Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 13th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Beginner

Default Liquor Purchases?

Would like to find out if it is less expensive to purchase the duty free liquor on the ship or at one of the ports? We are on the Sun on 4/5/08 and will stop at Roatan,Cozumel and Belize. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Liquor Purchases?

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Ann
Would like to find out if it is less expensive to purchase the duty free liquor on the ship or at one of the ports? We are on the Sun on 4/5/08 and will stop at Roatan,Cozumel and Belize. Thanks.
Bcause of where your ports are I think you will do just as well on board, maybe Cozumel will have been prices on Kahlua (spelling) and Tequilla (spelling again) BTW, if you have time be sure to go the Ponchos for lunch in Cozumel. While you are there you will want to do a little shopping. It is a must for us everytime we go to Cozumel, probably they only place we return to often.

Nita
Old March 16th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Beginner

Default Liquor Purchases on NCL Sun

We saw nothing about the option to purchase liquor "set ups" for our room in the NCL materials. Now that our cruise on the Sun is one week away, it looks like it is too late as we are told you must order two weeks in advance. Does this mean we cannot purchase liquor or wine for our room once we are on board?
Thank you for any suggestions as to what we might do at this point.
Old March 16th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Beginner

Write an email to shipcoordinatorsun@ncl.com It may not be too late to order a set up in advance. I don't see why you can't order set ups for your room when you get onboard the ship. However, I have found out that the bottles you order are very expensive. For instance a bottle of Smirnoff vodka is 40.00 and a bottle of vermouth is $40.00. Pretty expensive!!!

Drinks are supposed to be about 7.50 for a regular cocktail. Cokes are supposed to be about $2.00 for a beverage glass.

I was really inquiring about the duty free shopping for liquor on the ship which you cannot take to your room. You can only order that and they will have it ready for you when you leave the ship. The last time we sailed we did get some good prices on vodka and Bailey's Irish cream but we had driven to the pier and taken the boat. This time we are flying so will have to check it on the plane. Also I believe you can only take so much back with you without paying duty on the additional overage. We are going out on the sun on 4/5/08. Would love to see some new reports on the ship and your experiences when you return. Have a lot of fun.
Old March 16th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Beginner

Thank you, will do! Sorry I did not answer your question about cost aboard versus at the ports of call. I'll report on this upon my return.
Happy sailing!
Old March 22nd, 2008, 10:02 AM
Passenger

The booze on board is a good price, unless you go to St Thomas. St Thomas has the best prices and you can take 5 litres pp back, duty free. I read that the duty on addisional booze is 3% of the purchase price, still an excellent deal.

As for bar set-up, given the cost for drinks, even $40 per litre makes it a bargin. You can carry on your own mixers and soda. Our bar tab went from staggering to tiny, using this option. I also filled water bottle with free OJ in the morning and kept it in the fridge. This helped alot.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 02:23 PM
First Mate

Prices are better in St. Maartin but you are only supposed to bring back one bottle each Your call on the other 4.I believe you are also allowed one extra bottle of local made rum unless this has been changed.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 02:42 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum
Prices are better in St. Maartin but you are only supposed to bring back one bottle each Your call on the other 4.I believe you are also allowed one extra bottle of local made rum unless this has been changed.
As far as I know it is still one liter bottle and 1 bottle of local rum if you buy in St Maartin: 4 or 5 bottles plus 1 bottle of local rum in St Thomas.

Nita
Old March 22nd, 2008, 04:27 PM
Passenger

Default liquor purchases for personal consumption?

Any suggestions for NCL Gem for liquor purchasing on board? Do you suggest bringing own mixers? Can you bring alcohal in your suitcase? I know they will ask but i guess you can say no? Any suggestions will help
Old March 22nd, 2008, 05:01 PM
Beginner

I believe the rules are the same for all NCL ships. You are not supposed to bring liquor on board - they exray your luggage, carry on etc.. If it is found they bring it to the Naughty Room i.e. room on ship where you will be asked to report to before luggage can be brought to your room. If liquor is found they will keep it until you leave the ship on the last day. This is what I have read on other posts. However, you are allowed to bring cokes, water. I am sure there will be other future comments as well to you.

Also, since liquor drinks are approx. $7.50 each, you may want to order a bar set up in advance (up to two weeks before departure). I believe a bottle of liquor is $40.00. Email to shipcordinatorsun@ncl.com

I have ordered a set up - sent them my credit card number - four days ago and have not yet gotten confirmation. I will call them tomorrow afternoon, if needed. Have fun.
Old April 5th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Beginner

shopping onboard and in cozumel. as the shops are owned by the same company. the shops on the ship are a concession and is owned by the same company that has the shops at 2 of the 3 piers in cozumel. you will be docking at the down town pier and the shop is right there as you step off the ship. also as far as the allounce is concerned. ( i am not sure why you are commenting on st martin purchases as the person is not even going there ) but its 1 litre per person 21 years or older. and 1 carton of cigarettes. if you exceed that allounce then its approx. $2.50 per bottle payable to customs upon debarking in Miami? if you have under 5 bottles generally the payable amount is wavered. as they generally dont collect duties on amounts less than $10 payable. i hope this helps. but all the same check out the onboard store for prices and "2 bottle special" and shopping onboard will leave you more port time to do as you pleasure. (beachs, tours etc etc) Russell
Old January 18th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Passenger

I CONTACTED THE SHIP CORDINATOR SHE EMAILED ME BACK AND SAID IT WAS 83.00 FOR A LITER ON THE GEM? DONT THINK THATS A DEAL.. DONNA
Old January 22nd, 2009, 02:06 PM
First Mate

I had a bar set-up on my last cruise and figured it was much cheaper than what I would have purchased glass per glass of liquor, and I got to take the rest home.

Old January 22nd, 2009, 02:22 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Prices have definitely gone up:

This is the current price list, for in-cabin bar setup, that I received from the Jade's event coordinator. These prices do not include mixers.

Type of Liquor Price Bottle Size

Bourbon/Whiskey
Seagram's 7 Crown $60 1 Ltr
Jack Daniel's Black $80 1 Ltr
Crown Royal Special Reserve $100 750 Ml
Cognac
Courvoisier VS $60 1 Ltr
Rémy Martin V.S.O.P $80 1 Ltr
Gin
Beefeater $60 1 Ltr
Bombay Sapphire $80 1 Ltr
Liqueurs
Brogan Irish Cream $60 1 Ltr
Southern Comfort $60 1 Ltr
Di Saronno Amaretto $80 1 Ltr
Godiva Chocolate $80 750 Ml
Grand Marnier $80 750 Ml
Kahlua $80 1 Ltr
Pama $80 750 Ml
Rum
Bacardi Superior $60 1.14 Ltr
Captain Morgan $60 1 Ltr
Scotch Whiskey
Cutty Sark $60 1 Ltr
Glenfiddich $80 1 Ltr
Chivas Regal $80 1 Ltr
Tequila
Cuervo Gold $60 1 Ltr
1800 Reposado $80 750 Ml
Sauza Tres Generations $100 750 Ml
Vodka
Smirnoff 80 $60 1 Ltr
Absolut $80 1 Ltr
Absolut Citron $80 1 Ltr
Absolut Kurant $80 1 Ltr
Absolut Peper $80 1 Ltr
Absolut Mandarin $80 1 Ltr
Absolut Apeach $80 1 Ltr
Absolut Ruby Red $80 1 Ltr
Grey Goose $100 1 Ltr
Grey Goose L'Orange $100 1 Ltr
Grey Goose La Vanille $100 1 Ltr
Grey Goose La Poire $100 1 Ltr

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 22nd, 2009, 02:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were on the Pearl in December and told prior to the trip that you are not able to bring liquor (even wine) onboard BUT you can bring 1 bottle of wine each in your carryon. They will take you to a special desk and you then pay them $15.00 on each bottle. You are allowed to carry these on, take them to your room for comsumption there or, by showing your receipt have them opened at your dining table. The gentleman that did our $15.00 asked why we hadn't just put the bottles in the checked luggage. You be the Judge.............
Old January 22nd, 2009, 02:35 PM
Passenger

Thanks so much for all your help..Donna :
Old January 22nd, 2009, 02:57 PM
First Mate

I know, i've been told to put liquor in my checked luggage. Haven't done it yet at least. I worry about it breaking and even in a big ziplock it would be a MESS.

IMHO I'd forgo the wine since we have to pay the $15 corkage fee. I'm not a wine connoisseur and so most of my wine is cheaper than that. (I'm more of a Kahlua chick)

Old January 22nd, 2009, 03:18 PM
First Mate

If you are going to St. Maartin and St. Thomas the booze is cheaper in St Maartin however you are only allowed the one bottle however as mentioned earlier 5 bottles bought on the ship or other places is not worth the paper work of customs and if so it is only 15% which still gives you a decided savings .I think I am corrcect in saying that all of the cruise lines will match any written prices on items bought on shore On our last cruise I saw a person show a picture of the price from an individual store and it was honored.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 08:02 PM
Passenger

We were on the Pearl in Jan and had packed a bottle of vodka in our luggage. When the ship was departing the port of Miami, we received a letter delivered to our stateroom that we must go to deck 7 mid ship to have them hand search our luggage. Once I got down there , there was a very long line and many older people stating they had not brought any alcohol as I had admitted that we had. They were very frustrated but I understood knowing this was a "no-no". They searched all three of our suitcases and found the bottle of vodka. Some had nothing more than maybe antacid and such but I guess enough to raise suspicion. I asked if I could pay a corkage fee like a fellow ahead of me w/ a box of wine ($30 cork fee) and they said no liquor was allowed to have a corkage fee. They tagged it, told me to pick up at the end of the cruise and left me to take my luggage on my own to my stateroom.

This is the truth, no exaggerations or complaints...just trying to help fellow cruisers with the same concerns.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 09:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi669
We were on the Pearl in Jan and had packed a bottle of vodka in our luggage. When the ship was departing the port of Miami, we received a letter delivered to our stateroom that we must go to deck 7 mid ship to have them hand search our luggage. Once I got down there , there was a very long line and many older people stating they had not brought any alcohol as I had admitted that we had. They were very frustrated but I understood knowing this was a "no-no". They searched all three of our suitcases and found the bottle of vodka. Some had nothing more than maybe antacid and such but I guess enough to raise suspicion. I asked if I could pay a corkage fee like a fellow ahead of me w/ a box of wine ($30 cork fee) and they said no liquor was allowed to have a corkage fee. They tagged it, told me to pick up at the end of the cruise and left me to take my luggage on my own to my stateroom.

This is the truth, no exaggerations or complaints...just trying to help fellow cruisers with the same concerns.
yep, that is about the way it goes and I am willing to bet some of those guys did have booze..We got busted on our last cruise. Normally I do not try to smuggle, I think it is too much trouble and I understand the policy, but we were invited to a BYOB cocktail party in a suite the first night. We had oredered a bottle of scotch and yet I just thought that was too much to lug to the party, so the night before we sailed I purchased a 1/2 pint of Jim Beam for hubby to take to the party..I almost always drink wine>> Busted, yes, we were. We didn't bother to claim it at the end of the cruise and I entered the party saying "BUSTED"

Nita
Old January 22nd, 2009, 09:44 PM
First Mate

Again I will state that NCL is the most strict on bringing booze on board and if this is of concern to you woul\d suggest that you try another line without these strict rules which are obviously in place to sell you more on the ship.Unless you are very good at hiding you will be called to the "NAUGHTY ROOM " and made to waste a lot of time on your first night.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 10:13 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Again I will state that NCL is the most strict on bringing booze on board and if this is of concern to you woul\d suggest that you try another line without these strict rules which are obviously in place to sell you more on the ship.Unless you are very good at hiding you will be called to the "NAUGHTY ROOM " and made to waste a lot of time on your first night.
you are right, I would venture a guess though, more lines are going to start cracking down, If fact a few have, but it is much more hit or miss than NCL. NCL used to be hit or miss until about 2 years ago...

Nita
Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:29 AM
Captain

Quote:
In fact RCCL is more strict but not yet as good at finding the booze. . In fact in bold on the FAQs on their website the reserve the option to put you off the ship.

Q: Can I bring liquor (from home or from a port) onboard?

A: Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests under the age of 21 will not have alcohol returned to them.

Please Note: All guests must comply with TSA guidelines for transporting liquids

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:44 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by donna3798
I CONTACTED THE SHIP CORDINATOR SHE EMAILED ME BACK AND SAID IT WAS 83.00 FOR A LITER ON THE GEM? DONT THINK THATS A DEAL.. DONNA
Well it's still a bargain. There are 22.5 shots in a litre. If the price per shot is $7.50 then it adds up to $168.
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/s...avelin&match=1
http://www.igougo.com/profile/profil...emberID=574103
http://picasaweb.google.com/beentravelin
Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:51 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by beentravelin
Quote:
Originally Posted by donna3798
Well it's still a bargain. There are 22.5 shots in a litre. If the price per shot is $7.50 then it adds up to $168.
I ordered my Grey Goose for $103 from Sandra on Monday. It is a great deal if only for having the option of making a couple of martinis to enjoy on my aft facing balcony as the sun sets.

It is now Friday 1/23/2009 at 11:51:05 AM
Event: Feb 4th Gem
Scheduled For 2/4/2009 4:00:00 PM
12 days 4 hours 8 minutes 55 seconds or
2 weekends or
12 days or
292 hours (195 waking hours) or
17,528 minutes or
1,051,734 seconds

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old January 23rd, 2009, 01:26 PM
First Mate

My girlfriend packed gin, vodka and rum in bottled water bottles and put in his checked luggage. He didn't get tapped. But who knows?

I like the bar set up.