some times you get a nice view of an island, but certainly little to no sun with balconies on top. That's JMO.
Old January 24th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Admiral

We have had both. A balcony on the Pearl and an outside with a large window on HAL's Ryndam.
Yeah, we enjoyed the balcony but did not use it much.
The Ryndam's cabin was so much bigger we felt very comfortable.
Picture the balcony area being added to the indoor cabin size

With the extra room and large window, we feel an outside is a better deal.
Old January 24th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

We have had an inside room, an outside room with a window and a balcony room. I will tell you the pros and cons of wach.

Inside - the best thing about an inside cabin is the price. The room is basically identical as any other normal room and you still receive every other service that anyone else gets but at a very inexpensive price.

The only negative thing about an inside room is the fact there is no window, so, when you go to sleep and wake up, you have no idea whether it is 4 in the morning or 8am. Therefore, you end up having to get up or completely open your eyes to see a clock or watch to know whether it is time to get up.

Outside with a window - The best part of an outside cabin is just the opposite of the negative for an inside cabin. It lets you know what part of the day it is without having to constantly look at a clock or watch. Additionally, the room does seem to look larger with a window as it lets light in. Finally, it is really nice for the time you are in your room to be able to look out and see the ocean as you are sailing.

Balcony - OK, here is the worst part! Once you have a cabin with a balconey, you'll never want anything else and will be very disappointed on your next cruise if you opt for a non balcony cabin. We originally thought it was silly to get a balconey since if we wanted to look out the ocean with fresh air, all we had to do was go outside on the decks. Heck, I mean the whole ship is basically a balconey. We were wrong, it is soooo nice to have a balconey as we were always out on the balconey as the sun set and we had drinks and appetisers. It is very relaxing and very nice, especially at night when you are sailing. It also has all glass, so, there is so much more sunlight that comes into your cabin and it makes you feel as though your cabin is much bigger than it really is.

The negative of a balcony is that usually, it is much more expensive and in most cases, that expense does not justify the extra dollars. In our case, we are going on the Norwegian Star on february 4th for 8 nights. I was able to book a fantastic deal and that is what you need to look for. When I booked it 7 months ago, for a few days, they had a special whereby, if you booked any outside cabin with a window, you would get upgraded to a balcony. We were able to book the 8 night cruise with a balcony for only $529.00 since I booked the cheapest outside room. I was given a balconey on Deck 10 which is the second highest deck, so, it was a great deal as the same room today is twice as much, $1079.00.

If I could not find a special, then I agree with the others, that the extra money does not justify the expense since I do not have unlimited funds. I will always wait till the cruise companies have a great special to book a cruise and then work my vacation time around whenever they have specials.

Last year, we got a cabin with a balcony for 8 nights on the Carnival Spirit also for $529.00 as I waited for the deals. On both the Star and Spirit, I could have spent even less for just a room with a window, but for $70.00 more per person, it was well worth the extra expense.

So, it really all comes down to how much extra expense are you willing to pay. I would say if you can get a balcony room for $100.00 or less per person, it is definately is worth it. Anything more, then I would go with a room with a window. However, if the room with a window is any more than 100.00 per person than an inside room, just go with the cheapest rate and use that extra money to book book another cruise or for excursions or whatever. Finally, if you do go with an inside room, it does not matter what floor you are on, so, just go with the cheapest one you can find and enjoy the extra money! What i really enjoy is the fact that I receive everything that anyone else gets and they are paying twice as much for the exact same food, fun and entertainment![/list]
Old January 24th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Admiral

As others have said, it really depends on how much time you spend in your cabin.

I'd "guess" that most people don't spend much time in their cabin. They probably sleep, shower and change clothes, then they're outta there!

At this point in our lives we love a balcony cabin because we do spend a lot of time there. DH has a very stressful job and enjoys just sitting on the balcony with a drink and watching the ocean go by .

We may very well change our minds after he retires and doesn't need as much "down time" as we do now!

(I could never sail in less than an outside (or even porthole) cabin. I'm too claustrophobic .)

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old January 24th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Admiral

in general IMHO..it depends on the number of sea days and the number of passengers onboard...more port days then sea days, I would not go the extra expense for a balcony...more sea days and over 1500 passengers, well worth the expense for the balcony so you can have a sense of privacy and get away from the crowds and enjoy the down time
Old January 25th, 2008, 01:24 AM
Admiral

I should have added that our outside was AFTER a balcony and we didn't feel a let down for not having one.
Old January 25th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Admiral

Our Balcony was after the outsides, and when we book next, we will not pay extra for the balcony. Just was not worth it. Thats just us.
Old January 26th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well, even our travel agent didn't recommend us to get a balcony cabin . . . thing is, most people won't use it that much, and it'd be a bit too windy to sit out on there and not have your hair flying all over the place. Well, that's what she told us. And if you want to enjoy a cup of coffee while looking at the sea, I mean, you could just do that on the lido deck or something. As for window cabins, I dunno, but if you just wanted to see how it was like outside (at port), you could just switch on the tv to the camera on the bridge or just walk outsie lol.

I'd prefer an inside cabin since it's the best value, but that's just me
Old January 26th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Passenger

I posted this in a different form, but you might want to consider this if you are looking at an inside to save money.

"If you want a huge inside they are: 5035, 6035, 6535, 9051, 9551, 9203, 9207, 10611 these are all 250 sq ft and well laid out. There are a few more that are 200-225 sq ft and they are: 10031, 10531, 9205.
If you can, try to stay closer to the bow, there is a shaking/vibration from the engines at the back."

It is true though that once you go Balcony......you don't go back!