Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 10th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Beginner

Default NCL Dawn

I am taking NCL Dawn June 8th out of NY going to Bermuda. I have taken other cruise with Royal Caribbean and Celebrity do they compare to NCL? Also I have been reading a lot of reviews about the food not being to good is it really worth it to spend the extra money to go to the specially restaurants??
Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Beginner

Been on the Dawn twice and am going a third time the same time you are! We think the specialty restaurants are definitely worth it. As a matter of fact, we've never had a bad meal anywhere on the Dawn. We've eaten at Blue Lagoon, Cagney's, Le Bistro, Teppanyaki, and all the other free reservation-less restaurants. All were excellent.

If you go to Le Bistro, ask for the chocolate fondue for dessert. It's not on the menu, but you can ask for it.

Happy Sailing!! See you on the 8th!
Old April 10th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Admiral

As has been said over and over: food is very subjective. My advise, everyone should try one of the sur charge dining rooms, not because the regular food is bad, just becasue the sur charge restaurants are so good. That being said, most of the food we have had on all ships including NCL has been very good, there will always be a few things that you wished had just been thrown overboard instead of served to you.

Nita
Old April 11th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Yeoman

When you donĀ“t like the food you get on a cruise, let them know and ask for something else.
Old April 11th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378

i love food (i had gastric bypass surgery last February and lost 250 pounds off of my formerlyu 509 lbs body) as you can see I have experience in eating and NCL has great food onboard. Some I do not like but all of it I can eat. If you are looking for service and food like you would have on Cunard or Holland America then NCL is not for you, but if your hair is not Blue you will Love NCL....
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old April 14th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Passenger

Default Re: NCL Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstar82
I am taking NCL Dawn June 8th out of NY going to Bermuda. I have taken other cruise with Royal Caribbean and Celebrity do they compare to NCL? Also I have been reading a lot of reviews about the food not being to good is it really worth it to spend the extra money to go to the specially restaurants??
I have no experience with other cruise lines. The NCL Dawn is fresh in my mind, just home yesterday. The food is fine and some great. But as with most things, what I may like/love, you may find fault in. I took to breakfast in the Garden Cafe, which is the ongoing buffet. I partically enjoyed the salmon, onions with capers. Since we were pool side every day, we also used the Garden Cafe for lunch or the Bimini Cafe for a simple burger. Dinner at The Venitian, in my opinion was poor. I cannot even remember what I had. LeBistro was very good. I had escargo there and it was delicious, but my lobster entree was over cooked. I probably should have said something, but it was not that terrible. The Impressions, also a free place, was delicious and outstanding & went twice. I don't especially like red Italian sauce on everything and this place allowed you to pick your pasta your way. And there were entrees that were not just red sauce Italian. I particulary love Sushi, so for the added $15.00 cover it was well worth all the food you could enjoy there. The Sushi chef offered something off the menu to try. Very nice. We went twice. Some friends of ours went to Cagneys. I had heard so much negative about it that I just steered clear. I was told that it was just okay.
I also heard from friends that you can go to the Asian Fusion and order off the menu there and also off the sushi menu. I did not try the Hibatchi restaurant, Teppanayi, but it looked really good.

Bottom line. If it is not in your budget to spend the cover for the specialty restaurants, you should be very happy at the restaurants that are included. They all post their menus at the door. You can decide before you sit.

I wish you a wonderful trip!
If I can answer any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

NCL Dawn 4-6 to 4-13
Old April 15th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Beginner

Thanks! Sounds like we will be trying a little bit of everything!! For me this will be the 1st taking a free style cruise and be able to decide where I want to eat! I guess that were some of the confusing is coming from plus reading mixed review about the food! I have never experiences bad food on a cruise and I am sure I won't this time around either! 8)

Is it hard to reservation to the specialty restaurants? We would be look for a later seating I have read they are easier to get.
Old April 15th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Admiral

later seating, after 9pm is easier, but it isn't that hard to get 7pm or 6:30 if you consentrate on the early part of the cruise. It is the last 2 or 3 nights when people are getting tired of the main dining rooms or want to try the sur charge and specialty ones.

Nita
Old April 15th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstar82
Thanks! Sounds like we will be trying a little bit of everything!! For me this will be the 1st taking a free style cruise and be able to decide where I want to eat! I guess that were some of the confusing is coming from plus reading mixed review about the food! I have never experiences bad food on a cruise and I am sure I won't this time around either! 8)

Is it hard to reservation to the specialty restaurants? We would be look for a later seating I have read they are easier to get.
When we went to the specialty restaurants, we went at 7:15pm. No problem getting a reservation. The Sushi bar does not take reservations and was never seen totally booked up. The last night, Saturday night, the only reservation we could get at Impressions was at 8:15pm. Still not so terrible. We had a drink at Gatsby's before and then were called to our table.

I don't think you will have an issue with reservations. It is easy enough to call to the restaurant of your choice.

I also might add.........the wait staff, chefs, entire staffing of the whole ship was above and beyond fabulous. Really!! These folks are trained well by NCL. They respectfully work very hard at making your experience a great experience.
Old April 16th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Beginner

Nva2Late ~ who was the Cruise Director on the Dawn last week?

We are getting pretty excited about sailing on her again (3rd time). June 8th we're on our way!
Old April 16th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Beginner

Only 48 more days!! But who's counting!!
Old April 16th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Beginner

Dstar ~ I take it you're going to NYC early???? The actual cruise is 52 days and 22 hours away (give or take a couple of minutes )!!!
Old April 16th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Passenger

[quote="2Cruise4Ever"]Nva2Late ~ who was the Cruise Director on the Dawn last week?

The cruise director was Pedro and I don't know the last name. He was funny and would come on the speaker saying he was the voice from above. I honestly did not pay attention, but my husband went to one meeting and that was how I found out.
I guess I was too busy relaxing, eating and drinking!! !

Have a GREAT trip!!
Old April 17th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Beginner

HAHA Your right unfortunately I like my count better thou! Less day at work and closer to vacation!