Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 31st, 2008, 03:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Pay restaurants on Dawn

My husband wants to try one of the pay restaurants on board the Dawn. Can anyone give me suggestions on which pay restaurants are worth eating at?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2008, 04:15 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378

my favorites are le bistro and the steakhouse. u have decide what type of food u want . if u like chinese food or steak better. they are all pretty good
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old January 31st, 2008, 07:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

We found that all of the alternative restaurants on board were excellent. our favorite would have to be Cagney's Steak Restaurant however. When we went last time, the surcharge for this venue was $20 and included a big shrimp cocktail, any of the "regular" steaks or filet on the menu and the other courses. For an additional fee ($4 I think) you could get surf and turf.

We really enjoyed Bamboo also. This is the Asian restaurant and they give you a variety of asian dishes with each course. I enjoyed this one because I got to sample some dishes that I would not normally go out to dinner for. The surcharge for this one is $12.50. If you go next door to the Sushi & Teppanyaki, the "all-you-can eat Sushi is $10. Now I don't eat Sushi, but everyone said that it was well worth it. It is also kind of neat to go there just to watch the conveyor system that they use to transport the sushi dishes around the dining "bar". You sit at a counter and the food goes by and you just grab the ones you want. It reminds you of the baggage carousel at the airport.

Le Bistro is very good and includes Escargot for appetizer (another food that I don't eat) that everyone raved about. Seems like an excuse to eat alot of garlic and butter to me. Surcharge is $15 and is worth it.

What we have found about the specialty restaurants is this: The level of service and selection of dishes is much higher even though the quality of the food is the same as the main dining rooms. Having the ability to reserve a set time for dinner is helpful on nights when there is a show or other event that you want to attend (especially formal nights) and you don't want to take a chance on hitting a long line at the larger dining venues. This is the major drawback to Freestyle cruising for us.

Currently 18 degrees in Buffalo at 7:47 PM
Old January 31st, 2008, 07:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

I forgot to mention about the reservations at the specialty restaurants on the Dawn.

First, as soon as you get on the ship, make a reservation for any of the "pay" restaurants and you get 50% off. This is for the first night only!

Secondly, If you think that you will be using any of the restaurants decide early in the cruise and make reservations because they will book up quickly. If you are unsure, make the reservation and cancel within the appropriate time (24 hours, I think) and you will not be charged for the cancellation.

-Jim