Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 16th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Passenger

Default Why is the crew on Norwegian so young?

I really enjoyed the attractive friendly and efficent crew who worked at the public roles for NCL (Dawn). I think they were a good example of how hiring foreign workers can be an effective alternative to spoiled and lazy American workers found on Cruise-ships in Hawaii.

What really shocked me was how young almost all the workers were on the cruiseline. Why don't they hire people with more experience and maybe who are over 30? I suspect there are many middle aged people from a variety of countries all over the World who would enjoy working hard on a cruise ship. Is there age discrimination in the hiring practices of cruise ships?
Old February 16th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Admiral

The majority of the ships we have been on have young crew members but if you visit with them you may find out they aren't quite as young as the apear to be. Many have been with the cruise lines 3-10 years. The only line we have cruised with an older crew was Princess. Many of thier crew members appeared to be from mid age to closer to 60s. I know 60 is still mid aged, heck we keep telling our kids we are middle aged. They don't buy that for second.
Old February 17th, 2008, 02:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

I think a lot of it has to do with the lifestyle required if you work on a cruise ship. Most of the crew (room stewards, waitstaff, etc.) work 10 month contracts -- which means they are away from their family for that long. I'd hate to do that even as a young, single person -- but it would be far worse, emotionally, if I had to be away from my spouse and children for that long.

Having said that, I know many of the crew do have kids and/or spouses they leave to work on the ships. On the NCL Sea, our room steward (who was excellent) said he had a wife and 3 boys at home -- all in their twenties. Our favorite waiter on the Pearl, from India, had a wife and four-year old boy at home. Another waitress on the Pearl from the Philippines had a picture of her young daughter handing from her key-chain -- who was home in the care of her grandmother.

It's a little different for the officers onboard, whose contracts are shorter - but it's still wouldn't be an easy situation in which to raise a family.
Old February 17th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith
Default Re: Why is the crew on Norwegian so young?

Quote:
Originally Posted by conversationist
I really enjoyed the attractive friendly and efficent crew who worked at the public roles for NCL (Dawn). I think they were a good example of how hiring foreign workers can be an effective alternative to spoiled and lazy American workers found on Cruise-ships in Hawaii.

What really shocked me was how young almost all the workers were on the cruiseline. Why don't they hire people with more experience and maybe who are over 30? I suspect there are many middle aged people from a variety of countries all over the World who would enjoy working hard on a cruise ship. Is there age discrimination in the hiring practices of cruise ships?
You have such a way with words

Captain
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

I was 23 when I started as 1st officer with NCL and 26 when I left. It's true that when you get older and more settled down it can be hard to combine cruise life and family life.
Old February 19th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Admiral

I didnt really notice that the crew on NCL was younger than other lines. I would imagine it would be hard to be older and work away from family so much.