CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Norwegian Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/)
-   -   NCL PEARL OR JEWEL..WHICH ONE DO I SAIL ON (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/346736-ncl-pearl-jewel-one-do-i-sail.html)

skygrabber February 15th, 2008 01:13 PM

NCL PEARL OR JEWEL..WHICH ONE DO I SAIL ON

JUST LOOKING FOR OPINIONS ON THESE SHIPS AS I'M LOOKING TO GO ON ONE OF THEM IN LATE MARCH OR EARLY APRIL.I'VE CRUISED ON MANY SHIPS AND THIS WILL BE MY 11TH CRUISE.. TELL ME YOUR THOUGHTS,LIKES AND ANY DISLIKES ON THESE SHIPS.I WILL BE CRUISING SINGLE MOST LIKELY. I APPRCIATE IT. THANKS SO MUCH AND HAPPY CRUISING...PETE

nicknack70 February 19th, 2008 12:18 PM

not sure about the Pearl, but we just came back from the Jewel and it was awesome! Loved the pool areas and pretty much everything on the ship. I think they should be very similar in amenities. BTW, the coffee stations ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! especially loved the Lattes and the Esspresso's-also, they do not c harge extra for these and most cruise lines would...very state of the art!

linnealee February 19th, 2008 12:49 PM

I have been on both, but the Pearl is newer and has a rock climbing wall and bowling alley, unlike the Jewel.

rinker250 February 19th, 2008 04:21 PM

We cruised the Pearl last Feb to the Carribean.
The balcony cabins are just gorgeous as is the rest of the ship.
The piano bar has two very good entertainers, Peter James and Clarolyn (yes, 2 'L's') Maier.
There is also a huge WII where you can play or just watch others for hours...very fun.
Plus, all the other standard cruise stuff.

Do not waste your money on the specialty restaurant named Cagney's...the portions are insultingly small.

gfleo February 20th, 2008 05:27 AM

Was on the Pearl last November, and was FANTASTIC. Fellow cruisemate Jennifer was on the Jewel November and she told me that she had the time of her life, so I think both will be fine, but like linnealee said the Pearl has a bowling alley and a rock climbing wall and is newer too.

Delft February 20th, 2008 07:48 AM

We have been on GEM, the newest sister to pearl and jewel, either ship I think will be wonderful.

I agree about the specialty places to eat. We were given a night at Cagneys, and I really cannot say I found the food any better than main dinning rooms and certainly the service was not quicker or better. It was a nice evening, and I accept the gift with gratitude and appreciation , however I would never pay for it myself. We were six for the dinner and all felt the same way.

chrisbd1 February 22nd, 2008 07:56 PM

I had the King Cut Prime Rib at Cagneys and it was HUGE (14 Oz). I guess small is relative :roll:

rinker250 February 22nd, 2008 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisbd1
I had the King Cut Prime Rib at Cagneys and it was HUGE (14 Oz). I guess small is relative :roll:

I had the surf and turf.
The prime rib was the size of a Hostess Ding Dong...only 1/2 as thick. The lobster meat was the size of my baby finger. I regretted not ordering the King Cut as soon as my plate hit the table. :(

chrisbd1 February 22nd, 2008 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rinker250
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisbd1

I had the surf and turf.
The prime rib was the size of a Hostess Ding Dong...only 1/2 as thick. The lobster meat was the size of my baby finger. I regretted not ordering the King Cut as soon as my plate hit the table. :(

The one that I saw on someone elses plate sure seemed larger than that. I ordered the T-Bone and didn't like it. I was offered another entree. Did you tell the waiter than you didn't think you were given an adult sized dinner?