Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 4th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default NCL DAWN: my review of cruise 2/24-2/3/08

We just got back and we did have a great cruise. This one sailed out of Miami. This was our 8th cruise with NCL.

Here is a quick review of my impressions of the ship which I also cruised out of NYC in Oct. 2006.

Check-in: Fast and Efficient. We were on the boat at Noon, but our room was not available until 2:00. The ship did leave promply on time.

Food: Most was excellent. We utilized most of the specialty restaurants. The only disappointment was Cagney's. I had to send my steak back (it was tough) and got a second one that was more tender but lacked any kind of taste which is what I had come to expect from eating at Cagney's on this ship before as well as other NCL ships. My wife had surf and turf and it was excellent.

Bamboo was one of our favorites, the portions are smaller but the taste and presentation were excellent. We went there twice because we liked it so much. I had the steak teriaki and my wife had the Shrimp Teriaki. Mke sure you order the shrimp appetizer!

We ate at Aqua and it was very good. The menu selection (same as all of the regular restaurants for that night) was very limited we thought.

Impressions, the Italian restaurant, was excellent and we ended up eating there the first and last night of the cruise.

Entertainment:
Very good entertainment with the exception of the shows by the Jean Ann Ryan Company. This is mostly due to the fact that the two major shows were re-runs of the same shows we saw in Oct. of 2006. I can't understand why the schedule has not been updated since that time. The comedian, Dave Heenan and the Magician, BArt Rockett were very good and very entertaining.

Our favorite performers were AliveStar, the duo from Poland that plays in the Dazzles Lounge nightly; singers/pianists Pamala Stanley and Bernie Martini who did acts in the theater as well as nightly gigs in Gatsby's and the Star Bar.

The NCL Dawn Showband deserves a lot of credit too. They are professional to the last note.

Ports of call: Very good. Our favorite was Tortola where we took a non-ship sponsored excursion to the Baths at Virgin Gorda. This is a must see as far as I am concerned. We felt that Samana was not really worth the stop unless you have an excursion planned. We tried to set up one on shore but all of the boats were booked for the Whale Watching trip we wanted. We were disappointed that the port for St. Thomas was not Charlotte Amalie but Havensight instead.

Pools and upper decks: filled up fast on sea days. On days at port, no problem.

Diembarcation: Fast and easy. We did not use the express option since we had transfers and were advised not to do this but we found out that we could have done this and gotten to the airport earlier.

Overall reaction to this cruise was positive. We met a lot of nice people and took away a lot of nice memories.
Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2008, 05:40 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to gfleo

Glad you had a great time. I also enjoyed very much while on the Pearl, and even have a Usd 250 certificate for a future cruise. Don't know yet, because as you can see below I'm pretty much fully booked.But most probably I'm going to wait for the first F3 ship to come out
Caribbean Princess
C. Destiny
N.Pearl Nov
C.Valor Sept 2008
Ruby Princess
C.Splendor
Indy
Liberty OTS 2009
Carnival Liberty
Eurodam
Radiance OTS
Mariner OTS
C. Freedom
C. Triumph
Navigator OTS(TA)
C.Dream
Solstice 2010
Costa Fortuna
Summit
Norwegian Dawn
C.Glory Sept 2011
Brilliance OTS 2012
Mariner OTS (TA)
Liberty OTS
C.Breeze 2013
C.Conquest
Serenade OTS TA
C.Sunshine 2014
Indy
Vision OTS
Old March 4th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Cruise Maniac, You are my hero. You really live up to your name. I can honestly say that I have never had a "bad" cruise. Of course that is easier to say when you live in Buffalo and the frozen rain is hitting the window outside my office as I type this message!

It definately isn't the vacation for everyone, but everytime I start to think about another vacation, cruises are the first thing I look at.

-Jim
Old March 4th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378

i am looking forward to trying the dawn for new years this year
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America