Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 24th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Beginner

Default SS Norway/Blue Lady

I saw a terrible sight today. On Youtube.com they showed the SS Norway in a terrible state. The upper decks, bridge and forward funnel are all gone.The masts are gone and the bow is being cut into. For anyone who ever saw this great ship up close it is heart breaking.
Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I know so many people who sailed this ship, and, so enjoyed her..One stayed in a cabin the size of a broom closet, but she still had nice words for the last of an era....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 25th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Admiral

Had many great times on her.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old March 3rd, 2008, 01:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

Au Revoir my dear friend, I am so sorry they threw you to the butcher.

Read and post cruise reviews

Booked :razz:
NCL Sun - November 2011
Disney Dream - December 2012 *Honeymoon*

Cruised
Monarch OTS - June 2010
Carnival Triumph - January 2010
Carnival Glory - April 2007
Carnival Inspiration - July 2006
NCL Star - April 2003
Carnival Sensation - April 1998
Old May 9th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Beginner

This a down right disgrace what ncl did??to the norway and there cover up! about the plan to get rid of her...I WILL NOT SAIL NCL EVER AGAIN .................EVER ..THIS SHIP NEEDED TO RETIIRE LIKE A LADY THAT SHE WAS.. A CRYING SHAME TO SEE THE PHOTOS..THIS WAS A BIG NCL COVER UP RIGHT DOWN TO THE BOILER BEING PATCHED..TO COVER UP DANGER OF THE EXPLOSION THAT KILLED..CREW MEMBERS ..THIS IS NOW BEING REVIEWED...GOOGLE IT FOR INFO.
Old May 9th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Admiral

I sailed on her 4 times. First time terrific in a junior suite - very elegant. Next time in a junior suite but they had downsized it considerably - still very nice. Next time NCL had been sold to Star Ferries of Hong Kong (as in China) and obviously not being kept up ... promenade deck had been worn thin in many areas, dining room was more like something out of steerage class as was the service. Fourth and last time - even more decrepid.

The last time I saw her was when we returned for disembarkation from the Voyager - and she had just blown up. How absolutely horrible that the Chinese did that to a beautiful liner ... and their crew.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old May 18th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Passenger

I sailled on the SS Norway in '98..... and it was ready for the cutting torch
even then. We had the best room inn the house, a balcony suite facing the rear. Our room was right out of skid row. As an introduction to cruising it almost put an end to what has turned into a very enjoyable pasttime.
http://members.tripod.com/phdewar/main.htm

Stick with the big four... RCL, Celebrity, HAL and Princess.... you can't go wrong.
Old May 18th, 2008, 08:53 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete

Old June 1st, 2008, 08:19 PM
Beginner

Sadly enough, even though she has been decommissioned and broken down into scrap for sometime now, NCL just finished going to court to pay for the incident where the boiler blew and killed 8 or so crew members! I worked for NCL and had the pleasure of going into dry-dock for 6 weeks or so. I got to tour the entire engine room - what an adventure! I'm glad I was offered the chance to be on the ship - in good times and in bad!!
Old August 16th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Beginner

:) Although I am sure people have their reasons for liking this barge. Sorry LOL NOT ME OR MY FAMILY ARE SUCH FANS, having (unfortunately) been passengers 2 weeks before the explosion, (which i do feel bad about what happened), I donnot feel bad about the ship being ripped down. Truthfully, I joyfully check once in a while online "hoping" to see even more images of it being ripped apart. This was positively the worst trip I was ever on. Not only a "filthy" run down mess, but small, and offered no "fun" what so ever, and had absolutely no class to it. If you do a search online, another unfortunate passenger as myself actually described the accomodations as a "TOMB WITH A TOILET", do a search and you will see what I am talking about as the author of that comment is extremely acurate in his/her description. In addition NCL is the worst line I ever experienced, and this ship should have been put down "years" before it was. Best bet is Royal Car, or Carnival. Again I am happy to see such images. Having much better taste and expectations again this was a "barge" and I am being nice.
Old August 16th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Captain

I never sailed Norway so have no ties. But don't most retired ships get cut up for scrap? A few are turned into floating hotels I know and the occasional ship gets sunk for an artificial reef......but behind the scenes I thought most got the torch for scrap.
Old August 16th, 2009, 06:41 PM
First Mate

polodeville sounds like a troll to me :evil:
Old August 20th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Admiral

You took the words right out of my mouth, Hpine1!

We sailed on the Norway in January '03, about 4 months before the boiler accident. It was our first experience on NCL, and it was a very positive one. Before that, we had been sailed mostly on Carnival and Premier (Big Red Boat). Contrary to what some folks have been saying here, we were most impressed by our cabin! And it wasn't a suite or anything like that. We booked what was called a "superior outside" cabin on the Norway Deck (N131), and it cost us only $1,375 for the 7-night cruise.

The cabin was very well appointed. It had been a first-class cabin when the SS Norway (and the SS France before that) had been doing their Transatlantic runs, and it was huge by modern-day standards. It was 325 sq. ft. in area, with 2 bathrooms! One bath was full-sized with a tub w/shower, bidet and wash basin. The second bath was a toilet and sink only. There was a mirrored dressing table, and as much storage space as I've ever seen in a ship's cabin.

To each his own, I guess. We enjoyed our cruise just as much as we had enjoyed all our previous cruises. My personal favorite memory is when we were returning to the ship after our stop in St. Thomas. As the tender approached the Norway, the orange-colored lifeboats were being put through their paces. We watched as about a dozen boats were buzzing around this big blue mother-ship, like a swarm of ducks with their mommy. I took a couple of photos of this scene, which I still treasure as two of my favorite cruise-related shots.

Jack 8)
Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old August 20th, 2009, 07:13 PM
First Mate

KimJack. I have sailed her 2X. Both cabins were N065. An inside cabin. It was one of the few single bottom bed with with a bunkbed. The same as an 1-A on Carnaval. Plenty of room. I was heartbroken when they said she was not going to be repaired.
Old September 11th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Familiar Face

9/11/09
My first two cruises were on the Norway 1999,2000. They were Big Band cruises with 4 big name bands on board and two dance floors. Being a big band fanatic I fully enjoyed all of them. The only original big band was L Larry Elgart. Got to talk with him. The others were successor bands with the leader usually a former member. Some of the bands included, Tommy Dorsey, Jimmy Dorsey, Harry James, Benny Goodman. Tex Beneke fronted a band featuring Glenn Miller stylr songs. He passed away a year or so later. I look back often at those two first cruises. This year will be my 12th cruise and my sixth on NCL.
Bill Simon, Vero beach FL.