Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2008, 01:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Scrapping History

I know it would happen eventually. Everything comes to inevitable end, but not like this. I hate NCL for what they have done to the Norway, inevitably what they WILL do to the Independence, and more than likely the United States as well.

They tossed the Norway like last week's chinese, the ship that basically made NCL who they are (or think they are) today. No apology to the cruising public, no explanation for thier actions, nothing. They simply sent her away, while running with thier tail between thier legs. They are hiding behind thier new builds, thier "free style" way of cruising and this deal with Apollo.

Certainly looks like the Indy is headed for the same fate as well as the Big U. As I said before, I know it happens to them all eventually, I know 30 years from now the Voyager of the Seas will be on that beach. But at least NCL could explain thier actions. They could at least come out with a statement instead of "sneaking" around with these ships. I know I personally will not be sailing with NCL anytime soon, if they scrap the Big U I will never sail on them, and will advise others to do the same.

I know my small actions will probably do nothing in the big picture. I had to let it out, I can't stand watching another country butcher history. It will be hell if they butcher the Big U. the last ocean liner we OWN, and a BIG part of OUR history.

Go ahead you crazy NCL supporters and agrue with me, but I am just saying they need to grow some male parts and explain themselves.

Read and post cruise reviews

Booked :razz:
NCL Sun - November 2011
Disney Dream - December 2012 *Honeymoon*

Cruised
Monarch OTS - June 2010
Carnival Triumph - January 2010
Carnival Glory - April 2007
Carnival Inspiration - July 2006
NCL Star - April 2003
Carnival Sensation - April 1998
Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2008, 06:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

I don't think NCL was hiding anything when they decided not to repair the Norway after the explosion and deaths of the crewmen. It was not fiscally feasible to repair the ship. As for the other ships they were wrecks when they bought them so it's not their fault if they decide not to rebuild them.
A crazy NCL supporter
Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

But it is thier responsibility to explain themselves. Obviously you did not watch or follow the Norway's story. NCL had offers from other companies to buy the ship, even the UAE offered to purchase the ship and turn her into a floating hotel. Now the UAE is doing this with the QE2 instead, I know NCL would of been able to sell the Norway for a very pretty penny to the UAE, as it is one of the wealthiest counties on Earth.

As for the other two, NCL obviously thought they could rebuild the other two ships, as they did purchase them. I am sure NCL did not purchase the ships blind, and they definatly were not forced to purchase them by any means. It would not bother me as much if NCL had explained themselves, or at least made some kind of a statement regarding the ships. When the Indy was towed out of harbor NCL could of at least released a statement regarding thier actions. The Hawaii incident was a rumor, the ship was not turned away in Hawaii, why would it be? She sailed there for over a decade, her and her sister ship and both had abestos onboard, heck there are even office buildings and houses out there that still contain abestos. Not saying the stuff is good, but still the exposure is not THAT deadly as to kill everyone in a 20 mile radius, otherwise they would of never harbored the ship in San Deigo.

The Big U still holds the Westbound Blue Riband award, she was the last ocean liner built by American's for American's and now some foreign NCL is holding her hostage and the silence is deafening. NCL is a bunch of cowards for not stating the obvious. I don't think money is an issue with NCL anymore since thier merger with Apollo, and all the newbuilds they have built over the past decade or so make it obvious that they have money to burn, or are in debt over thier eyeballs. I remember when NCL was nothing, when they stretched the Dreamward and the Windward in order to even stay "afloat". At that time the Norway was thier only Ace.

If you cruise NCL that is fine, but you are cruising with a bunch of cowards who cannot explain thier actions. Eventually they will go bankrupt, NCL America was horrible, and when I cruised NCL back in 2003 we could not wait to get off that horrid ship. The crew is lazy, underpaid and don't seem to care or take pride in thier work. The food is medicore, and the freestyle concept is ridiculous, that is just what I wanted to do on vacation, wait in lines for hours everyday to eat where I want. Wonderful.

NCL Sun - November 2011

Cruised
Monarch OTS - June 2010
NCL Star - April 2003
Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

NCL does not owe you any explanation for what they do with their property.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 10:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Your right. They don't owe ME any kind of explanation. They owe the paying PUBLIC an explanation for thier actions. If it was not for US they would be NOTHING.

NCL Sun - November 2011

Cruised
Monarch OTS - June 2010
NCL Star - April 2003
Old March 3rd, 2008, 10:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

Ncl doesn't owe any explanation to ANYONE under any circumstances for what they do with THEIR property.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 11:48 AM
Passenger

NCL owes explanation to no one except their shareholders. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

Free Cruise Clocks
Old March 3rd, 2008, 01:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

They didn't even do that. As a shareholder myself as well as my parents, we received no information regarding the matter. Hence why I am so upset.

NCL Sun - November 2011

Cruised
Monarch OTS - June 2010
NCL Star - April 2003
Old March 3rd, 2008, 01:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Maybe you should sell your stock and then you can relax and not worry about things you can't control.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 01:43 PM
Admiral

We were never lucky enough to cruise the Norway. We had reservtaion for 3 suites to sail her over Thanksgiving. We kept hoping and hoping they would be able to repair her. I don't hold anything against them. I think they really did want to bring her back and Yes, the Norway is what many thing of when they think NCL>

My feeling is, a business decision was made, the ship was old, apparently the damage was serious and it wasn't worth repairig.

It is like watching some of the Las Vegas hotels many of us remember as part of Vegas history being brought down.

Nita
Old March 4th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378

The Norway seemed nice but we all have our ladies we love(my lady the Doric sunk on her way to the breakers...kinda makes me happy she went down her own way) but it is a business.
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America