Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 6th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Beginner

Default NCL Jewel March 28, 2008 - Dress code 4 kids (age 7,9,11)

I am traveling with 3 kids (ages 7, 9, and 11). We usually travel with RCL but the Jewel had such a great price for a 9 day cruise I couls not pass it up. On RCL my kids need to wear slacks or dresses, respectively, NO jeans in the dining rooms. I have read conflicting information. Some cruisers say that NICE jeans are allowed in the dining room for children.
What is the dress code for kids in the main dining room???? Nice jeans and Nice T-shirts ok??? Dress sandals for girls OK???? Any information you can share with me about your experience with NCL and children will be highly appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Admiral

Jeans are just fine in the dining room for your kids. In fact almost all lines have reduced the dress code to allow jeans except on formal nights. With NCL not having any official formal nights jeans are just fine every night, but make sure they are neat and fit well.

Nita
Old March 7th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Admiral

You will find you have a lot of flexibility and extra options with NCL. Depending on the kids and your preferences.
Since our kid's are younger, ages 5 and 7, we choose a couple of nights that we all have dinner together in the dining room or in a speciality restaurant. But many nights the kids prefer to grab a quick bite from Kid's Corner which is a special area set up in the buffet with kid food.
Then later in the evening d/h and I will enjoy a nice sit down dining experience in one of the speciality restaurants.
My kids do enjoy dressing up sometimes for the optional formal nights, so I always try to pack at least a couple nice outfits for them to wear, but honestly one thing I do appreciate is not having to haul all those extra clothes on a cruise, especially now that the airlines have tightened their baggage allowances.
Just a side note, if you do decide to splurge a few nights on the speciality restaurants, you are not required to pay the surcharge for the children who order from the children's menu.
The kid's club operates somewhat differently on NCL ships than NCL especially on port days. Usually involves signing up the day before and there is an hourly charge for this service, and they do not offer in cabin babysitting like RCCL does.
Let us know how you feel when you get back. I have been thinking seriously about booking another RCCL cruise, I've been having a lot of frustrations lately with NCL and would appreciate it if you would share your experiences contrasting the two lines when you return.
Old March 18th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Beginner

Hi There
I just did the 9 day cruise at the end of Feb. There are places where you cannot wear Jeans...for example Tzars Palace and I think Azura...they are both included in the normal dining. Another where you cannot wear is
Cagneys...this is a steak house and there is a 10 to $ 20 charge for eating there. I think also the Bistro one cant wear jeans. Hope this helps. ( maybe it wont matter for kids though...better contact NCl)
pogo